No announcement yet.

DIY - Shadowlining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best combo I've found so far is Duplicolor Self Etching Primer for $4.99 a can at Auto Zone and Duplicolot Black Trim Paint which is perfect for shadowlining your car.

Comment

Originally posted by RCWells View Post
      I tried to tell ya's.
      I know....I had the cans of SEM purchased a month ago though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritalin Kid View Post
        The best combo I've found so far is Duplicolor Self Etching Primer for $4.99 a can at Auto Zone and Duplicolot Black Trim Paint which is perfect for shadowlining your car.
        YES!
        Yours truly,
        Rich
        sigpic
        Originally posted by Rigmaster
        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
          YES!

Honestly...I used the SEM stuff and Im gonna agree with you. The SEM paint comes out to flat. If I was to do it again I would use the stuff you guys used. Lot cheaper too...

Comment

haha dont mind the lil kids holdin up my not yet installed iS sideskirts... but any guesses as to how i did my shadowline?
            Last edited by wycoco; 09-11-2006, 12:36 AM.

Comment

wouldnt dupli color rim paint work better for this??

Comment

u guys shoul use a fill primer between the self etch and the color...no chips ever!

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by formula driver View Post
                    Well....my shadowline is done. I used adhesion promoter and primer. Used the SEM paint and Im kinda wishin I used something else. It looks good but its almost to flat. I sanded the hell out of my trim, every bit of it. Had it off the car and did it the proper way so hopefully it will hold up for a long time.
                    How do you get the trim off. I would rather take it off but can't figure out how to take off the trim running along the base of the window.

Comment

f

the trim running on along the door and bottom of the window slide upward but may break the clips that hold the trim in the process and also scratch the paint around the trim.

doing a good masking job and numerous thin coats is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by 87' 325 View Post
                        the trim running on along the door and bottom of the window slide upward but may break the clips that hold the trim in the process and also scratch the paint around the trim.

doing a good masking job and numerous thin coats is the key.
                        The numerous thin coats sounds exactly right....It's not the painting that's really the issue, it's the sanding... I actually came up with a system for the most part (spent most of today just sanding) however there are two areas that are a little difficult, one of which is nearly impossible. Right underneath the mirror and behind the top part. I decided not to remove my mirror after trying a little and reading that everyone brakes the clips holding the tweeter pod. It's still doable however behind the trim that runs along the top is pretty much impossible to sand correctly and that area also needs to be painted as it can be seen from the opposite-above side..... some time and improvising and I'll get it sanded though. Hopefully I can feel my right hand/thumb tomorrow and finish it.

Comment

For those of us with the late model, non-popout, back quarter windows, the toughest part of the job is getting them back in after painting. Here is a trick to make it infinitely less painful.

When you are ready to re-install the window, take a loop of heavy string and run it through the channel where the metal of the car's window frame is eventually supposed to be. Tie it off fairly snug with the extra string meeting at the front upper corner of the window. Next, smear dish soap (or cooking oil, or some other gentle lubricant [?KY]) along the surface of the gasket that will eventually be inside your car. Line up the window with the frame and have a friend hold the window against the car with light/moderate pressure. From inside the car, slowly pull back on the loop of string. As you yank it back, it will slide over the window gasket, pulling the inner surface through the window opening as you go. By the time the string is fully pulled off, the window in in place. Presto! Tighten the bolts, and move on to the next window!
                          Last edited by GopherBrain; 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM.
                          sigpic
                          1988 M3 - Summer Toy
                          1991 325i - Soon to be sold...
                          2001 Audi B5 S4 Avant - Daily Driver

Comment

OOO! nice explination. i got them fuckers out and was ready to smash them. i wasnt looking forward to installing them until now.

Comment

lol @ " i'm so fucking sick of doing shadowline on e30s"

I did both of my B-Pillars yesterday. I hand sanded both sides with 220grit, which took me about a good hour. Then the masking took about another good hour. I used 2 medium coats of SEM trim black paint. I heard nothing but good things about SEM, and the results turned out impressive. It looks and feels soooo OEM.
                              1989 325I(M20B25US)|KAMotors CAI|Bilstein Sports|H&R Sports|ST Sways|SSSquid Tune|Red46 Sump Armor|

Comment

Originally posted by RobertK View Post
                                FTR, I followed this to the "T" and my shadowline is perfect till this day... (except for putting knee cap dents in my roof when painting the the insides) Good write up, thanks for the material specifics...

Comment

Working...
                                X