Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the left to to right tilt... the front front to back tilt. This will be an angle of 5 degrees or less.
    So yes, car would need to be on a level & flat surface. The top of the intake plenum would actually be a good reference for an angle finder.

I thought the M20 was 20 degrees leaned over and the 24V engines were 30 degrees.
    Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 02-28-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Alright, i'll measure one of mine in a bit

Comment

AFAIK it's not tilted at all. The bottom of the oil pan is essentially flush with the subframe.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yeah I was just out measuring it with my phone level app. It’s dead nuts at 0 degrees on the top of the manifold and valve cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Weird... because the driveshaft definitely comes out of the transmission higher than it goes into the diff... but I wouldn't have designed a system using a giubo with a static angle.

Comment

I mean I also measured it with my iPhone app that’s only accurate within 1 degree

Comment

I don't doubt that... I guess BMW could have made the manifold level with the engine tilted. It would definitely be out of the ordinary for it to be level.

Comment

I looked into this awhile ago and zeroed my angle meter off the pinch weld like were the airbox sits and I believe the motor was 2-3 degree tilted back, I cant remember exactly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

We've got an N63 out of an E71 on the engine table getting warranty valve seals done. I don't know if any pictures of the front diff would be relevant to this thread but I took some:

He's going to be on it for a while, so I can grab more pictures if needed.

Comment

Snazzy, but I'm not sure if anything is relevant to the E30 iX.

The left mount behind the left axle is something BMW has always done in their SUV's, apparently.

Also, the T-case is extremely compact.

Comment

We also have a ATC350 t-case from a F02 we are throwing out. Its all disassembled if there is any interest in pictures there..

Comment

WOuld be interesting and there are some guys here who have used the ATC... but you may not have it anymore at this point
                          I think it's pretty awesome that the ATC 700 bolts in place of the ATC 350.

Comment

I'll need to pull the airbox and AFM to get a better look, but it looks like the RWD mount arms will interfere with the AWD steering shaft, but probably not the rack itself.

I already knew that the spool valve on the iX rack would interfere with the E53 front diff and had figured out a candidate method for rotating the rack. Rotating the rack will require an "exotic" 3 or 4 joint steering shaft geometry, but that's nothing new in the hot rodding world. It'll just have to reach over the RWD mount arm. I was hoping that only E53 based swaps would need to rotate the rack, but maybe they all will. Feh.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              WOuld be interesting and there are some guys here who have used the ATC... but you may not have it anymore at this point
                              I think it's pretty awesome that the ATC 700 bolts in place of the ATC 350.

I still have it, it’s in a box under my desk

Comment

I have been thinking that I might need to take an ATC-350/700 input shaft and cut off the female splines that mate to the output shaft of an GS6-53BZ so that I can use those splines as the basis for a shaft coupler to install whatever T-case I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X