Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kronus View Post
    No.

A 'short shifter' is not a shifter that's short. A 'short shifter' is one where you have to throw the shifter less overall distance to switch gears. The height of the shifter above the ball cup does not matter. Hodge's metal phallus just makes shifting faster and easier when you're frantically searching for 2nd while flipping the steering wheel around from lock to lock.
    Argueing without reading what I wrote?

Raising the folcrum, and making lever longer. That's how you get your knob to be by steering wheel, and have functionality of "short shifter". Adding a pipe to you shifter without changing the ratio of shifter lever, makes it a "long shifter" as now you have more throw.

Comment

Epic Failure!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinho View Post
        Wasn't there a guy on here a while back selling something like this that would fold out to 3 different positions? So it was short, medium, and long? Looked like a fold out baton. I'd be more interested in an adjustable one like that.
        I remember that, but I dont think it had three positions, he had three sizes available to buy though.

Comment

He gave the car a hardon. He's gonna put his eye out with that.

How many shifts do you do at an autox where this would even be useful?

-Charlie
          Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
          '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
          FYYFF

Comment

ignorance is bliss. ive seen many rallye cars with similar setups. the below-the-fulcrum part is just massively long so the top part doesnt have to swing as much. the whole point is to bring the shifter closer to the wheel. this may not be perfect but dont fling poo unless you understand what youre looking at.

Comment

Eh...honestly I just wanted to try it to see if I could. It worked pretty well, not gunna lie, but I will also say that I just ended up sticking with my E30's anatomic knob in the E36....best one I have used yet.

lol "Epic Failure"

Shit cost less than $8 total to try something out for fun. I used it at 2 auto-x events and it really wasn't any better than the anatomic knob. I'm out $8...wow. hey, I'm from Florida...I'm a damn cracker. Gotta try out shit like this :D

I agree about possibly damaging something though with that much more leverage. It was pretty hard to find 2nd with this thing. Actually downshifting in general wasn't very good. Hence why I stuck with the anatomic knob.
              E30- 1989 325is

Comment

quality

High Quality how-to.

This is the first r3v page I have ever bookmarked. Thanks

Jay
                Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
                Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
                Ground Control facebook page

Comment

No problem.

Pretty easy to make if you really want to. It works well in my E36 (other than downshifting to 2nd, I'd need to get used to that more) and it stays on the lever without any kind of drilling/screws needed. That would add some extra holding on the lever, but not really necessary.
                  E30- 1989 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Hodge View Post
                    I agree about possibly damaging something though with that much more leverage. It was pretty hard to find 2nd with this thing. Actually downshifting in general wasn't very good. Hence why I stuck with the anatomic knob.
                    Yep, that was the first thought that crossed my mind. It wouldn't take long to break something with that much leverage. Especially on the track/autocross.. you're frantically trying to change gears and always end up shifting quickly and with a lot of force. And least I do anyways.

The only time a shifter that tall is going to work is on a sequential dog box. Hence why that's the only time you see it.

For the uninitiated, it works in said applications because, well, it's sequential (non H-pattern) so you can't miss a gear. Plus with a dogtooth gearbox there are no synchros to wear when the ham-fisted driver starts throwing gears.

If it was feasible in a traditional helical cut gearbox, we would of seen it done by now. Nice thought though.

'97 Eclipse GST - garage queen
                    '87 325is - daily driver

Comment

Working...
                    X