Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best fuel pump setup? I keep burning up walbros...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best fuel pump setup? I keep burning up walbros...

Just had another walbro 255 crap out this morning. Could get it to fire back up with a good smack but not for long. This one had like 500 miles on it or less, the last one went for a few thousand.

I've heard people have mixed experiences with these, are they just hit and miss? For various reasons I had a stock cheapo pump from Autozone (needed it pronto right before a rallycross) that worked just fine for ages until I pulled it to replace with another new walbro before my turbo install, which is the one that just gave up the ghost today.

Can you guys recommend something better? I see some people adding an inline high flow pump along with the in tank one- I don't mind doing this but it seems unnecessarily complicated...this car will run a max of around 300whp eventually. There must be a better alternative out there.

Car is '88 iX w/HX35, around 10psi most of the time.

Thanks!

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

DW
    DeatschWerks Fuel Pumps = The Flow You Want with the Fitment You Need DW has engineered its fuel pumps to maximize flow at higher pressures. By designing the armature for torque bias, delaying pressure relief activation, and maximizing impeller efficiency, DW has created a line of pumps with an extremely flat flow curv
    1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

What's a stock pump good for ? 300 might be ok ?
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

A fuel pump should last 20 years....

I personally only buy genuine bosch. Not knock-off Bosch, expensive genuine bosch.

Comment

Yes non povo spec oe pump work well if they satisfy the fuel delivery / power requirements
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            What's a stock pump go for? 300 might be ok ?
            Ftfy,

I replaced mine about (5 years ago) a year before I did my 24V swap, with a new BMW unit from bosch.
            I did not want to deal with headaches while enjoying a drive. Did the math and at 30 years, I'd be spending about $11.×× for the pump yearly.
            So I coughed up the 300 plus for a brand new unit and no beaches to report in 5 years.
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

bosch foo
              Originally posted by wholepailofwater
              Q
              :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

where do you keep buying them?

Comment

You sure you are buying genuine walbro pumps? Those have worked for years for me without failures. Even with e85.

And how is your pump setup. In-tank pup or outside fuel tank? Outside of the tank can easily cavitate when installed wrong which quickly destroys pump.

Comment

I think I've gotten them on Amazon- I assume they are genuine walbro but hard to say? I hadn't realized there are so many occurrences of fake ones floating around.

This is the one that just gave up the other day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm simply replacing the stock in tank pump (late model car) with these and using the stock wiring. People keep mentioning running a separate relay direct from battery, are any of you guys doing this? I was under the impression that the stock fuel pump relay and wiring should be adequate to run whatever pump.

I guess I had assumed the stock pump can't flow enough for FI applications but obviously that's incorrect. I have a new aeromotive pump on the way but maybe I'll buy a fresh OEM one to throw in the spares box in the trunk.

Are there other factors with the fuel system that could contribute to this like bad FPR, restricted return line, etc....? Are there simple ways of testing these pieces?

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

First post, best post. I like Deatsch pumps too. I'll echo the sentiments of the other posters in this thread, they should not be burning up like this and the question is, is there something wrong with your setup or are the pumps knockoffs?

Originally posted by digger View Post
                      What's a stock pump good for ? 300 might be ok ?
                      That's pushing it. When I replaced my stock pump I had to retune my boost map significantly, evidence of fuel pressure dropping. I don't remember how much boost I was running on the M42 at that time but it was probably 15-16psi judging by the date I did the job. At 16psi my turbo M42 could just keep up with an M20 car on 10psi IIRC, so I doubt it was making 300hp.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

on the wiring question the answer is. NO.

here's a thread where i ran into a lean problem because of the weak e30 wiring.
                        changed it to a relay using 14g wires and gave me acouple more psi til it actually maxed out. had the pump for over 10 years at least btw.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Pump wire upgrayedd by jet jones, on Flickr
                        There it is by jet jones, on Flickr

Comment

I just installed an Aeromotive 340 for my S54 (way overkill, I just wanted something good quality). I think DW is a good choice as well. I specifically avoided Walbro because it seems impossible to know if you are getting a legitimate one or not. Is there any chance that you may have had fuel starvation that caused the pump to run dry?

Is there a DW pump that fits nicely in the E30 hanger? I had to chop off the bottom bracket for my Aeromotive, so it is just hanging there by the hose right now.

Also, LowR3V'in, what type of grommet did you use on your connection there? I'm using the original connector right now with the 12awg aeromotive wire soldered to the tabs inside, but would like to update to 14awg or 12awg outside the tank.

Comment

When i was looking at pumps yrs ago a genuine bosch was close to 300aud and the equivilent walbro was half that cost. And the walbro was physically half the size. I just couldn't see how the walbro could be as good as the bosch for so cheap. I know people have success with them but how many oems use walbro...

Comment

Using a TRE for about 2 years now no issue, M20 91 17psi ~400whp

TREperformance sells high pressure 255 LPH fuel pumps for all BMW vehicles including the E30. These performance pumps will fit any BMW E 30 and flow 255LPH and support 500hp.

I had a fake Walbro prior that my fabricator installed to which he said he didn't know was fake - lasted a year before buzzing loud and eventually not letting the car run right when the unit overheats.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X