No announcement yet.

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this for your daily driver? What are your impressions?

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
    I just did this on my non-airbag E30 and wanted to share some pictures/info for clarification.

The steering shaft runs around $40 on ebay.
    Took off the plastic "shell" and yanked the two halfs apart throwing away the bearings.
    Cleaned off the grease on the shafts.
    Put both ends on their respective splines and measured how much needed to be cut off.
    Shortened the shafts, cleaned off the coating where I would be welding (on the ends and bearing channels).
    Welded rod in the bearing channels (not sure if necessary but it made me feel better).
    Welded where the outer rod meets the end and tack welded the end of the inner shaft.
    Cleaned up my welds on a grinder to look factory-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post
      Is this for your daily driver? What are your impressions?
      Nope, this is for my weekend/track car.
      Now that I've gotten it on the road, it's really not that bad. Even with 205/50/15 Federal 595 RS-RRs, it still feels better than any non-assisted power steering rack. It's also easier to turn than a non-assisted power steering rack, but parallel parking still isn't fun. I wouldn't have it on my daily, but I could definitely get used to it. You don't need to have strong arms but if your anatomy more closely resembles a stick figure, you may find it difficult sometimes.
      Driving feel is good on the road at speed and for track use. That being said, I wouldn't use it for a drift car or take long trips with it. You do get a very good feel of the road, but in some cases they car may fight your steering inputs.
      Originally posted by Melon
      Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

I have run this rack for a while now with a 3/4" DD rod and two Flaming River u-joints on my street driven vert and enjoy the feel but at times on longer trips the small vibrations can become tiring and annoying. I still like this setup but looked into some type of vibration reducing U-JOINT or rag joint from Borgeson and Flaming River but I couldn't find anything that would work. I guess it means live with it or go back to power steering. Just something to consider.
        Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

To all that have had this Z4 rack for a while, what are your long-term impressions?

Ok as a daily? Are road vibrations too irritating?

Comment

Hey guys, anyone run this in a rhd car?

Comment

Need to revive this thread -again- because with electric power steering columns coming on-line this is the natural rack choice....

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                Need to revive this thread -again- because with electric power steering columns coming on-line this is the natural rack choice....
                I've been thinking about this every time I see that $1700 one posted on facebook, but then I think $1700 is a hell of a lot of money for power steering.
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

I've been thinking about this every time I see that $1700 one posted on facebook, but then I think $1700 is a hell of a lot of money for power steering.
                  yeah, it would be cool if someone figured this out for not so much.

Comment

Working...
                  X