Can't Remove Diff Bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Remove Diff Bushing

'88 325i vert. The bolt to my differential bushing is so rusted it just crumbled while trying to remove it while trying to remove the subframe. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    1988 Alpinweiss 325i Convertible

Originally posted by ryan.of.peachey View Post
    '88 325i vert. The bolt to my differential bushing is so rusted it just crumbled while trying to remove it while trying to remove the subframe. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

What? The bolt crumbled? So... replace it? And the diff bushing is supposed to come out with the whole diff/subframe. Don't try to remove the diff bushing while the diff itself is still installed... Numerous youtube vids on removing diff/subframe... GL!
    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Right. But doesn't the bolt have to come out to remove the diff with the subframe? I can't get the bolt off.

Comment

Help the bolt crumble apart with a hack saw or a cutting wheel attached to a dremel.

Comment

Some pictures of how the bolt failed would help a lot. Otherwise we are just going to give you general statements on how to fix something somewhat related to your issue and not be very helpful at all.
          Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

You should be able to just push the bolt through the hole, but you might need to unbolt the axle for clearance.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did end up getting it off with a variety of vice grips, wd40 and wrenches.

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                What? The bolt crumbled? So... replace it? And the diff bushing is supposed to come out with the whole diff/subframe. Don't try to remove the diff bushing while the diff itself is still installed... Numerous youtube vids on removing diff/subframe... GL!
                Its really easy to do without removing the diff/subframe. I cut the metal ring with a hacksaw and pushed it out with a long screwdriver. I did use a new poly bushing which made installation easy. Took about 30 minutes start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXPeter View Post
                  Its really easy to do without removing the diff/subframe. I cut the metal ring with a hacksaw and pushed it out with a long screwdriver. I did use a new poly bushing which made installation easy. Took about 30 minutes start to finish.
                  Not sure how that's possible since the bushing is sandwiched between two metal plates. You have to at least lower the diff...
                  But is a hacksaw really the best tool? I'll be attempting this in the future but given that the diff cover is aluminum, I think I'd be too hesitant to use a hacksaw...
                  "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Support the car on the frames with stands and then place the jack under the diff. Pull the bolt out of the bushing and lower it down so that the bushing clears the bracket. Might have to put a little effort into pulling it down but you should be able to get it to clear.

I then used a small jigsaw with a metal blade to cut through the metal ring. After it was cut through I used a long screwdriver to peel the metal back and take the tension off the bushing.

I had an 80a poly garagistic bushing. Lubed it up with some grease and pressed it in my hand as far as I could. Make sure to put the metal center bushing in at this point otherwise it will be harder to install. I used a hammer to then tap around the bushing to get it fit completely. Using the jack, lift the diff up slowly. You may need to use that screwdriver to pry the mounting bracket back a little as you lift otherwise the new bushing can bind up on it. Line up the bolt holes and finish it off.

Comment

Working...
                    X