No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in a low right now with this car. I am considering putting it up for sale and buying something else I don't have to constantly chase issues in.

Between my fuel pump almost dying on cold starts (bogs down once i left off the gas) and the car shuddering when i start in first with a little bit of gas (possibly the Transfer Case?) I'm at my wits end with this car. I've spent a long time trying to get the car is what i feel is an acceptable level of performance. I am still trying to get there and it's discouraging.

Please someone talk me out of it...

Comment

My 1988 e30 325ix - Manual

I was talking to Garagistic and they told me they created a mount for the transfer case. I've wanted an 80a mount since I tried to use the Delrin Condor mount. I made the purchase and it should be showing up some time next week. Keeps the Factory bolt length, unlike Condor. Also threads into the mount like the stock version, unlike Condor. I think it will be a nice improvement.

Today I shifted gears and worked on my other car. It's an Audi A4 B6 3.0. I've been wanted to upgrade the brakes for a while and scored an awesome deal on some S4 calipers. I also tried to attack my tie rods that have been bouncing around in the ball joint for a while now.... but it is crazy seized in there. Gonna try to remove it tomorrow after letting it soak over night in some PB.

Before

After

It went from a 312x25 to a 321x30.

Comment

When I was doing my brake job on the Audi, I accidentally dropped my phone in the catch-pan of brake fluid. That ruined my phone. It's been nice, liberating actually, but my debit card was also in that mix and it basically melted.

That being said, I finally received my 80a transfercase mount from Garagistic. Installed it yesterday. It's a great product! Car shifts much faster, but the NVH increased a fair amount. I might be low on fluid in either my front diff or my transfer case itself, because i get a whinning noise on acceleration.

I guess I will follow-up on that, add some fluids and see if it goes away.

Comment

I also have a whining noise on acceleration (under heavy load).
          I've did some research and it could also be the rear diff that's making this noise.
          It's the play between the pinion and ring gear that chances..?

Not sure though.
          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Nice brake upgrade!

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
              I also have a whining noise on acceleration (under heavy load).
              I've did some research and it could also be the rear diff that's making this noise.
              It's the play between the pinion and ring gear that chances..?

Not sure though.
              That's funny, because I read through your post trying to figure it out.

I think it's my front differential to be honest. It's the one reservoir of fluid i haven't flushed or checked... I should probably get on that.

I will say the 80a garagistic IX mount is a pretty sweet product. Made a noticeable difference. If you're OK with an increase in NVH then it's a product for you.

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                Nice brake upgrade!
                thanks mate! the red one in the picture ended up having to be replaced, so now i have silver ones. The thread for the bleeder valve was all messed up and i wouldn't have been able to fix it without drilling it, tapping it and all that good stuff. So to avoid jeopardizing my family's safety, i decided to just get some new ones.

They have been amazingly better brakes than the previous though, that's for sure. Super grateful i have the means to replace them.

Comment

Little bit of work on the BMW. I still don't have a phone so no picture updates, but nothing too exciting anyway.

I replaced the check valve off the brake booster as well as the little rubber grommet. That made a pretty good difference in drive-ability. Seems like my brakes grab sooner and harder than before and as well my clutch felt slight different. Pressure holds different when letting off the gas pedal as well. Glad it was a good change because the part cost like 80$ for a piece of plastic.

I also replaced my fuel filter again.

Honestly, the BMW feels great lately. It's been fun to drive and I think I'm finally ready for some upgraded parts vs maintenance parts.

I replaced my front differential fluid with some Motul Gear 300. I also will be replacing the rear differential fluid/gasket this weekend.

I patched some rust in my transmission tunnel that ate all the way through. I used POR15 and fiberglass cloth for this. Worked out great. I will be doing the same to my battery tray area as the results have been durable and easy to apply.

I'm sure there is a handful of other little things i've fixed recently, but probably nothing exciting. I'm just happy to have a car that feels like it should finally.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                    That's funny, because I read through your post trying to figure it out.

I think it's my front differential to be honest. It's the one reservoir of fluid i haven't flushed or checked... I should probably get on that.

I will say the 80a garagistic IX mount is a pretty sweet product. Made a noticeable difference. If you're OK with an increase in NVH then it's a product for you.

Do you feel any vibrations with the new transfer case mount? I was thinking of buying the original one.

Every time i shift i feel something banging around the tunnel. That should be my transfer case floating around.

What about rear differential bushing? The oem one is expensive af. I need something accesible and oem-like softness

Comment

Originally posted by notanawdix80 View Post
                      Do you feel any vibrations with the new transfer case mount? I was thinking of buying the original one.

Every time i shift i feel something banging around the tunnel. That should be my transfer case floating around.

What about rear differential bushing? The oem one is expensive af. I need something accesible and oem-like softness
                      I'm planning on doing a rear subframe overhaul as I'm starting to think the clunking when coming to a stop when you press in the clutch pedal fairly quick has something to do with play in the driveline.
                      I plan on replacing all rubber bushes, swapping over my good VC to a better housing as my TC front output shaft has very pointy splines + replacing the bearings. Planning on removing the transmission and changing the clutch as well, since I'm there...
                      Hopefully that will eliminate the whining noise on acceleration and mainly the clunking when pressing the clutch in rapidly.
                      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by notanawdix80 View Post

I honestly like the transfer case mount in 80a. it for sure adds some vibration to the equation, but nothing I personally can't deal with. I would add that if you do that mount, you'll want to do your engine mounts and rear diff mount as well at the same time just because of the added stiffness.

As far as the rear differential mount goes, i actually used a regular one for an RWD car (in 80a as well) that's not offset. It pushed the differential more into the body of the car and changes the geometry slightly, but i haven't noticed a negative effect from it yet.

Over the weekend I changed the gasket on my rear diff with some grey gasket maker and filled it with new Motul Gear 300 (the best). It didn't remedy my whine, BUT then i replaced the transmission fluid and that tamed it.

I'm thinking, through process of elimination, it's an output bearing... somewhere...

Comment

I did a handful of things over the weekend.

At some point my fuel pump filter fell off my filter and was floating around the tank. I checked it this weekend and was able to get it! Then I replaced it with a nice fresh filter.

I also did some homemaking stitch work on my carpet.

As well I covered my door trim with some nice vinyl, the same I used on my door pillars. It all matches and it looks so much better to me.
                          I'll get some pictures of the trim on lunch. Hard to photograph though cause it's just black trim.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Put in some new motor mounts today.

It's different to replace these in the IX.

Everyone says the NVH goes up with these, but honestly I'd say mine went down. That's probably due to my old mounts being awful, but either way they are great so far. Huge improvement.

Comment

looking good!

that grime needs a good powerwash! Or are you saving it as rust prevention? xD
                              325IX Build Thread
                              RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Haha! I didn't have time to look, but either my valve cover plugs are leaking or the cam seal is leaking. I need to check which one.

I spent a good amount of time washing the shit off the mount itself as it was. This leak has been plaguing my life. lol
                                Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
                                looking good!

that grime needs a good powerwash! Or are you saving it as rust prevention? xD

Comment

Working...
                                X