Ruby's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby's Thread

Hola, peeps! I was told I should make a thread for my E30, so that's what this is. Any updates I have on it or anything I do to her, I'll post in here. I don't know how much of an interest there is, but screw it. Maintenance, mechanical upgrades, creature comforts, I'll post whatever I think to take pictures of in here.

We'll start with a video I made when I first got her

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The first thing I had to do was reset that pesky service light. Easy peasy!

Comment

What's the point of getting a sweet car unless someone bashes into it within a week? Dallas is the worst. Notice how I was way over the line and totally had it coming? Oh wait, I was practically perfectly centered.

Well anyways, I went to AutoZone and got some stuff including oil, scratch remover, and a new battery since the one that came with it was 6 years expired.

After I got the new tail light in, I installed it and fixed up the scratches n' stuff

A couple weeks later, I finally got around to making the tail light match in color. Super easy mod, and it looks good as hell IMO [emoji106]

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 05-06-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Locking wheel studs all around. I can't afford to replace BBSs, so these were a no-brainer of a purchase.

Comment

The stereo sounded like ass when I got her. It wasn't so much as listening to music as much as it was "oh yeah, I remember that melody." I'm a huge music lover, so the stereo was at the top of my list.

The front speakers were removed and replaced with these crappy 6x9s that were under the seat. They seriously sounded worse than any car speakers I've ever heard. Unfortunately, the 6x9s were the only speakers with sound; nothing from the rears. I took the rear door cards out and reconnected the rear speakers, and got them working. Not the best sound system at all, but at least I had a little more highs from them. Believe it or not, it actually sounded better!

After I got the speakers working and reinstalled, I cleaned up some of the dirt with some Lysol wipes.

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 05-06-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Next upgrade to the stereo was to get rid of those bunghole blasters under the front seats and replace them with some ACTUAL speakers! The speakers i chose are the Rockford Fosgate Punch P-152 (Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P85IZI..._kGGdzbJYPCH2R).

I started the install and got the passenger side done, then I had to go and do the whole graduation thing. After all the celebration was said and done, I wanted to get the driver side installed. I didn't get done until after midnight because in order to take the kick panel off, you have to remove the door trim, door sill, lower dash panel, hood release latch, and then the kick panel. They were a little big, but the kick panel fit back over them easily enough.

The front speakers sound SO much better now.

Last edited by Levy3Poop; 05-06-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Out with the old, in with the new! The Old rear speakers got replaced with Rockford Fosgate Prime R1525x2 speakers. The problem with the rear is that the stick speakers hardly fit, so there's NO extra room. I got the Primes from a local car audio shop so I could test fit them, and these speakers actually had a little extra room. They're smaller than stock, but sound MUCH better.

Ruby actually came with an amp already installed in the trunk. It was some shitty old Dual amp, so I replaced it with my Rockford Fosgate Prime (150 watt, 2 channel) amp. I had to have a new ground wire installed professionally because I've never done that, and the ground wire from the Dual amp had NO EXTRA cable at all. I was swearing at that cable for 2 hours trying to get it to fit in the ground connector on the amp before I gave in and took it to a pro.

I bought my amp and 10" JBL sub from a friend years ago, and they've just been sitting around since I upgraded the system in my other car. The sub box is *just* too tall to fit under the roof box standing how they normally do, but if I slide it in horizontally, it works well! :D If i didn't always have my tool kit, a few parts, and my car cover in the trunk, I'd actually still have a decent amount of trunk space!

Comment

Yesterday, I bit the bullet and had a new head unit installed. The one that came with the car was a shitty old Blaupunkt head unit. It had almost no real EQ control, would cut out some times, and was overall a general POS. I got a Pioneer DEH-X2800UI, so now the sound system is all DONE and I can finally stop spending money.

Except, you're never done spending money on an E30. On the way home from getting the new head unit, Ruby was idling rough, and had a huge loss of power. It'd smooth out and gain power back once I revved it up above 2500RPM usually, but I was freaking out. I googled the problem, and found a post from BimmerForums that was so similar to my situation that I seriously thought I'd blacked out posted it. The guy from BimmerForums said his spark plugs were gnarly, he replaced them, and it fixed the issue, so that's what I did.

I went to AutoZone and replaced the spark plugs with the best ones they had, and she runs smooth again! $30 in plugs and the problem is fixed, which was a HUGE relief :)

Comment

Hey Man!!

Great intro of your car with the Video.
                  Love the vids, and enjoying the thread and the pics too.

Keep on posting, and thanks for sharing!!
                  1990 325i
                  2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
                    Hey Man!!

Great intro of your car with the Video.
                    Love the vids, and enjoying the thread and the pics too.

Keep on posting, and thanks for sharing!!
                    I'm glad you like the thread! I figured even if this thread doesn't gain any traction, at least i have a log to look back on in the future :)

Comment

I have Ruby a bath yesterday, and realized I didn't have any pictures of my front plate mount! It's a bracket that screws into the tow hook hole, so you don't have to drill any holes into the bumper. It's on there solid, but it changes angle if you bump it. It'll stay level if you make it level, but moves if you bump it. I kinda like that though, because I can give it a little attitude when it's parked and looking pretty, but then I can make it level when I drive so I don't look like some sort of dick lol.

Here's a link to the exact one I bought:
                      Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/332041217855

Notice how the eBay page has no pictures from the side? ... That's because it honestly looks goofy as fuck from the side lol. This plate mount definitely favors straight on views lol.

Comment

A while back, we got a car cover to help keep all the friggin' pollen off of Ruby and keep her clean, as well as keep water out of the car because the roof is horrid. We have a new roof, I just need to find time to install it. I've been putting it off because I know it's gonna be a whore of a job >.<

Also, Lindsay and I got engaged last Sunday :) Ruby is definitely the perfect vehicle for cruising around with my FIANCÉ!

Comment

How could I forget about when I mounted a holster to my center console?

Comment

I met another E30 at a little meet last night! I'd heard there was another one in town, but I had never seen it before, so it was cool to pull up and see another one :)

Comment

Today we both had a big day; Ruby got her first oil change since I took the reigns, and it was actually the first oil change I've ever done myself! I got her at 212K, and she rolled over 217K on the Austin visit, so she was due!

Lindsay and I went to a pawn shop to get some ramps I saw, but my car was too low to actually use the damn things. I really needed to get the oil change done TONIGHT because we're taking Ruby to see an old friend in Denton tomorrow, so I said fuck it and took off the lip to get her on the ramps, and it worked!

I got some Castrol GTX high milage synthetic oil and a new filter, drained out the old oil, flushed the oil until clean oil came out by using some spare oil I keep in the trunk, and then dumped all 5 quarts of synthetic into her.

Notice how my skid plate is hanging? Apparently there's only 2 bolts (on front and center, and the second one on the passenger side) holding it on. I spun gold out of shit by using it to my advantage by swinging it out of the way instead of taking the whole thing off.

I spent about an hour and a half swearing at Ruby trying to get my front lip back on, and I finally succeeded and drove home to find some Ruby mail! New clips for the rear speaker covers! I'll post pics tomorrow of the new speaker covers on. The clips were easy to install in the speaker cover: literally just push it through. I noticed the bottom plastic tab is broken in the middle of the passenger side cover. I don't think it'll be too noticable to be honest. I'll post the result tomorrow and we'll see if it looks good or like shit!

2 more small things; I made an oil change sticker for myself, and I got my first toll road mail. "Horay" and "shit."

Comment

Working...
                              X