UUC DSSR headache...again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UUC DSSR headache...again.

A while ago I bought a UUC DSSR for my e36 (1994 325i), and when I got it, it was completely the wrong size. Everything in the drivetrain was completely stock, my build date was within the specified range for fitment. I could not for the life of me get the problem fixed, and I work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day, and don't have the time to make phone calls. I chalked it up to a total loss, and gave my DSSR away with it never getting put to use. I swore never to return to UUC ever again.

UUC is also the ONLY company I know of in the modern world that REFUSES to answer emails. I know they like to throw out the excuse that "email is not a guaranteed form of communication", and while that's somewhat true, there's also these fancy little features like "delivery confirmation", "read receipts", and "auto-reply" which take care of all of that. If someone isn't that computer savvy and they have time unlike me, they could easily follow up on emails with a phone call. There's absolutely NO reason to remove email as a viable form of communication. That is unless you like the fact that nobody can ever prove what you say or promise. Hmmm...

A couple years goes by, and I pick up an e30. I figure, okay, the same thing can't possibly happen twice, right? It's just a straight bar with holes in it, how hard is that to mess up? My shifter components are old and worn out, I want to tighten it up and it should be an easy, happy upgrade.

Ordered a 187 DSSR for my 1987 e30 (325e, 10-1986 build date) with all original parts, Getrag 5 speed. Also ordered the required 1989+ selector rod joint along with it. Got the parts in, all excited and NOPE! The e30 DSSR is also the wrong size. What the hell is going on here?! It's not like my two cars are rare or anything, easily the two most abundant BMW's in the market. All original drivetrains and completely unmodified in that regard, hell I don't even have short shift kits on either car.

So far I have talked to two techs, who offered almost no help and assured me the DSSR is the right one, and that even though the overall length is incorrect, that the hard points/mounting points are at the correct distance. This is CLEARLY wrong, a flat out lie, or someone is severely misinformed and was too lazy to do any fact checking. The 187 DSSR which UUC's site says is the correct part for my car, is 7mm too long. There's simply no two ways about it. My OEM selector rod is 180mm.

***Photos are attached below

Getting nowhere with the tech support guys, I tried sales. I managed somehow to make another call during my workday, and talked to Kate, who immediately seemed more responsive and helpful. She said go ahead and get me the measurement you need, and that I would get the proper part. She even asked if the DSSR was bent or straight, which the tech guys didn't even think of asking. My selector rod is straight by the way, as it should be. Sent an email with measurement, along with photos to prove I'm not crazy, no response. Followed up by email, and forwarded it again to Kate's email and the general email for UUC... nothing.

I am extremely annoyed at this point. It is NOT an easy feat for me to make phone calls, as absurd as that sounds. I'm also on Pacific time, which doesn't help either. I'm in production, work long days with no lunch and I shouldn't be forced as a customer to repeatedly hound this company to fix their mistake. I paid for a part that fits my car, and that's all that I want. I don't think that's too much to ask at all.

If UUC knows there are multiple fitments/varying lengths for each application, it would be really swell to know that beforehand. I would have gladly pulled the part to confirm measurement before I ordered something. Instead, there's only one choice for my application, and absolutely nothing that says otherwise or forewarns of an issue like mine. I have now spent about $300 or so with UUC for parts and shipping combined, and have nothing to show for it, no parts I can use, and I'm irritated beyond belief. I'm amazed and horrified that a company that is run such as this is, can actually stay in business.

UUC, if you want to win back a customer, this is your last chance.

"It's not the mistake that matters, but how you handle it."
    Attached Files
    Current_SeeDee 1972 e10 Luna 1975 e10
    Past___Veronica 1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

Have you asked for a refund?

Comment

A refund is really the last thing I want, unless absolutely no resolution can be reached.

I simply want a DSSR that properly fits my e30. Even so, as hard as it is to reach them I don't think getting a refund will be any easier than getting the right part.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your problems, I've been eyeing the dssr for a while.

Is there someone you can have call during business hours for you? A friend/girlfriend?
        - Josh
        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Make sure you measure before you order I guess Josh... learn from my pain. Like I mentioned, I have ordered one for the e36 and the e30, and both were completely wrong measurements on hugely popular, unmodified cars. The DSSR is a work of art in itself, if you look past the improper fitments. I really do want a proper fitting one in each car.

Girlfriend's last day of work is Saturday, so I may ask her to call them on my behalf. She's not very informed or technically inclined as she's just learning.

Comment

FYI, AKG makes DSSR too.

I don't get why everyone gets the UUC one. I never see anyone on here even mention the AKG one. It's been around for a long time and it's even a few bucks less expensive...
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Looks great, I wasn't aware anyone else made the part. I have had nothing but great experiences with AKG, I will spring for that part if UUC doesn't work out.

Comment

Originally posted by VinniE30 View Post
                FYI, AKG makes DSSR too.

I don't get why everyone gets the UUC one. I never see anyone on here even mention the AKG one. It's been around for a long time and it's even a few bucks less expensive...
                Do they make the 10° twisted one for 24V swap cars? If not, they should... this was probably the single best bolt-in/bang-for-the-buck part I've ever owned. made such a huge difference, and is such a simple, good esign.

This is, at least to me, another one of those situations like the "RESPECT YOUR ELDERS" stickers. If the person/party who was originally producing something isn't going to get it done, someone else should. As far as I know, this isn't a trademarked/copyrighted part.
                Last edited by Jand3rson; 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I put a USED AKG dssr in my car and it fit and worked great. Just so you know.
                  seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                    This is, at least to me, another one of those situations like the "RESPECT YOUR ELDERS" stickers. If the person/party who was originally producing something isn't going to get it done, someone else should.
                    This situation and the Elders stickers are not even remotely similar. Mucci's Elders stickers were intended from the outset to be a limited run (read: rare) item. It was only after that limited run was exhausted that the copycats from others started showing up.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

So, because people want something that's very popular, something fairly simple (be it a sticker or a section of linkage), it should be left in obscurity and not made available to others, simply for the fact of keeping it "rare"? That's just childish on the face of it.

AKG is well within its abilities to modify the design of their linkage rod to accommodate the 10° twist and work with 24V swap cars.

And I want this made perfectly clear, to you and anyone else who may have inferred it, I am in no way saying that the design should just be "taken over" and reproduced by someone else. There's very little in this world, and more specifically, this industry, that can't be improved upon and/or produced by another manufacturer. Innovation does not simply manifest of its own accord.
                      Last edited by Jand3rson; 12-01-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

So you wouldn't be upset if someone started producing your seat brackets Josh?
                        harry/harout

Comment

When people buy our brackets, we make them, and then ship them out. With the exception of a very few incidents, we aren't keeping people waiting for months, not responding to correspondence, sending them the wrong parts, or ones that don't fit.

And other direct fit Recaro brackets are already being produced, just in different designs.
                          Last edited by Jand3rson; 12-01-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                            So, because people want something that's very popular, something fairly simple (be it a sticker or a section of linkage), it should be left in obscurity and not made available to others, simply for the fact of keeping it "rare"? That's just childish on the face of it.

...I am in no way saying that the design should just be "taken over" and reproduced by someone else.
                            But in the preceding quoted paragraph, that's exactly what you said. A finite production number on a decal versus a hard part that is made by multiple manufacturers is not a good comparison - that's my point.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                              But in the preceding quoted paragraph, that's exactly what you said. A finite production number on a decal versus a hard part that is made by multiple manufacturers is not a good comparison - that's my point.
                              I can understand that. But I will maintain, as I said in the quoted post, this is essentially still a piece of linkage. Detailed design and a few other small parts aside, still a piece of shift linkage.

Comment

Working...
                              X