No announcement yet.

Econti's Lazurblau 318is twin builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a fun job isn't it. Took me about that many hours as well to do the entire underside of mine last year. Many more hours after that in painting it too.

Comment

Few more hours today! Got more of the under body seal removed. The floor is kind of sectioned just due to the design so it makes it easy to do a block and move on.
      Did the driver's footwell and then rear passenger stripped and primed.

Would have done more but my wire wheel ran out of wire...

So the question was what to do next.
      I went and bought an engine stand and put it together.

Got the good block from under the house and put that on. Looks good

Found the best head I have and mocked that up. It does have 2 bent valves but I have spares.

It came with some custom lumpies. Sent an email to cat to find out spec.

Also has good springs which is a nice find.

Got the intake manifold out of my room to see how it looks. The answer is damn good

On went a rocker cover. Won't be using that one and definitely won't be that colour.

I also have some custom engine arms. It sits the engine back close to the firewall, and also leans it upright a bit more for more turbo room and to fit a G260 with no shifter lean.
      The guy who originally ran this engine had a custom sump made, but when it threw a rod that rod directly exited through the sump and obliterated it.
      Tried to fit a standard E36 M42 sump on but the lower part is too fat to fit past the sway bar. It's a shame because I now have to make/have made arms instead of using these ones.

But a good view to make some motivation.
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

More hours, more mess, more noise complaints but most importantly more progress.

Really hard to get into all the corners around the rear valance.
        The car was originally hacked to fit a twin tip exit, so I might cut off the current rocker panel, get in all the cracks to remove sealant, and find a good factory twin tip rocker and weld that back on.
        sigpic

Comment

Wow you have got serious with this build! Ive never gone down to a bare shell on any of my projects. Maybe one day I will do this to my M3.

Makes me homesick seeing Pittwater in your bike shots.... My Nana still lives on Prince Alfred Parade.
          Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
          2000 M5 Winter beater
          1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
          1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkson View Post
            Wow you have got serious with this build! Ive never gone down to a bare shell on any of my projects. Maybe one day I will do this to my M3.

Makes me homesick seeing Pittwater in your bike shots.... My Nana still lives on Prince Alfred Parade.
            It was more out of necessity than me just wanting to do it. I am also not very smart
            sigpic

Comment

Quiet morning at the shop, so I went home at lunch to put some more hours in.

I was sick of doing the underneath of it so got the driver's rear wheel well pretty much finished. The remainder I cannot do with a grinder so it's hand scraper material from here.

I also did a bit more of the battery tray. Note that this rust, while visible before, was almost all hidden under the paint. CHECK YOUR CARS

Yet another reason of why I'm glad I'm doing it. Little patches of corrosion like this, that are unable to be seen and in odd locations. This is almost on the front corner of the rear valance.

This led into me discovering that the rocker panels are also covered in the same stuff, which meant this:

I then did a little bit of the front wheel well.

Then my grinder shit itself. That's it for today then!

77h total now, 27 of which has been on the underbody.
              sigpic

Comment

How many more hours do you think are left on the underbody?

What's the plan for the battery box? Fab some panels, find a donor, or does someone make replacement sheet metal?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                  How many more hours do you think are left on the underbody?

What's the plan for the battery box? Fab some panels, find a donor, or does someone make replacement sheet metal?
                  Remaining hours, I honestly don't know. I still have so much to do. The exhaust tip cutout was done by a blind person it seems, so I'm planning on cutting that, removing the sealant behind it that I can't access then welding in a replacement panel that I do not yet have.
                  I then need to tidy up all the hard to access parts with a paint scraper or screwdriver, remove all the rest on the other bits, strip the seam sealer off the engine bay and then weld most of the seams together to make it fresh again.

If it was another 30 hours I'd be very very happy.

In regards to the battery tray I have a cut from a donor car that I took like 3 years ago lol
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, keep it up. Lots of good progress!

Originally posted by econti View Post
                    In regards to the battery tray I have a cut from a donor car that I took like 3 years ago lol
                    If I've learned nothing else from owning an E30 it's to collect parts even if you don't think you'll need them at the time. I kick myself for not buying certain things up a few years ago. :D

Comment

Had a bit of time today so started on the engine bay.
                      As we know these cars can have problems with the strut tower spot welds becoming weak, so since I was stripping it all I decided to put a couple spot welds in to try and help it out.

Stripped the seam sealer

And did some spots.

Welder wasn't particularly happy, voltage setting 2 was too hot and 1 was not hot enough. Had a good earth so not too sure what else I can do. Tried all variations of wire feed settings. Whatever.

I did measure the location of the strut tower relative to the body and took lots of time between welds to make sure it didn't move due to heat.
                      I sat the body on saw horses on the frame rails, and then jacked up the front on the rotisserie just enough to not let it be hanging with weight on it.
                      Measured exactly the same as before so it must have been ok.

79.5h so far
                      sigpic

Comment

In more exciting news, however, this little whirler made its way to me.

It's a 2nd generation GTX2860, .72 A/R on the exhaust housing, external gate. Theoretical headroom is 300rwkw+ (500rwhp?).

It's been dropped up to the fabricator, along with gearbox, intake manifold and a few other bits.
                        He's making new engine arms that will sit the M42 upright enough for the G260 to be perfectly in position. This leaves more room for the turbo. He's also making a manifold to suit the turbo which should look titties.

EXCITE
                        sigpic

Comment

Oof, that turbo. Would love to have one of those, twice the price of what I have though! It's getting real now.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                            Oof, that turbo. Would love to have one of those, twice the price of what I have though! It's getting real now.
                            Thankfully a friend works at a shop so I get much better prices. If I was paying retail I would have gone a Borg Warner as they are much better value
                            sigpic

Comment

Angle grinder now has fire coming out when I use it.
                              That brings the total E30 kill total to two rabbits, a Makita angle grinder, numerous abrasive wheels, a few tyres, a truck driver's insurance premiums and one relationship.

Brought home the spare grinder from work.

Aaaalmost there....
                              85h total.

sigpic

Comment

holy smokes its coming aloooong!
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X