regular old m60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regular old m60 swap

Hello there, Gonna document my v8 swap, and probably post a lot of misinformation within this thread. Fingers crossed.

About three years ago i moved to Austin and befriended a man who would be the sole inspiration to this build. While his car isnt an e30, or even a bmw, that thing rules! he owns a VH45 swapped 240sx (4.5lt v8 from infiniti q45)

. I really dont care for 240's, and this thing has way too much poke, way too much stretch, far too many stickers, and theres a fucking hole in the hood because the stupid engine doesnt fit! But for some reason it works.

So after a few rides in this car and with very little consideration, a v8 swap was ingrained into my head for my baby.

A year or two passed and my m20 finally started to crap out on me, so i decided it was time. Bought a motorcycle to commute while the car was down and started researching like mad. About a month goes by without any progress, due to a few unexpected occurrences. And one day my bike quits on me. Turns out the PO (one of my good friends at the time) never did any maintenance on it, turns out my bike ran dry and the engine seized, FML. Now i'm without a car and a motorcycle, leaves me with the bus and my bmx bike. Needing transportation i bought an m20 from a town a few hours away for cheap and spent the next 6 months putting it in (car was across town).

Finally got it running and driving, and i'm stoked. Now that brings us to about 3 months ago. 3 weeks ago i was driving home from work in this torrential downpour. i'm a mile away from home a cab cuts me off on the inside lane, so naturally i swerve to avoid him. Lo and behold theres a fucking lake sized puddle in front of me! Not knowing what to do i decided "fuck it" and hammered through at full speed, mid lake however my car decided it wasn't having it and she died on me. So there i sat, wallowing in my car waiting for AAA to come because i can't get out and push because i'm sitting in a foot of water. Hydrolocked the ol' gal and now she sounds like a machine gun when ran. The worst part about it though is that the puddle destroyed my IS lip and Ryan G splitter! UUUGGGHHH:firehop::firehop::firehop:!!!! So now after much consideration, a few lucky coincidences, and a lot of peer pressure, the time has come!

My build will start out fast but die very soon as a have some funds saved up but not enough for the whole project. I have decided to go the m62 route with the m60 stuff bolted on for obd1. unless someone can convince me otherwise.
    Last edited by dothadance; 04-25-2016, 11:43 AM.

wow..this is like yeah....ohhhh.......yeah....ohhhhh.
    damn.....there's got to be a happy ending here for you. so let the build thread begin.....
    sigpic
    323i MTEC1
    Z3 coupe
    E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
      wow..this is like yeah....ohhhh.......yeah....ohhhhh.
      damn.....there's got to be a happy ending here for you. so let the build thread begin.....
      Hahaha I sure hope so. I really just think all my troubles were because my car didn't want to have an m20 in it, I should've taken the first motor as a hint.
      Last edited by dothadance; 05-12-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Got a few presents in the mail today 😄 wilwood pedal assembly and mount from garagistic. Should have all my MC's come in tomorrow. Decided to buy the brake setup first so I would have something to tinker with while I'm finding the rest of my parts

Comment

Past week or so my mc's came in
          Z3m rad

And my local junkyard had some goodies I had been eyeballing :o m60 5 speed and an e46 steering shaft. I was trying to get the wiring harness for a few days too but couldn't reach this last connector and refused to cut it, and one day I return and someone ripped the harness open :( sad panda.
          The steering shaft has been teasing me for some time now. The whole front assembly of the car was on the ground for months completely blocking any access I had. Sure enough someone finally grabbed the motor.
          Last edited by dothadance; 12-23-2015, 10:57 AM.

Comment

rare find for a 5-speed m60.
            sigpic
            323i MTEC1
            Z3 coupe
            E60 M5

Comment

What could this be?

Hello lightweight flywheel!!!

Comment

that's my next upgrade when its time for a clutch.
                sigpic
                323i MTEC1
                Z3 coupe
                E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
                  that's my next upgrade when its time for a clutch.
                  OCB is your swap up and running or you still working on it?

Comment

I got a motor!

Comment

It's about time you started wrenching on that car again. I was wondering where you went and what happened to your e30 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by navytapaul View Post
                        It's about time you started wrenching on that car again. I was wondering where you went and what happened to your e30 lol.
                        Hahaha. It was down for a while. She really just doesn't want that m20 in there.

Comment

I see that. Gl with the swap, keep postin pics.

Comment

There she is! Came with an automatic tranny which I will hopefully be able to sell off. Also, this is an m60 not an m62. Partially due to ease of install, but mostly because this motor was cheap as shiiiiiittttt 😎

Comment

Side note.

My dad is cooler than your dad. I don't even live there and he told me to leave it right next to the front door lmao. I now have an m60 an m20 and a ninja 500 motor sitting around his place.
                              Last edited by dothadance; 07-07-2015, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X