Comment

I'm really glad I sold my car to you.
      Hank Ahrens
      1984 Alpine Coupe
      1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        Nice Carerra.
        You are correct, and obviously have excellent taste in quality cars, your spelling notwithstanding.

The impact-bumper Porsches were the cars I cut out from my older brother's R&T and C&D magazines to paste on my bedroom wall when I was a kid. This '87 Carrera was the first big thing I bought when I got a real job. Even though my dad had an e30 M3 from new, they never registered on my radar when looking for my first real sportscar.

I daily-drove the Carrera for a few years, and it's what got me into driving on the track through Porsche Club track days. That eventually escalated into WTW racing in Spec Miatas (which eventually gave way to a vintage Alfa Spider racecar), since I wasn't going to risk the Porsche on a racetrack any further.

That brief foray into track days with the Carrera had me performing limited modifications in the way of rear spoiler and wider Fuchs wheels (8&9X16). Glad I stopped there, considering the rising value of these cars in stock form.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	7181671
        '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
          I'm really glad I sold my car to you.
          So am I!

Hey, my offer to let you drive the Carrera still stands.
          '91 325i

Comment

Please stay. Eat our food, enjoy our home. You are welcome here.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

you make your own bolts but not your own exhaust?

Im liking this build thread alot.
              1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
              1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
              1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
              1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
                Hey, my offer to let you drive the Carrera still stands.
                You are all witnesses of what he just said...
                Hank Ahrens
                1984 Alpine Coupe
                1978 911sc

Comment

Wanted to replace my headlights, but I don't feel like stooping/kneeling, and I can't be bothered by pulling out the jack and jack stands. Stupid HF jack doesn't get up very high, anyway.

So I bought a quick jack to raise the car up enough to work comfortably while sitting on a short stool. Wish I had this while replacing the exhaust.

Name:	IMG_4454.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	7182217

Name:	IMG_4484.jpg
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	7182218

Name:	IMG_4485.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	7182219
                  '91 325i

Comment

I wanted to replace the headlights, because one of the GE sealed high-beams was running low on headlight fluid. Kind of hard to see, but it's only about a quarter full. Where can you even find a bottle of that anymore? I used that as an excuse to step up to smoked Hella smileys + Lamin-x + LED city light + HID conversion. I like the crosshairs on the high beams, too.

Name:	IMG_4507.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	7182220

Name:	IMG_4509.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	7182221
                    '91 325i

Comment

Anticlimactic?

One the one hand, it's hard to see the new smoked headlamps. On the other hand, this looks kind of badass.

Name:	IMG_4510.jpg
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	7182278
                      '91 325i

Comment

hella badass
                        1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                        1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                        Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                        1967 2002 parts car
                        1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Showed the car some MAF intake love. This also entails swapping out the MarkD chip for the Miller MAF conversion chip.

Originally, this was a PSIK (Pro Street Induction Kit) that ran the tube under the engine and located the cone filter right in front of the front wheel. I ran it that way for a week, but it rains here a lot, and the filter was in the direct path of water spray and road grit, especially since I have yet to install fender liners and what not.

I started to fab up an aluminum shield/housing for the filter, but the 205 tires wouldn't clear it at 3/4 steering lock. So the PSIK wasn't going to work for me as intended. I ended up reusing the stock intake elbow and cut down the tube to locate the filter behind the driver headlight. It's probably a few inches longer than just the MAF conversion pipe.

When I had the PSIK in place, the butt dyno (the second most worthless kind of dyno) told me I had extra power in the midrange. This was reinforced by the mind dyno (the MOST worthless kind of dyno) that wants to justify the >$500 expense, and THINKS that there is more power. There was also a nice distant intake growl at moderate acceleration, increasing to an authoritative snarl at WOT.

Now that the tube is shorter, the butt dyno has a harder time interpreting power changes because the butt dyno is being shouted down by the hellaciously loud intake howl at WOT, especially after 5K RPM. The mind dyno is asking "What have you done?!" It's wonderfully loud. Otherwise, it's fine for regular driving speeds.

Really hard to tell if there's less power behind all that extra noise, I mean, music. It's like this custom length of tubing has stumbled into a sonic/pressure pulsed wave harmonic amplifying dynamic vortex of energy. Or something like that. (I'm a self-proclaimed genius).

Name:	IMG_4512.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	7183882
                          '91 325i

Comment

I like what you're doing with the place!

You can add a water temp. gauge now to that hole you made in the thermo housing - if you're into that sort of stuff.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

^ glad to see someone going the MAF conversion. I'm torn between one of those and an m52 swap. Mostly because of the cost but also because my motor has 200k. But then that could be a reason to keep the m20 :|

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Can't wait to install this M-tech 1 spoiler, fresh from the paint shop.

Name:	IMG_4514.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	7183913
                                '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                                X