89is Alpine Progress Thread: e30 Hibernation - e90 swap complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Car passed inspection after the second visit - forgot to check all the bulbs before I took it in. So we are good for another year. In the past month I've done a few more suspension upgrades and blew my load on black friday. As always, pictures speak for themselves.

Picked up some treehouse CABs and gave them some love.

Before

After - Metallic silver paint (same color as my swaybars) and a fresh Condor replacement bushing

Switched from control arm mounted swaybar end-links to strut tube mounted endlinks from CaTuned. I had originally ordered Garagistic, but they were too long and I could not shorten them.

Picked up some IE swaybar mounts for the 21mm convertible bar I have installed.

Upgraded to LED reverse lights

Black Friday Deals - Blunttech hooked it up with their OE BMW parts sale. Picked up IS side skirts and hardware, Window Guide rubbers, outer rubber for door window, and a 1 piece sunroof gasket.

sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Link to the LED lights you used?
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

https://superbrightleds.com

I picked them up to basically test them out. I think I’ll be ordering the rest of the tail light bulbs and front turn signals and maybe even high beams. If they trip the check panel, I’ll go back to stock though.
        sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Bronzit is sold

Bittersweet, but sold the Bronzit off today. It will be shipped to upstate New York via trailer for the next owner to enjoy. Older gentleman wanted a project to work on with his son. Very nice guys. The brother in law is actually handling the shipping for him. Also a fellow e30 and 2002 owner.

sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

great progress! awesome project

Comment

when you replace those window rubber pieces, will you document how and whatever? I have been wanting to replace mine for a while now.

Comment

Just FYI I’m running LED tail light bulbs and low beams and they all trip the check panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                  great progress! awesome project
                  Thanks Man!

when you replace those window rubber pieces, will you document how and whatever? I have been wanting to replace mine for a while now.
                  I will try to document as much as I can. It'll be a learning process for me. I can't see myself doing this until it gets warmer as I want to replace the rubber and paint the trim with SEM.

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  Just FYI I’m running LED tail light bulbs and low beams and they all trip the check panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I figured as much, I tried a few different bulbs for even the license plate lights and it still tripped it. I wonder if there is a certain brand that won't..?
                  sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Update

Not much has been happening but collecting even more parts. Haven't been driving it either since it got cold...

I picked up some Alpine Paint code 218 from Here. Going to use this to paint my black sunroof replacement panel, replacement black mirrors (mine were bubbled up at the base), and new IS side skirts. Unfortunately I can't do this until it gets warmer.

Paint

Mirrors

I also got this awesome Secret Santa Gift! I've always like M Rain fabric!

sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

I've been doing a lot of painting on my alpine white e30 since i got it. I'll give you a heads up that the 2k will be different than what you have on your car since it's a single stage urethane pant on there now. It will be much glossier. Unless you got a respray and i missed that part.

Also the color code i used is different than what you got. Yours is the 218 and mine was the 146. I think the 218 is for the next chassis which was using clear coat and the 146 was the single stage urethane paint.

I'm sure you've thought about this, but wanted to provide the unsolicited information.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of painting on my alpine white e30 since i got it. I'll give you a heads up that the 2k will be different than what you have on your car since it's a single stage urethane pant on there now. It will be much glossier. Unless you got a respray and i missed that part.

Also the color code i used is different than what you got. Yours is the 218 and mine was the 146. I think the 218 is for the next chassis which was using clear coat and the 146 was the single stage urethane paint.

I'm sure you've thought about this, but wanted to provide the unsolicited information.
                        Thanks for the info! - My car has definitely been resprayed. Hopefully it was painted with the same color code as the factory which is actually Alpinweiss II - 218. I pulled it off the shock tower and matched it up on the vin decoder site.

Have you used the 2k before? First time ever using this type of two stage paint.
                        sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Originally posted by VBe30 View Post
                          Thanks for the info! - My car has definitely been resprayed. Hopefully it was painted with the same color code as the factory which is actually Alpinweiss II - 218. I pulled it off the shock tower and matched it up on the vin decoder site.

Have you used the 2k before? First time ever using this type of two stage paint.
                          Yea, i used 2k on my taillights when i painted them red and they turned out great. The 2k is great because it gets harder and lasts longer.

Comment

Yea, i used 2k on my taillights when i painted them red and they turned out great. The 2k is great because it gets harder and lasts longer.
                            Sweet, I might have to re-do my all red tails with 2K.
                            sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Progress Update

Did some updates over the past few weeks. Nothing major, just some small details.

Garagistic Cupholder

Does anyone have a lead on a good size coffee cup for my morning commute? My Yeti does not fit in...its about the diameter of a water bottle.

Installed George Grave's dual usb charger. Works perfectly!

Joined BMW CCA and picked up a fresh grill badge during their $25 sale

I am currently in Atlanta for the Christmas holiday. Around Charlotte, I ran into an e30 M3 in transport. I posted on FB to ask who it was..ended up being 0-60 Freak's (AKA Jon) e30 M3 in transport to Texas. I woke my wife up out of a deep sleep to snap a quick pic for me haha

Lastly more progress for my m30 swap. I finally snagged a transmission from PnP. I had been monitoring it for 2+ yeas waiting for one to pop up. First time pulling a transmission. Surprisingly it wasn't too hard!

Getrag 260 for M30
                              sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Coldness

Still too cold to do anything I want to do for the car. It is just sitting in the garage waiting to be loved again.

Picked up a set of VDO gauges cheap on R3v Fb. I'm going replace the ashtray with these.

I had discovered these coin holders in a random car at PnP. Picked them both up as the textures are different. Added to the box of parts that are waiting to be painted.

Also scored a single e39 Style 5. It was in the trunk of a wagon at PnP. Now I just need 3 more...added to my collection of 1 Style 4, and 3 e38 Style 5s. Can't be the price of 25 bucks though..

Finally picked up this vibratory tumbler to start working on the hardware for the m30 swap. Plan is to clean everything up and find a place to zinc plate the batch in virginia beach.
                                sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Working...
                                X