No announcement yet.

1991 318iS M50 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I have been lacking in updates guys! I have not started engine tear down yet because I am trying to only do one project at a time but may start this weekend. I have been collecting parts for the build and have received ARP studs for head and crank, goodntight T4 turbo manifold, ZF320, M54B30 (for crank, rods, and pistons. Will part out rest of engine if anyone is interested.), and I already had a M50tu with a bunch of miscellaneous parts. Also have an E36 driveshaft that I think will need to be modified to fit the ZF320. I will do my best to get pictures uploaded this evening after work. I am in search of a 2.93 LSD and T4 turbo (ideally 6262) if anyone knows of a decent one for sale! Other than that, the major components should be complete!

Comment

1991 318iS M50 Build

Got a couple parts in the mail yesterday and today. Turbo manifold, M3 front control bushings, rear shock bushings, short lug studs, and ARP studs for M50 head and main bearings. Replaced the rear shock bushings, piece of cake with an impact.

Comment

1991 318iS M50 Build

Started the afternoon by replacing the front wheel hubs. Didn’t get to test drive due to rainy weather, should be able to drive tomorrow. Got the remaining accessories removed from the M50. Coolant port and thermostat were caked up pretty good. Also got the valve cover pulled, should have a buddy over tomorrow to help pull the head. And go get the M54b30!

Comment

Got the VANOS and head removed today. Excuse the messy garage. Cylinders look pretty good, just lots of deposits on the pistons. Gonna start calling machine shops this week, likely to make the drive over to Houston for machining. Wasn’t able to pick up the M54 today though :/ hopefully this week or next weekend.

Comment

Called a couple shops today for machining estimates and have a couple questions if anyone can answer them. So I planned on just honing and decking the block, and resurfacing the head. I’d have the shop clean everything and do magnaflux on the block. Now mind you I will be swapping in the M54B30 crank, rods, and pistons. Is there other machining people would recommend? Particularly to the head? M50B25 block with M54 internals, 0.140” MLS, and stock head. Also are the M54 pistons forged? Thanks!

Comment

this thread just got way more involved than I was expecting. Scrolled down to see a turbo manifold and got stoked! What will the final displacement be on a 2.5 with the b30 crank?
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I just got off work and headed to pick up the M54 now, I’ll get back with you on final displacement. But I assume somewhere in the 2.9-3.0L range. Probably closer to 2.9 after machining and what not

Comment

Got the M54 back safe and sound!

Comment

1991 318iS M50 Build

Final displacement should be 2.98 L if my math is correct. Looking at a PTE 6262 .68 a/r turbine side and .70 a/r on compressor side. Anyone have any input on this turbo setup? Any issues with the .68? I was originally looking for an .81 but found a .68. I think it’ll make 400 rwhp and spool quickly which would be ideal. I’d go with a 2.93 diff to get better MPGs on highway

Comment

Lots of progress last night! M54 teardown is up next!

Comment

No progress today because I made a little road trip....

Comment

Got the M54 on the engine stand and removed all accessories. Awaiting my amazon delivery of the special long E12 socket to remove the head.

Comment

Tomorrow the block and head go to the machine shop! Hopefully get them back in a week

Comment

Hmm MS3 or Miller war? Any inputs?

Comment

Originally posted by stormtrooper15 View Post
                                Hmm MS3 or Miller war? Any inputs?
                                ms3 no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X