Firewall DME Harness Grommet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    I'll measure it today to confirm 100%. I can tell you that I've confirmed that the M50/S50 DME plug fits through in the same manner as a late model. Electrically, the M3 has a standard round C101.

The 24v dme plug is the same dimensions as the 318is, and similar width to the early model. The late model m20 connector is larger.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      The 24v dme plug is the same dimensions as the 318is, and similar width to the early model. The late model m20 connector is larger.
      Roughly a 55mm hole in mine.
      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I used a cut M20 grommet but still had problems with water coming in the glovebox. I used some silicone and problem was solved. Probably not the best solution, especially with no grommet at all but it's has been fine for 3 years.

Bonus: In theory it should clean up with no damage to the paint to should I ever pull it out.
        Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

Can't cut them. Gotta pull the pins out of the ECU connector and feed the bare wires through.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ive got same issue. Toying with the idea of getting that expanding foam and just filling the hole with that but find a way to keep it nice and tidy. I mean really if you have completely rebuilt shit there shouldn't be a reason to ever remove it and it can easily be removed.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Mine was slit in half to get on the 24v harness, but now I also ripped a big piece off.

I think some sort of generic grommet is the way to go.

Thinking about something like this:

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

I would anticipate modification, which seems like a lot for ~$20.

Otherwise maybe stacking two sizes of these:
              McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                Ive got same issue. Toying with the idea of getting that expanding foam and just filling the hole with that but find a way to keep it nice and tidy. I mean really if you have completely rebuilt shit there shouldn't be a reason to ever remove it and it can easily be removed.
                I'm looking at expanding foam too as i currently dont have anything and dont fancy water running down the wires into the dme...
                RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

I'd really be interested in seeing that e34 m50 DME box setup in the front.

I ended up cutting a m20 grommet, slid it over the harness then silicone'd it in with no issues. Granted I used that e36 or whatever firewall cover to cover it all up.
                  555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                  '95 BMW e34 525i
                  '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                  '92 Range Rover Classic
                  '90 Range Rover Classic
                  '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                  '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                  '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                  '67 Pontiac LeMans
                  '24 Model T Depot Hack
                  ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

I'm still in need of a M20 grommet. Anyone?
                    E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Comment

Is this what you guys are looking for? 51711972464 is the 52 mm grommet. Double check this diagram:

I had considered buying a new one. But, at $24, I just cut a slit that came from the one in my m42 powered car. I also have an m3 firewall cover to go on. Hopefully water and wind noise doesn't come in.
                      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Maybe this would work?

Lucas Rists Part No.: 54959921. Part No. 54959921. Lucas Rists 'E' Series. Lucas Rists TTS Range. Lucas Style Bullett Connectors. Genuine Lucas Rists 2” (52mm). Heat Shrink. Thise is a genuine Lucas Rists part.

Comment

Working...
                        X