E30 318is M42 Warm Start Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 318is M42 Warm Start Issues

I have a 1991 318is with the M42 engine. Cold start and idle have no problems after I fixed the vacuum leak and cleaned out the ICV.

My issue is my engine would struggle to stay idle after I restart it after driving. It would fire up normally, and RPM would begin to drop and stay struggling to stay idle for about 30 seconds before going back to normal.

I've asked my mechanic friend but he doesn't know what the issue is, and now every time I warm start it I have to let it run for a couple minutes before I start driving or else it'd stall out.

any ideas?

*this issue only happens when the engine is warm. at cold start i can just hop in, start the car, and go.

I had this problem when I first got my 318is, there's this black connector in the engine harness (under the beauty cover on the firewall, it's literally a 1 pin plug) that I disconnected and it fixed it permanently.

I remember being waist deep in old M42club threads and read something about how that connector is only to be connected on Euro 318s or something like that.

The M42 is already out or else I'd include a pic, I might have one deep in my phone's camera roll if you need some visual!
    91 318iS - aluminum M52B28 + ZF320 + 3.15 Torsen

Comment

Sure, it's possible that it's the no O2 sensor plug that's plugged in, but it could easily be other items, and I'd suggest that OP search for hot or warm start threads here or on m42club so we don't have to run in circles guessing.

Comment

definitely disconnect the black plug fastestbox mentioned if it's not already disconnected.
        1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

This will help you:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	218
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	10084361
          1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
          1991 318is: raw DD
          2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by fastestbox View Post
            I had this problem when I first got my 318is, there's this black connector in the engine harness (under the beauty cover on the firewall, it's literally a 1 pin plug) that I disconnected and it fixed it permanently.

I remember being waist deep in old M42club threads and read something about how that connector is only to be connected on Euro 318s or something like that.

The M42 is already out or else I'd include a pic, I might have one deep in my phone's camera roll if you need some visual!
            this dude is correct, its a grey wire in the center of the firewall in the engine harness that shouldn't be connected
            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris3 View Post
              This will help you:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	218
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	10084361
              Im having the issue even with plug not connected. Any other ideas as to what’s causing it? Starts fine during cold but when it’s warm, it’ll stall unless I give it gas.

Comment

Working...
              X