Adding heated seat elements to non-heated sport seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding heated seat elements to non-heated sport seat

Hey Guys.....this got no response on the “interior” sub forum hoping someone over here can help.

89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

ive got a pair of heated seat elements,

1 has pigtail , the other dosn't

Comment

Thanks Brutus. I have the elements, just trying to figure out the correct way to attach them to the seat foam.
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post
        Thanks Brutus. I have the elements, just trying to figure out the correct way to attach them to the seat foam.

don't you just shove them in between the seams? Possibly with a paint stick?
        www.instagram.com/snwmble
        #snwmble

Current:
        '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
        '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
        '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
        '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
        '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
        '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
        '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
        '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

audiquattrot....I took the seats completely apart so I have full access. I thought about just laying the elements on the foam but they will probably move and bunch up when I put the seat leather back on.

I’m sure someone out there has had a heated seat apart and can comment on how these things are secured to the seat foam.
          1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Audiquattrot already gave you the answer. The heating elements just slide in between the seams. There is a little sleeve that you take one element at a time a slide it the whole way in. I used a paint stick. This is the way you do it for the sport and comfort seat style. I don't know the procedure for convertible and M3 style seats.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Awesome thanks guys!

Previous owner put cabrio sports seat in my ix. The stitching on the cabrio seats is different than coupe/sedan sport seats, it is perpendicular instead of lengthwise, so I will need to improvise a bit with the heating elements.
              Last edited by E30andy; 06-30-2019, 06:07 AM.
              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

The convertible and M3 style seats have completely different heating elements. If you have sport or comfort seat elements(long 4 finger style) sell them and get the right kind for your seat. If you are just going to make something work get a generic heated seat set and install those elements instead.

I bought a generic heated seat set and used those elements in my Recaro LX's. I bought a set of burnt out stock element for the connector and made a jumper to connect to stock wiring and aftermarket elements. And I just laid the aftermarket elements on the foam where I wanted them before putting the leather overtop.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Did not know that rzerob. Thanks for the info. I was going to try to make the non-cab heaters work in my cab seats.

So doing some research on realoem, I get this part # for cabrio seat base heater.....64111376034. Interestingly it’s the same part # as for non cabrio cloth sport seats. Can’t find any pictures to confirm it’s the correct part, but fcp has it for $100, so will order tomorrow.

Thanks again rzerob!
                  Last edited by E30andy; 06-30-2019, 01:51 PM.
                  1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
                  X