This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mss54/hp dme swap modifications

Swapping an S54 into your e30? Got the wiring down but don't know what to do for your DME (S54 ECU)? Don't want to pay to delete EWS, yet have Speed control working, and have control yourself?

After much research and wanting to learn myself what was going on, I have made TunerPro XDFs available to all for this process. This in no way will let you tune your car for more power, but it will get it running with the proper DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) to disable and modifications to make this work smoothly. Thanks to TAP, POLAR, SLIM, TERRA and MANY MANY more for their work over here

The goal was to share much of this over there, but it's slowly been abandoned, and the "complete" XDFs to have major mapping of the ECU available to the masses has gone missing for fear of BMW's retaliation and the possibility of killing your engine or yourself. EDIT: NO LONGER TRUE, I hosted them on Github! I like to have control, and not blame others for trying to install an S54 with working Cruise Control into my car, so here. Share. Use. Enjoy your car and learn how to fix it yourself if you can. I am here to help if I can for as long as I have my E30, but alas I am not always available.

Software: MSS Flasher, BMWFlash, BMW Logger, FT Prog (to edit your ODB2 FTDI Cable)
    Excel files: to correct values for Speedo Calibration, Gear Recognition Observations, and Cruise Control

YOUTUBE Tutorial
    MSS54 ECU Tutorial Part 1: Tools and Reading/Writing to your ECU

MSS54 ECU Tutorial Part 2: Swap Coding

Currently works for:
    MSS54 - v2601, v2801
    MSS54HP - v1801, v2001, v2501, v2701

Click here to Download the Software and Definition Files along with some help. READ THE README and DIY PDF

Also, Here is how to get cruise control working

NOTE: Usage of this is free, knowledge of this is free as well, meaning, please use your brain to understand why you are changing these items. These are the common swap items and DTCs to disable. Using an SMG? Modify the value to your needs. Using the Rear O2s still? Don't disable that DTC! Using a Z3M or E36 Guage cluster, use the correct Speedo Source? Using MK60 ABS? Yes! It's your build. Customize your swap coding. HOWEVER, if you need help, PM me, I will help for a small fee as long as you can pull your own file. The days of shipping the ECU are dead.

Last edited by R3Z3N; 04-16-2020, 04:24 PM.

Nice work

Comment

Awesome work, thanks for posting this publicly. R3Z3N has been a huge help to me with my S54 swap, in addition to all the great information posted by members on M3F.

Comment

nice work - you should put this on Github, so others can make additional contributions. :)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^Nando thanks. I don't see a good reason for github though as anyone is free to make a tunerpro file already and modify this and share it, and I wanted all the programs needed to download in one link as they are all free. Though if we know of any other modifications that should be done (IE SMG to Manual tables that should be modified for ease of driving) I would love to add those. Or other items we should disable and not just turn off the DTC. Also, I block github on all my networks as its great repository for malware.

I shall think about it though. I just hate the nature of the internet and files disappearing.

One thing I discourage though is sharing locations via hex for tuning modifications without stating which versions share the same addresses, or at least stating which DME version the location came from, that way one can find their relevant location from their DME read.

I downloaded all the partial reads @ ecuworks and made sure the locations are right for the versions listed in the xdf file.

Comment

Bimmerlabs has all of the stock S54 files - can be downloaded in binary format.

GitHub is pretty standard in programming, especially open source. Blocking it seems a bit extreme.. I have never seen malware there personally, the point is you can see the source code and know what it does.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              Bimmerlabs has all of the stock S54 files - can be downloaded in binary format.

GitHub is pretty standard in programming, especially open source. Blocking it seems a bit extreme.. I have never seen malware there personally, the point is you can see the source code and know what it does.
              Wasn't sure if bimmerlabs was defunct. It looks dead.

When looking at internet security audits, it's scary the amount of malicious stuff coming out of github.

The layman wont know what to do with an xdf or XML file besides open it and their bin and change a few bits relatively blindly which this is meant for, nothing else should be needed except for performance tuning if desired.
              Last edited by R3Z3N; 11-23-2018, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Looks dead? You cut me deep, bro.. :(

It's definitely not dead. Traffic is growing like 20% month over month, and I deal with an overwhelming flow of emails.. There is much happening behind the scenes, but the holidays are super busy for me and family activities, so it's been quiet on the front end.

MSS54 is basically what started my interest in this project, so I'm keen to support it where I can. All the knowledge is widely available, but that doesn't mean it's easy to find (like what you have started).

Anyway, most people won't know what to do with the 'source' but if you want your idea to grow and attract public support, it's the way to go. I won't tell you what to do with your own contributions (which are valuable to our community) but the easiest way for most to contribute and keep the idea from dying is an open source platform like GitHub (you can also use other forms of git, GitHub is just the most popular front end).
                Last edited by nando; 11-23-2018, 11:04 PM.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Awesome then. Just doesn't look to be something active when stumbled upon. Went to use it and can't as I don't have a vin for the car my 2 DME's came out of. Won't let me upload a bin. Nifty it tries to guess the dme, for good reason, but hard for the swap folks. Looked in my full read for a vin, not finding it in ascii.

Comment

Just look up any M3 salvage Vin# on Google. Also if you have a full read, you already have a serial # for your DME which is enough.

I need to finish the 0da output for MSS54, but without much interest from that community, I haven't found the motivation..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

As stated, not finding the vin via the full read at addresses pointed out at M3F. Looked through full file for text resembling a vin....

Comment

Is the AIF section on your DME empty?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^ Not sure.

Updated with the XDF DTCs and Coding plain text wrapped in PHP tags so that it can be copy/pasted and saved as an XDF should my server be lost.

Comment

Anyone have experience with reprogramming the e46 m3 cluster? I'm trying to use the one that came with my donor car and have everything but the fuel gauge and speedometer working.

Comment

^That is a different ballgame. I believe some info is transmitted via CAN, but not wholly related to the MSS54/HP programming. Check M3 Forums for R270 coding if that is what you have.
                              Last edited by R3Z3N; 11-29-2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X