Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does M50 e36 PS pump fit e34 525i M50 (for e30 swap, obviously)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does M50 e36 PS pump fit e34 525i M50 (for e30 swap, obviously)

My soon-to-be swapped M50TU from a '93 e34 has a shot PS pump. Now I know the e34 has a steering box vice a rack, so I'm guessing the PS pump may operate at a different pressure as well.

Places I have looked do not show the e34 pump as being the same as the M50TU e36 pump. But are they interchangeable? I would prefer to pick up a new e36 pump (cheaper than the e34 ones and probably the correct pressure for my Z3 rack anyhow). Just want to make sure it will actually fit. Anyone know offhand?
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

All the E34/E36 pumps are the same, in my experience, with the exception of the M52 (different style fittings). The E34 touring power steering pump might have more pressure, since you have SLS to deal with.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Yes ps steering pums are pretty much the same on m5x/s5x engines. Only difference being that engines with oil filter housing with plastic cap have different offset in pump mounting. But if the oil filter housings have metal cap the pumps are interchangeable.

Comment

E34's do have a different pump for cars that have SLS/LAD (tandem pump). The regular pumps do have different part numbers, but looking at pictures, the only thing that looks different is the pulley flange on the front. One is round and one is triangular, but the bolt pattern is still the same. I doubt they are internally different.

Comment

Working...
        X