WTB: Manual transmission for euro e21 w m20: Getrag 242 or 245 from e12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: Manual transmission for euro e21 w m20: Getrag 242 or 245 from e12

I’m in the process of buying a manual ‘79 euro 323i with a factory m20. It has a bad transmission

Looking for a getrag 242 or 245 trans from e21 or e12. Depending on which I may need shift linkage and driveshaft.

I believe I’m limited to those two transmissions due to the mechanical speedometer drive.

Located in Buffalo, NY but don’t mind paying shipping

Any referrals appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by ColdAccord; 02-23-2019, 04:47 PM.
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Mabe you could try something like this and then you will have more transmission options. https://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rbmwiv View Post
      Mabe you could try something like this and then you will have more transmission options. https://www.speedhut.com/Speedbox.html

Thank you, that’s an interesting product, looks like it might cost the same as a transmission though heh
      can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

FYI, you would want a Getrag 265 (CR or OD), but you would need the bellhousing from a 1982 528e and a custom driveshaft to make it work, as an E21 never had a Getrag 265 installed in it, from the factory (to the best of my knowledge).

A Getrag 245 would be your best solution, IMHO, since it is what the car is supposed to have; you wouldn't have to do any custom driveshaft/shifting assembly. I would get on the E21 section of bimmerforums, since there are a lot of 323i guys on there. They would know where you could find a good unit, as they are pretty scarce, these days.

Best,
        e30austin
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Still looking for a trans. Here's a pic of the car

Comment

The M20 245 and the M10 245 are basically the same transmission except for the front transmission housing. A decent transmission mechanic can swap the front housing from your existing transmission onto a much more readily available E21 245.

I sold all my M20 245s a few years back.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord View Post
              Still looking for a trans. Here's a pic of the car

Hey I have a getrag 260
              Manual that came out of a 1986 325e. Will that work for you?

Comment

I've got a 245/11 dogleg that needs syncros. gears are fine. can ship.
                cars beep boop

Comment

The car has a getrag 242 4 speed in it currently, would be nice to find one of those. Or a 245, with driveshaft and shift linkage.

Someone mentioned swapping the bell housings, but these transmissions don't have a detachable bell housing, they are 1 piece

Comment

Right, you split the case and swap over the front half. Voilà.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                    X