Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

priming 325iX engine

Hey guys,

I'm just about done with my rebuild of my suspension/whole driveline.
    The car has been sitting for over a month now, maybe close to two.

So, I wanted to start it today. First time cranking it, battery was completely dead. After charging it a bit, I started cranking over the engine without the ignition coil plugged in to build up some oil pressure, 4 times 10-20seconds. The oil pressure light was still on..
    However the battery started to lose it power as well, it's currently back on the charger.

How long should I need to crank the engine? I can't remember how long I had to crank it when I redid my cylinder head..

I've also did some googling and came across a post saying to prime the system by the oil pump shaft (removing the aluminium plug under the intake) and using an electric drill to spin the shaft of the pump.

The guy who made the post stated to spin it clockwise, would this mean I have to spin it counter clockwise as the pump turns around different on an iX? Hoping some of you guys might have done it this way before..

Thanks!
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

yes, you should spin it counterclockwise. if you pull the gear out, you can get to the end of the shaft, it's a standard hex size.
    cars beep boop

Comment

Just used this method; worked great!
      Although it did took a while to get oil squirting out of the little tube on the cylinder head. :)
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
      X