This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Open diff prevents oversteer and causes understeer which automakers feel is safer ...
    it's cheaper and has fewer maintenance items
    cars beep boop

Comment

I like the visor thingy lol
      SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
      IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
      BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

Open diff prevents oversteer and causes understeer which automakers feel is safer ...

Diff was installed successfully last night with the help of two friends, mostly supervising but insanely helpful in placing the pumpkin into place.

I think this diff is from a Z3M, but not 100% sure. The barcode on it was dirty and partially torn so I couldnt get the full part number from it. Definitely not an E30 diff though
        how does it behave with the tires off the ground?

a clutch type will turn the wheels in the same direction when lifted; torsen (the other type of LSD it could be if you're sure it isn't an e30 diff) will act like an open and rotate opposite
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
          how does it behave with the tires off the ground?

a clutch type will turn the wheels in the same direction when lifted
          A clutch type will depend on pre-load of the clutch. Stock e30 differential clutches have initial pre-load on them, requiring a certain amount of torque differential between the two wheels to break-away and allow the clutches to slip, acting like an open diff. That's why the wheels spin the same direction for our LSDs.

It is possible to remove pre-load, making the LSD act open unless you engage the ramp under accel and/or decel.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

there are also OEM BMW diffs with no preload, the Z3M four-clutch motorsport diffs.
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              there are also OEM BMW diffs with no preload, the Z3M four-clutch motorsport diffs.
              did not know that

well i guess we're going to see what happens when simon pulls off his rear cover
              past:
              1986 325e (turbo dorito)
              1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
              1985 323i baur
              current:

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                did not know that

well i guess we're going to see what happens when simon pulls off his rear cover
                I will wait until the car can do a burnout... might have to wait a while with an auto eta
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I will wait until the car can do a burnout... might have to wait a while with an auto eta
                  Dawn and water on the ground with the car pointed up hill
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

give that bitch a brakestand. bitches love brakestands.
                    past:
                    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                    1985 323i baur
                    current:

Comment

I heard bleach works well :rofl:
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Hey everyone! Anyone have an s52 swapped e30 they can take me for a quick ride in? Just wanna see what it's all about!
                        2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                        1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                        1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
                          Hey everyone! Anyone have an s52 swapped e30 they can take me for a quick ride in? Just wanna see what it's all about!
                          I do but it is getting some paint work done right now. if no one else volunteers before I get it back we can go for a drive!
                          My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Could anyone recommend a really good wheel repair & refinishing shop in the Bay Area?

My Euroweaves have some flat spots/bends and need to be refinished altogether.

Thanks!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Rite Way here in Walnut Creek is pretty well known in the Bay Area.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                              Transaction feedback
                              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                                Rite Way here in Walnut Creek is pretty well known in the Bay Area.
                                I’ll have to check them out. Their Yelp reviews also direct me to another outfit in south SF, think I’ll check em out both.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Working...
                                X