This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WARNING: Drilling bumper shocks.

I was tucking the front bumper on my 84' drilling the shock off of the car. I used a very small drill bit and held a rag over the hole. The shock exploded with way more power than I estimated. The shock fluid shot in a fine mist and hit my roof, car, drill and my face. The shock of the shock exploding caused me to gasp and I inhaled the mist of death. I cleaned everything up and felt fine.

The next day on my way to work I felt drunk and I was coughing painful lung tearing coughs. I just avoided coughing as much as possible until I got home, at which point my throat started to close up. I laid down and relaxed and it went away. Then 4 or so hours later my throat was almost completely closed. So I called the poison control center who looked up the info and informed me that this fluid is hydrocarbon based and very harmful(no shit). It often causes delayed pneumonia symptoms which I had.

So I went to the ER with a 100 degree temperature coughing up huge chunks of random stuff with extremely painful coughs.

After a chest Xray I was told I wasn't going to die. Given a breathing treatment to open up my lungs and sent home with an inhaler.

I'm a idiot for breathing it in, and for not setting up a better shield. If you're going to do this, wear a mask, face shield, turbin, anything to protect your orifices and lungs.

Originally posted by StewStewIloveyouyou
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys
    And am making my life with you guy too. ;)

Damn, dude! Full face shield next time. Glad you are ok.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Glad the Po already did mine ;)

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
        Damn, dude! Full face shield next time. Glad you are ok.
        And this ^^

Comment

Whoa, note to self: where face mask when tucking bumpers on eta. glad you're going to be alright. did you get that shit put back together and tucked ?
          [sigpic

Comment

holy hell. Im doing this next week, thanks for the warning. Glad your okay.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
            Sounds like you need a massage.
            Originally posted by kpeng
            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Yeah, I heard a lot about things like that (not exactly your case) but I wore goggles, did it outside, away from my car, and most importantly, closed my mouth right before breaking through.

Glad you're going to be okay OP. Seemed like a scary situation.

WTB NorCal: Z4 shifter + misc. parts

Comment

shock Oil is.................well oil. Of course its hydrocarbon based.

but yeah breathing in anything other than air is generally not advisable, as is drilling holes it shit that has highly compressed fluid in it. UNLESS Proper precautions are taken.

I am glad you are ok, and the good thing about this is, you have learned a very valuable lesson outta this.

Sorry to be the grandpa in the room.
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

That sucks, hope you feel better

When I drilled the shocks we were squirting the fluid onto our neighbors yard and plants.....Two days later; DEAD!/
                  1985 BMW 325e
                  1997 BMW M3/4/5
                  2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

damn. good to know, thanks!
                    Driving:1990 325iS, 2007 335i :devil:
                    past BMWs: 1987 325iS turbo, 1989 325i, 1995 525i, 2000 328CI, 2001 540i, 2008 135i

Comment

Good to hear you're ok. But i thought that when drilling a shock that was under pressure, that common sense would say stand back for the pressure to be released!

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by expressfish View Post
                        Whoa, note to self: where face mask when tucking bumpers on eta. glad you're going to be alright. did you get that shit put back together and tucked ?
                        Haha yeah it's back together and looks so much better.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah f--- this community its like am making my life with you guys

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                          Good to hear you're ok. But i thought that when drilling a shock that was under pressure, that common sense would say stand back for the pressure to be released!
                          Yeah I'm totally retarded. But I did learn my lesson. I felt like an idiot explaining what happened to the doctor. "what's a shock absorber?"

Comment

Ahhh damn that sucks, good to hear your ok

Live & learn!
                            Originally posted by e30lov
                            sweet a mk4 jetta, haven't seen one of them for about 14 seconds
                            Adventures of an E30

Comment

Fever is 103 degrees. Getting worse. Missed the E30 meet :-/ Rad.

Comment

Working...
                              X