formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

2019 update! Going to add a bunch of new pictures here.. well maybe not a bunch. As of November 2019: Seat is mounted, switch panel is finished as is the digital dash mount. Got a new wiring harness and lq9 coils from Thorn Industries. Chase Bays tucked radiator for room and that sweet sweet dual pass design
    Last edited by formyhealth; 12-03-2019, 10:34 AM.

Keep up the hard work we in the small boat just different color cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    91 318is "under construction"
    2007 328i - daily
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sketchkid View Post
      Keep up the hard work we in the small boat just different color cars

Thanks dude I will, are you having issues regarding code 1222?

I've got some updates coming this weekend probably, new steering wheel, maybe install the new steering rack and tierods too.

Comment

Well right now I'm doing mess under the intake so hopefully that helps

2007 328i - daily
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sketchkid View Post
          Well right now I'm doing mess under the intake so hopefully that helps

I hear you, I struggled with the "mess under the intake" and feel like I sort of half assed it, but everything seems to be sealed up.

Good luck with yours!

Comment

Ya I'm try to do my best

2007 328i - daily
            sigpic

Comment

So I have started prepping the car for a repaint, I have sanded about half of it so far just down through the clear so the new base coat has some thing to stick to. I am going to respray it the same Alpine White as it is now just to clean it up. The paint wasn't to bad but there are a few pretty small dents that I wanted to fill. Also, I am going to shave the side trim, fill the clip holes with weld and then bondo it up.

I'll post up some pics of the progress this weekend.

Comment

if you're painting it yourself I advise to spray it in direct gloss.. A lot less headaches de-nibbing. No worries about shit in the BC then.
                Boris - 89 E30 325i
                84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                  if you're painting it yourself I advise to spray it in direct gloss.. A lot less headaches de-nibbing. No worries about shit in the BC then.
                  Thank you for the advice, I got an enamel paint from a place up in Portland, seems like quality stuff and was little $$ so if it gets all screwy I'm not out much.

What's BC?

Thanks!

Comment

Sounds like youre local. Welcome to the boards! Nice car I'll be watching her come back to life.
                    -Nick
                    Originally posted by 87e30
                    First of all: calm the fuck down; second of all; cool story bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler View Post
                      Sounds like youre local. Welcome to the boards! Nice car I'll be watching her come back to life.
                      Thank you for the welcome, super nice looking M5! That's a dream car for me definitely.

- Danny

Comment

great progress. makes me want to pull my injectors and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          great progress. makes me want to pull my injectors and clean.
                          Thank you, it's been a chore but its worth it, they were NASTY!

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                            Thank you for the advice, I got an enamel paint from a place up in Portland, seems like quality stuff and was little $$ so if it gets all screwy I'm not out much.

What's BC?

Thanks!
                            Yeh its a heap more forgiving, any crap that lands in the paint you can rub off with 2000 and polish it out and you wont see it.

BC is an abbreviation for Base Coat.. so BC/CC paint systems contains your base coat and then your clear coat over that. Anything that lands in your basecoat when its cannot be removed once the clear coat goes on so its really important the BC stays clean.. Which is hard to do without a booth. Its doable but my lord is it a pain in the ass. You need to sand the nibs out, then re apply blending the basecoat which sometimes leads to redoing that panel to get it to blend correctly.

DG just means direct gloss so no clear
                            Boris - 89 E30 325i
                            84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
                              Yeh its a heap more forgiving, any crap that lands in the paint you can rub off with 2000 and polish it out and you wont see it.

BC is an abbreviation for Base Coat.. so BC/CC paint systems contains your base coat and then your clear coat over that. Anything that lands in your basecoat when its cannot be removed once the clear coat goes on so its really important the BC stays clean.. Which is hard to do without a booth. Its doable but my lord is it a pain in the ass. You need to sand the nibs out, then re apply blending the basecoat which sometimes leads to redoing that panel to get it to blend correctly.

DG just means direct gloss so no clear

Cool! Thank you for the info, I am certainly a novice painter so I know it won't be flawless, and frankly I am OK with that because after all gravel and dirt roads that I'll be throwing the car around will do their fair share of paint damage.

I'll post up some high res pics when I am finished so you can let me know how I did so I can improve in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X