Raceland Long Tube Header Clearance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raceland Long Tube Header Clearance

Building a M50 track day car and would like to use these headers without notching or hammering the front subframe.

I'm using AKG poly motor mounts...Shimming the motor up will give me some more space but not enough from what I can gather.

The motor is on a stand so heating the headers until they are cherry red and then bending them using a pipe for leverage will be easy. The question is how much do these things need to be bent? I'm ok with sacrificing some flow I just don't want to alter the front structural member.

I'm contemplating using the bimmerworld sways to help with clearance if I go this route.

So anyone who owns these, is there any reason I can't heat these up with a torch and bend them enough to get clearance around the subframe?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Kev

Honestly denting the subframe is easy, all it takes is a bfh, I wouldn't worry too much about reducing its structural integrity, you aren't removing any metal just altering its shape a bit.

The real clearance problem at least for mine was the sway bar, I had to space it down as much as I could (the control arms become a problem quickly with the suspension extended off the ground) and still needed to dent in one of the secondaries a bit.

What are these bimmerworld sways you are talking about?
    I may want to play around with bigger bars in the future

I am pretty sure the set I got are an early batch because the header flange and cylinder head studs lined up like complete shit and the primary to flange welds weren't cleaned up at all, newer ones seem to have fixed this.

From what I've read recently they have made an updated version with better clearance and holes in the header flange that actually line up (I broke two very expensive cobalt bits drilling the holes in mine one size larger) As for heating and bending though it shouldn't be too hard. Looking at the size of the dent I put in one of the downtubes hitting a rock or curb or some other unknown object at speed I would say that they soften quite a bit with some heat. I figure mine must be nicely annealed by now and ready for some easy bending!

Which leads me to my next point: the ground clearance at the bottom especially with the flanges they come with really sucks so heating and bending them closer to the body would be a great idea. I have been meaning to take mine to the exhaust shop and get them to do this for a while.

The last bit of info on these is that the stock output flange itself is a complete oddball size. It is 61mm which pretty much doesn't exist except in a Chinese factory. The best thing to do IMO is take them to a machine shop and get them to make you some flanges to match.

Performance wise I haven't dyno'd the car yet to see where I'm at, they sound great though.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Adrian,

Here's the Swaybar I'm talking about.

"The front bar has also been designed to allow ample room for aftermarket headers. The 19mm rear bar is designed like no other E30 bar on the market by incorporating a two inch drop (see image) in the arms to allow extra rear suspension travel for rear wheel traction and corner exit speed, even when the bar is adjusted to its stiffest setting. This allows complete adjustability (three holes) control of the rear bar without any of the liabilities of over stiffening the bar."

Full description can be found here. They cost a little more then the competition but look to be very high quality. I'm going to give them a try.

I think your right about hammering the subframe, shouldn't make a difference but I would rather not. These sways look pretty awesome. It may solve the issues people are having forcing them to make spacers to fix the sway bar clearance.

Comment

This is a good thread since I just bought the RL longtubes. I may have to pick up a set of these sways also.
        1989 US E30 Cammed S52
        Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

These headers make me want to shoot myself in the face!
          Originally posted by blunttech
          Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Originally posted by giantkeeper View Post
            These headers make me want to shoot myself in the face!
            Why?
            1989 US E30 Cammed S52
            Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

Originally posted by ACHTUNG View Post
              Why?

Drilling out the flanges destroyed all of my bit's...and now they are resting on my subframe and against my transmission :drink:
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

I've emailed bimmerworld about these, will update when I hear back. I'm really interested in the front one.

kevnj let us know when you get them!!!!
                '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

OP thanks for bringing those sways to my attention. I may have to invest in a set soon.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Wow, right when I just bought some UUC swaybars last week. Rats! I will have to try and cancel the order now.

I just installed the Raceland Euro headers this weekend and they did infact fix the flange issue as they just slipped right on. The problem was trying to clear the front sway bar. I think I will have to get some spacers made to drop the sway bar down a bit.

They are pretty thick so they don't rasp much at all but I did feel a noticeable difference in mid to high end power despite the pounding to the longer header so I can get the sway bar to mount back on...Its still touching it though :(
                    95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                    Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                    LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Originally posted by kalib0y View Post
                      Wow, right when I just bought some UUC swaybars last week. Rats! I will have to try and cancel the order now.

I just installed the Raceland Euro headers this weekend and they did infact fix the flange issue as they just slipped right on. The problem was trying to clear the front sway bar. I think I will have to get some spacers made to drop the sway bar down a bit.

They are pretty thick so they don't rasp much at all but I did feel a noticeable difference in mid to high end power despite the pounding to the longer header so I can get the sway bar to mount back on...Its still touching it though :(
                      Besides the clearance issue on the sway how did they fit around the subframe and engine mounts? Please let us know what motor mounts you are using too.

Thanks,

-Kev

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Visser View Post
                        OP thanks for bringing those sways to my attention. I may have to invest in a set soon.
                        I'll going to give them a try for sure. I'll post some pics when I get them. Won't be for a while though as I need to finish rebuilding the rear suspension, bearings and half shaft.

Comment

They cleared my 5 series mounts and my subframe. I did shim the mounts like 1/4in though. I will try my best to get the bimmerworld bars soon
                          95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                          Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE

Comment

Well I spoke to bimmerword this morning and he mentioned that the header clearance is meant for the M20 header and not the specified for the m/s50/52 swap euro/raceland headers so the fitment will be unknown unless one of us brave souls is willing to try it. I have UUC headers on the way so Ill report about those.
                            95 7.1L 16V E36 M3

Comment

Well I spoke to bimmerword this morning and he mentioned that the header clearance is meant for the M20 header and not the specified for the m/s50/52 swap euro/raceland headers so the fitment will be unknown unless one of us brave souls is willing to try it. I have UUC headers on the way so Ill report about those.
                              I also got a return e-mail saying the same thing.

Hi,

They are designed to clear headers for the M20 motor I am not sure if they
                              will clear your raceland headers.

Thank you,

BimmerWorld - Race Proven Performance

I think I will have to get some spacers made to drop the sway bar down a bit.
                              Are you going to make these or do you know of a place that sells them?? I need a set as well
                              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Working...
                              X