No announcement yet.

N52 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My preference would be a dipstick and the original e30 low oil sender. Based on zero research I assume that can be retained... I love my check panel. I think it’s just a float switch and it would be one less thing to leak on the bottom of the pan.

Comment

You could use the ix level sender (the RWD is upside down). The DME will not be able to track engine temp, level, or condition, but you won't have the CBS anyway (unless you hook it up to a computer).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

2005 bmw e83

hay guys did anyone did an m54to an n52 swap

Comment

Has anyone considered setting up a group buy with a pan manufacturer? If enough can commit to it a manufacturer that allready sells import oil pans like moroso may do it. As the same pan is used on n52, n54, n55 & s55 there may be enough interest. I know in the Datsun z car world someone was able to do that with m factory for a new limited slip option.

Comment

Totally interested in exactly what you’re talking about. If it was a product I’d just buy it (along with custom engine arms). The issue is that it doesn’t exist yet, and hasn’t been designed. A group but or other production wouldn’t be possible until we had one at least mocked up or ideally running (what if we built 10 and realized that we actually need the oil condition sensor or we’re stuck in limp mode)

I’m going to keep going over here:

Comment

You don't need the oil sensor
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Caperix View Post
                Has anyone considered setting up a group buy with a pan manufacturer? If enough can commit to it a manufacturer that allready sells import oil pans like moroso may do it. As the same pan is used on n52, n54, n55 & s55 there may be enough interest. I know in the Datsun z car world someone was able to do that with m factory for a new limited slip option.
                I think not a lot of effort was put into this previously because there was an easy and inexpensive solution (E34 front sump pan). Now that M54 and N5x engines are looking a lot more appealing its probably a more viable option.

If someone was interested in this route here are some pan manufacturers:
                Stefs - http://www.stefsperformance.net/stef...ducts/oil-pans
                Champs - https://www.champpans.com/products/c/oil-pans/

Of course Moroso etc. may be interested as well based on volume.
                -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post
                  My preference would be a dipstick and the original e30 low oil sender. Based on zero research I assume that can be retained... I love my check panel. I think it’s just a float switch and it would be one less thing to leak on the bottom of the pan.

This is what I was meaning when I suggested adding a provision for a sensor.

Comment

Originally posted by hubcapboy View Post
                    Totally interested in exactly what you’re talking about. If it was a product I’d just buy it (along with custom engine arms). The issue is that it doesn’t exist yet, and hasn’t been designed. A group but or other production wouldn’t be possible until we had one at least mocked up or ideally running (what if we built 10 and realized that we actually need the oil condition sensor or we’re stuck in limp mode)

I’m going to keep going over here:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...03#post4952503
                    I guess group buy was not quite the correct wording. If we can show enough committed buyers for the pan manufacturer to know they will cover the r & d there is a good chance that they would bring it to market. It is likely that a number of buyers would have to at minimum put in a deposit though.

Comment

What is the best donor car for an N52 that is going to be swapped in an rwd E30?

Any specific year or model that would make a better starting point?

Comment

any RWD car is fine. the Z4 happens to have the right EKP, and the MSV70 DME is easier to tune for a swap (although MSV80 is not impossible).

an AWD car would work too, but they have the wrong oil pan. Also, the 6mt cars have the steel pan, while the AT (and AWD) cars have the aluminum pan.

There's also early & late N52s. I don't really like the cheap plastic valve cover on the N52K, but the CCV system is better. The 3-stage manifold only came on the Z4 3.0si, the X3, and the 330i, not the 328i/128i or 325i. Technically it also came on the N51, but you want to avoid that one - it's SULEV and uses lower compression which puts a dent in it's power potential.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Following your build with great interest. I've been flogging the crap out of a DD Z4/N52 6-speed metal-top coupe for 3 years from about 40K miles to 60K, shifting at redline constantly and generally driving it just like we do our beater E30s. Absolutely can't hurt the thing. No problems whatsoever. It has an annoying ticking (hydraulic lifters?) but that doesn't seem to bother it. My Z is around 3100 pounds, I'd think that motor in an E30 would be amazing.
                          "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
                            Following your build with great interest. I've been flogging the crap out of a DD Z4/N52 6-speed metal-top coupe for 3 years from about 40K miles to 60K, shifting at redline constantly and generally driving it just like we do our beater E30s. Absolutely can't hurt the thing. No problems whatsoever. It has an annoying ticking (hydraulic lifters?) but that doesn't seem to bother it. My Z is around 3100 pounds, I'd think that motor in an E30 would be amazing.
                            So no issues with timing slip? One issue the n52 has is no woodruff key to locate the crank gear. Down shifting without proper rev matching can cause the crank & can years to come out of time. BMW did add a friction disc to the latter manual cars to help limit this, but I have heard of tuned s55 cars slipping still. I have personally seen a number of n52's slip timing after loosing a drive belt if it stops the engine due to jamming.

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                              Been a bit slow the last month or more, as I've encountered issues, diagnosed, ordered part, waited for it to arrive, etc. These are mostly issues in working out the subtle differences in N52 engines. For example, mine being a very late N52 required me to drop the subframe and replace the oil pump with an older version that did not have electronic control of oil pressure. Throttle actuator that not compatible. MAF sensor also different. Anyway, I'll be able to do a write-up soon that will make it a lot easier for the next person. Cooloant hose routing was also a bit difficult primarily due to the shorter and narrower engine bay. There's not a lot of room to change direction and orientation from one point to another. There's also a lot of hoses!
                              A cheap N52 has popped up locally for me, is there an 'ideal' year for this motor that has all the right electronics for the swap?

Comment

Not really. I mean, the only swaps existing so far are using MSV70 DMEs. Also the 3 stage will be really hard to fit in the E30 engine bay, so it may not matter if you have the high output version or not.

Speaking of manifolds, cwlo, have you seen this?

It turns out the N54 manifold could use a lot more optimization - the ports don't even line up properly. Which is funny because it still makes the most power. I knew that it could be done better all along, it just happened that the N54 manifold bolts up. I'm thinking the S54 throttles should work out pretty well, but in any case check out how he modified it to fit better. I think it's possible to gain back the bit of mid range torque lost from this mod.
                                Last edited by nando; 03-14-2019, 08:21 AM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X