Fuel pump issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump issues

My 89 316i would randomly decide not to engage the fuel pump, so I thought they were getting burned out but after testing it it would still run, I swapped relays with the purge one right next to it and it still doesn't turn over, the regulator isnt bad but when the pump is hooked up it wont activate after it stops the first time, does anyone know what else it could be, and could it still be a relay?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the relay and it's seat? It could just be corroded. My old FP was getting intermittent power and just sanding down the contacts helped a bit.

I'd also check the plugs on the actual fuel pump itself, they can get brittle and crack making a really weak connection.

Comment

might want to pull the pump. Mine had the ground wire missing and when the fuel level went below the contacts, it would stop. It was using the gas as the circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorx View Post
        might want to pull the pump. Mine had the ground wire missing and when the fuel level went below the contacts, it would stop. It was using the gas as the circuit.
        That's terrifying.

My PO twisted the power wires together inside the tank very poorly and I think the same thing was happening.

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

After testing the relays and doing more research it turns out it was a faulty crank sensor, but now I have a spare fuel pump for when I get the car back to the states

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X