No announcement yet.

My E30 got hit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's crazy. When my parent's '89 four door was totaled their insurance initially offered $3500, but I wrote a long email with a bunch of comps and ended up getting my parent's a check for over $5000. It honestly was probably the cleanest, most original low mile 4 door I've seen, though.
    My Feedback

Comment

Their customer hit YOU, you have a lot more leverage than if you were making a claim on your own comprehensive policy. Don't settle quickly, tell them you would be happy with them replacing it with a comparable car and see what they find. Their offer is too low.

Comment

I should clairfy, i filed a claim on my insurance policy. Should/can i withdraw it and file with the company repersenting the person who hit me? This is my first time dealing with this process.

Comment

yes, this should go through their insurance. your insurance is there to maybe unfuck you if they don't have any.
          cars beep boop

Comment

I'm surprised your insurance company isn't sticking up for you or at least giving you war time advice. Well...I'm actually not surprised. I don't know the mileage or condition or your car, or even if it's a 5 speed...but 3,500 is on the low end for a high mile fairly crappy automatic example. If this doesn't describe your car, then I hope you fight....they need to be fair and justify any settlement offer.

Comment

Originally posted by ALYKZANDYR View Post
              I should clairfy, i filed a claim on my insurance policy. Should/can i withdraw it and file with the company repersenting the person who hit me? This is my first time dealing with this process.
              Absolutely go through their insurance, you weren't even a factor in the situation since the car was parked so they're more or less at your mercy. Make as big of a deal of it as possible and talk lawyers with them, the cost of them buying a comparable 325is replacement would probably be cheaper than the payout after a lawsuit (not even to mention legal fees) they'd have to pay.
              Injectors - services, upgrades, rebuild kits and stock sets available! 14.5lb, 17lb, 19lb, 21lb, 28lb, 33lb, M20B27 injectors available https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413372

Comment

Sorry to see this happen. I know it sucks, speaking from personal experience. Buy it back and part it out. Geico paid $5000 on my plain jane '90 325i Calypso red. paid. Hang in there and show them good comps.
                Last edited by smellthebeans; 11-20-2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Yes (emphatically) withdraw the claim and file with the at fault party's insurance. Your insurance would just bill them anyway.

Insurance companies are not on your side. Do your home work go out and find good comps outside of the local market (late models especially). Work with the claims adjustor be polite but firm. This whole thing will take several days to resolve because you will not like their initial settlement offer.

Comment

As for my hips, I'm transgender, I got my prescription and started my transition in July 2017, started having feelings I should be a girl around 2001, finally came out in 2016.
                    That explains that!

anyway thanks for the kind wishes, however, depending on how this works out with insurance this may be my last e30. This one was almost everything I wanted in an e30, and even if I found another like it, I don't to go through this again emotionally, logistically and financially.
                    I know exactly what you mean. I feel the same way about my car, though I try not to think about it. Best of luck, and I agree you shouldn't give up yet with insurance.
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

So Ive decided i will be getting another e30 after all. This spring ill be in the market for an 85-89 325 cabrio. After i find one my current car will be stripped of all parts likely in early summer. Parts not compatible with a cabrio will be available for sale including the IS trim and front plastic bumper and valence as I will be doing euro bumpers on my next car. The body shell will be scrapped unless anyone local wants it.

Comment

you can look for one all the way through 90 or 91 because those are all small taillights and metal bumpers. The rear bumper can still be salvaged too. Strip it down to nothing, because you have a lot of goodies.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          you can look for one all the way through 90 or 91 because those are all small taillights and metal bumpers. The rear bumper can still be salvaged too. Strip it down to nothing, because you have a lot of goodies.
                          the reason I want a pre 90 is I want a factory non airbag car. Anyway, ill have enough spare parts to keep my next one running for a long time. :p

Comment

So Ive decided i will be getting another e30 after all. This spring ill be in the market for an 85-89 325 cabrio. After i find one my current car will be stripped of all parts likely in early summer. Parts not compatible with a cabrio will be available for sale including the IS trim and front plastic bumper and valence as I will be doing euro bumpers on my next car. The body shell will be scrapped unless anyone local wants it.
                            So what happened with insurance?

I just got into an accident that totaled my e30 (I t-boned someone who ran a red light) and I'm waiting to hear from the other person's total loss department. So any info on what worked for you and how to get a better payout would be helpful. (I've already totaled the cost of my modifications and provided print-outs of similar cars that sold on BaT in the last year).
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                              So what happened with insurance?

I just got into an accident that totaled my e30 (I t-boned someone who ran a red light) and I'm waiting to hear from the other person's total loss department. So any info on what worked for you and how to get a better payout would be helpful. (I've already totaled the cost of my modifications and provided print-outs of similar cars that sold on BaT in the last year).
                              I wasn't able to get anywhere what I wanted out of insurance, I got around 3,500ish after buyback. I probably could've gotten more If i had hired a lawyer but the situation had already gone on for almost 2 months and i didn't want to drag it out any longer. I tried submitting BaT cars but they didn't care, it made no difference to them what real people actually pay for these cars they would only pay what their internal book says its worth.

At this point I'm just going to buy a new one and part out my wrecked one, I'll be sitting on enough parts to keep my new one running for a long time. I will be selling the plastic bumpers and most of the interior as I want a euro bumper cabrio next.

Comment

I wasn't able to get anywhere what I wanted out of insurance, I got around 3,500ish after buyback. I probably could've gotten more If i had hired a lawyer but the situation had already gone on for almost 2 months and i didn't want to drag it out any longer. I tried submitting BaT cars but they didn't care, it made no difference to them what real people actually pay for these cars they would only pay what their internal book says its worth.

At this point I'm just going to buy a new one and part out my wrecked one, I'll be sitting on enough parts to keep my new one running for a long time. I will be selling the plastic bumpers and most of the interior as I want a euro bumper cabrio next.
                                I learned this the hard way too - unless you absolutely need to use your E30 as a daily driver, regular insurance is woefully inadequate coverage for these cars, especially as they transition into collectible cars. If you have another vehicle you can daily, agreed upon value insurance is the best bet. It also tends to be much cheaper (I was paying $127 a year for 10K in coverage for my 318IS).

Comment

Working...
                                X