Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Day, Another Engine Removed

*Not e30 content.

Started the tear down on the 06' 325xi 6-Speed. What an adventure...every other minute I found ANOTHER wire and sensor to unplug. I will be struggling to connect everything back together correctly (I'm sure of it). Lucikly I got the Bentley Manual for the e90. I was just so eager pulling it out, I only labeled about half of the harness..

Accessories removed

Had to drill out/air chisel the stuck axle nut on the drivers side.

Ready to pull

n52 is out!

How it sits. Luckily I was able to keep the AC system intact.

Time to source a known good N52...
    sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Update

I put in a solid couple e30 hours last Saturday while watching the world cup. My garage is in complete disarray right now. I’ll be posting a ton of parts for sale shortly as the lack of space is driving me insane. I also had a dresser I was refinishing in the way, luckily I knocked that out, so it yields a bit more room. I might take some stuff up into the attic for some relief.

First up I tackled removing the 4.10 LSD and axles. I had used autozone rebuilts from my last suspension overhaul and I reused all the oem axle bolts except one because it disappeared...guess which one stripped out

Next Up, I removed the remaining autotragic stuff. Driveshaft, Auto Pedals, and Shift selector

Tackled removing the brake booster...it needs a fresh repaint as well

Removed the Fenders, front Valence, then tackled the harnesses

Engine Harness labeled - from what I read I only need to extend the injector wiring harness for it to work. We shall see..

Roasted Harness - Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these pigtails? I don't want to have to replace every single 90 deg rubber connector on the harness. Weatherpak connectors possibly?

Current State

Next Up - Cleaning up the Bay some more, fixing wiring harness, install auto pedals, and make the core support removable.

Bonus - Before/After of the aforementioned dresser

Last edited by VBe30; 07-09-2018, 07:30 AM.
      sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Hey man, as for your harness, link up with my buddy on Instagram @almost_vintage_garage - he rebuilt one of his M1.1 harnesses after a huge M20B30 swap. If I recall correctly he found a good source for all of the BMW connections and other GM types of connections. He lives out by the REI in VA Beach, but is moving down out of state at the end of the month.
        Paynemw
        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

engine everywhere! great progress as always.

Comment

What's up with this build!?
            Paynemw
            1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
            the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
            1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I'm interested in that N52. lets see what's happening.

Comment

Massive Update

Well well well...a lot has happened in the past 6 months. First and foremost - I am now a father. My wife and I welcomed a beautiful baby girl into the world on 11.25.18. She is amazing.

So prior to her due date, I was determined to get the e90 running and driving, which I did! This allowed me to get the e30 out of my garage and over to my parents garage since the e90 was out. I wanted to be able to park our explorer in the garage over the winter for the baby's sake.

I bought 90% of the parts at fcp euro, so i have lifetime warranty on all the parts..even the oil! Replaced all the gaskets (except front/rear main), Valeo Single Mass flywheel/new clutch, new radiator, New windshield (insurance claim - free $$), new hood release, new rear window seals, new angel eye bulbs/fog lights, AVIN head unit, and much more I cannot even think of right now..

I coded the DME for the 3 stage manifold, and it runs fantastic.

Future Plans: Maybe Mtech bumpers, FRM2 (in the mail for Angel eye DRL), new wheels.

Now to the progress pics:

e90 parts stash

intake manifolds

3 stage for install

Replacement aluminum for prone-to-fail plastic fitting

Water pump

engine

front core support

front core support w/ headlights

headlight before Restore

After restore

Single mass flywheel conversion

Transmission going in

Valve cover off

VCG

Tensioner

back in

Fresh Oil

Modded the aux port for AVIN nav screen carplay in armrest

Ripped out old alarm from PO

Parcel Shelf Before

Parcel Shelf After

New Floor Mats

Carseat Base

Front

Tow Hook License plate holder - filled the holes with bumper repair. I plan on sanding and using some touch-up paint to cover

Interior Shot (missing new floor mats)

As it sits today

Junkyard scores waiting to go in
                Almost perfect Junkyard seat (prior to cleanign) - $30 bucks!

Homelink mirror

Bluetooth module - not that I'll even use it...but there is a button on my steering wheel so might as well make it work since the car is prewired.

Auto-fold mirrors

Sport wheel - the leather is way better on this one. Already wrapped the trim in 3m matte black vinyl

Fixed the vents

Now what everyone is here for, e30 content! Basically nothing has happened except moving it to my parents house. Spring time will be engine bay prep.

e30 getting hauled to its project space

One car out, one car in

Stay Tuned!
                Last edited by VBe30; 01-13-2019, 08:05 PM.
                sigpic

89' 325is - Alpine

Comment

Working...
                X