Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aust. Engine Costs etc

Hey guys,

So I still don't have my E30 yet, but I'm working out my "5 year plan".

Anyone know any good sites etc that list BMW engines and their prices?

Any advice on what either of you have done with engine transplants will also be appreciated :D

What engines are you looking for. 6 cylinder M50, M52, S50, S52 a very common swaps, V8 M60 and M62 are not as common but a gaining ground, you also have some rare kind like S62 M5 V8, and S54 E46 M3.

Plenty of that has been documented in the R3V engine subfourms. As far as soucing gose. Well the M50/52 and M60/62 can be had for a good price these days I got an M50 for $300 then you move progressively up to about $1500 for a M62.

and of the motorsports engines (listed with an S instead of an M) are overpriced here and I think you could have it cheaper if you got one from the states.
    sigpic

Comment

hmmm.. well i was thinking M20 and M50 series, and just for giggles... the S50/52.. Not for immediate purchase, but thinking about what to do down the track. I know a few people have been putting Sr20 or RB20's in there, but wasn't heaps keen on that.

Comment

Meh not a fan of the SR20 I think they are way over hyped. Would prefer a 4g63 personally. that would be a sweet swap.

If you are not worried about weight a Turbo M30 is always awesome. They are plentiful at U PULL IT, and you can easy get 400-500hp from a turbo on a stock 3.5lt.

We can talk more at Eurofest though can't wait for sunday.
        sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know of a good wreckers in Brisbane to source parts?

Converting my 325e sedan to manual and an 'i' engine . . .

Looking at getting a 3.73 ratio medium case diff, G260 manual gearbox and a complete M20B25 from an E34 525i (1998 or 1990 model - last of the M20s) . . . would it be cheaper to simply buy a whole car for the parts or just buy parts individually from gumtree, ebay, wreckers, etc?
          sigpic
          Wanted: M20 885 head conversion for 2.7L eta engine and E30 beige premium speaker covers . . . .

Comment

I'm from W.A and I've been researching a S52 swap in the next year or two for my 91 318i, but gumtree and eBay aren't much help, I think wreckers are the best bet for finding engines. Do any Aussies on here have a rough cost for importing engines from US/EU? Or even importing totaled cars for parts?
            sigpic
            samfg92
            Originally posted by ak-
            The Best mod is a clean car.

Comment

The best way is to buy an E36 and take what you need and sell the rest. I picked up a crashed 328i for $2500. It gave me a M52B28, ZF, tailshaft, radiator, ecu, wiring, matching ews componets, etc. I have sold wheels, panels abd other bits for about $1000 and still have bits to sell. I was able to drive it to make sure (rear damage only) the engine ran.
              sigpic

Comment

i guess I could ask some BMW mechanics too?

I agree though, SR20's are good, but I somewhat feel a bmw should have a bmw engine.. plus it looks better if you get pulled over and need to pop the bonnet!

Comment

Originally posted by JC-E30 View Post
                  i guess I could ask some BMW mechanics too?

I agree though, SR20's are good, but I somewhat feel a bmw should have a bmw engine.. plus it looks better if you get pulled over and need to pop the bonnet!
                  BMW should always have a BMW engine.
                  Plus in my opinion resale value would be better than an sr20 swap.

329i

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                    and of the motorsports engines (listed with an S instead of an M) are overpriced here and I think you could have it cheaper if you got one from the states.

I can't help but feeling both envious & slightly depressed every time I see another S50/S52 budget swap posted up on the forums here.

Why are these engines so damn hard to come by down here?!?
                    I would've thought with the E36 M3 getting older/ cheaper, we'd have more kids of the fullysik variety producing some nice wrecks for us to salvage the power-plants from...
                    I mean, there isn't even a single S50/S52 engine listed on fleabay(.au) or gumtree right now!! :hitler:

S54's seem to be a bit easier to find, but then there's the ridiculous price tag...

Comment

Out of curiousity, is 6grand for a S38 B36 plus gearbox a good price ?

Comment

Originally posted by drjon View Post
                        Out of curiousity, is 6grand for a S38 B36 plus gearbox a good price ?
                        If it has been rebuilt, yes. If not then you will be up for $$$....
                        90 318i M62B44 OBD1
                        02 530i Touring (Airlift 3P)

Comment

Working...
                        X