Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
    Nice thread and great progress.
    Thanks, Toby. Hoping to drive this car for a few decades, budget willing ;)
    1987 325i cirrusblau "Beatrix" Let Me Tell You About My e30
    1990 Golf etwas rot "Rosalie" SCRAP
    1991 Golf etwas silber "Silvia"

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars
    ...and you guys are way too into "mast lube & polishing" :)

Comment

Small Projects Update

Completed a few small improvements since last update. Still need to do that timing belt I have all the stuff for :down:

First off I bought a refurbished AFM from Bavarian Restorations. Really improved the smoothness of idle and acceleration. Normally I don't like replacing a German part with a French one but, in this case, I think it is warranted:

Remembered to plug it back in this time :rofl::

Beatrix has been having this rough idle/lost power (until thoroughly warm) condition after a full day+ of rain. I didn't expect the AFM to fix it although it improved it a little bit.

After running the car in a dark shop while spraying the ignition system with water - sparks galore - I bought new everything apart from wires (trying to save a little $$). I replaced all of that two years ago. I did invest in some dielectric grease, which I put EVERYWHERE.

Errant spark aside, these plugs were toast:

Still took longer than expected to install the parts, but I only took off the coolant reservoir (old style, I think new is on other side of bay) and the mechanical fan using these tools (plus not pictured 3/8" ratchet):

One can substitute an 8mm 1/4" drive socket and ratchet for the little ratcheting wrench. I couldn't find one - these mechanics are slobs - which is part of what took so long. IIRC the 32mm was like 10 bucks from BavAuto.

The front spoiler has been off the car since a parking stop claimed it last year. I tried welding it back together with a butane soldering iron. Seemed to be going really well:

Until one part re-broke an hour in This plastic doesn't like to melt back together. Not wanting to dish out money for a replacement, but wanting to put it back on until I find something sportier, I did what I do best: Jerry-rigged it with stainless and pop rivets ;D:

It fits really well and snug, surprisingly. I still need to paint and reinstall it but I've got new body clips and some stainless screws to mount it with.

When I first got the car, I replaced the inside driver door handle with a Uro one (didn't know any better) but the finish never satisfied and I didn't have a good trim piece for it. Got both off Steve at Ultimate Garage in NJ for a steal, so I did that too.

Before:

Much better:

Comment

So finally did some things, including an important thing. But first the non-essentials.

I procured and put in one of those Innovative Goods wiper relays. I really enjoy being able to set the intermittent interval for those light rains we get here. Installation was a breeze, although one end of the cover from the original relay didn't snap around the board like everywhere else - no big deal.

I also eventually painted and reinstalled my Frankenstein'd spoiler/airdam. Didn't take any pics in the past couple weeks - keep forgetting when it's not raining.

FINALLY replaced the timing belt. Of course put a new water pump, tensioner, spring, plus cam seal and o-ring on while I was in there.

I was kind of upset to find this stamped gear in there:

As well as the alternator tensioner being worn out/torn up in a spot:

Luckily the new accessory belt I put on it was long enough it tensioned up just past those broken teeth.

Anyone wanna weigh in on opening it back up to replace the stamped gear ahead of the next timing belt? For $35 new or less, if someone has one they wanna sell me? ;D;D, and a few hours of work, it seems like cheap insurance to me. Maybe the ever-rustier stamped gear isn't such a big deal?

Anywho, while I was in there I replaced these worn out motor mounts:

with nice, new Condor mounts. Wow, there is a big difference between Shore A durometer hardness and Shore D hardness. I'm familiar with the former from my work and erroneously based my selection on that knowledge. They have a handy chart in their FAQ section I wish I'd seen before I ordered them (along with trans mounts).

So after driving around in a vibrator for a week (it was a pleasurable week ;)), I installed a set of the HD OEM mounts from Garagistic for a much quieter, smoother ride. Still need to get around to installing the trans mounts.

Has anyone run the trans mounts with AND without the aluminum cups? I know they're for isolating the mounts to axial movement, just wanna get an idea how effective they may be.

Comment

That's interesting the UHMV were so bad for you. My car feels just fine with the Condor motor mounts in there. I was so worried because so many people say it's awful, but honestly it was a great improvement for me.

Comment

How do you find it to be an improvement? Apart from motor travel, of course. Like more power?

It wasn't bad under way, tbh, just seemed to exacerbate any rough idle and taking off from a stop felt/sounded rough. Maybe I'm just shit at driving :P Plus my subframe is not yet reinforced, so I worried about that some too.

Comment

Much Needed Update - Not Totally Lazy

Long time since an update but I do have some advancements to report. All this transpired between November last year and now.

Installed M3 CABs. I'm sure the pic suggests it was a huge improvement:

Found out my front right caliper was sticking and needed replaced. I've always wanted a nice looking pair of good calipers and, since it's my daily, needed some time to make that happen. Bought a used pair of calipers:

Cleaned them up in a bead blasting cabinet a mechanic at work gave to me and painted with por15 high-temp spray paint, which I found out you have to bake at 400degF for 2hrs. Enter $12 toaster oven from Goodwill:

After buying TRW seal kit and guide repair kits from ECS, I realized I also needed pistons. The calipers were seized when I rec'd them, even though the seller said they were free moving. Oh well. Spent ages looking for the 48mm pistons for Girling calipers to find them only on UK Ebay from BiggRed. They had a listing for just pistons but it was only a few dollars less and I figured extra seals were a good idea.

After a couple weeks of waiting for parts and cleaning up old ones, I ended up with these:

I ended up using the guide pin seals from the BiggRed kit (left) because they looked a little cleaner than the TRW ones (right):

Basically, if you need pistons, I would recommend the BiggRed kit, unless you need the guide pins too.

On the car:

I did the sway bar end links while I was in there 'cause these definitely weren't doing great things:

Still need to do a valve adjustment and I'm hoping to get some better (stiffer) springs and shocks on the car. Oh, also found some ice cream in the reservoir, so I guess a headgasket is in my future with a new intermediate gear, while I'm in there.

I suppose I'll give the old calipers the same treatment too, so they're ready to go for next time.
              Last edited by alkkamai; 07-02-2019, 09:49 AM. Reason: playing with pics

Comment

great work - SUB'D
                I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Nice to see you giving it a proper going-over.
                  Also those brackets with the teeth are easily replaced.
                  I do things.

Comment

Sir those calipers look amazing. It's nice to see some quality work around here!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      great work - SUB'D
                      Originally posted by Melon View Post
                      Nice to see you giving it a proper going-over.
                      Also those brackets with the teeth are easily replaced.
                      10-4. I've got a replacement now, just need to do the dang thing.

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                      Sir those calipers look amazing. It's nice to see some quality work around here!
                      Thanks for all the kind words, fellas! A little encouragement is a real motivation booster. Plus you've reminded me to update this ol' thread.

First off, I can't yet recommend the POR15 High Temp spray paint: those beautiful calipers were rusting through it within a couple months. At this point they look just like the "before" pictures :roll:

Secondly, I did get around to that valve adjustment not long after the previous update. I managed to recharge the AC just before the hot weather really hit. I have yet to verify it has been properly converted to 134, but that is what's been in it since I bought her. I also got and installed a red46 skid plate in preparation for the mild drop the forthcoming suspension refresh will afford. They're just Sports but I get nervous and I'm told Baltimore has some of the worst roads anywhere ever.

Finally, I've been collecting some parts of late. I was trying to do a suspension refresh over Memorial Day weekend but didn't get things together in time. In stock, in no particular order:
                      • 2nd Subframe - slated for cleaning, reinforcing, adjustment plates, and painting
                      • Bushings, all Lemfoerder - subframe, RTAB, diff
                      • Speed sensor retainer plate & bolts
                      • Diff mounting hardware
                      • Diff plugs & fluid
                      • H&R Sport Springs
                      • Bilstein B8's (lightly used) & new hardware
                      • Rear spring pads (lightly used)
                      • Shock mounts, gaskets, & hardware
                      • Strut mounts
                      • IE Street Adjustable camber plates
                      • Strut bump stops
                      • All soft brake lines
                      • New clips for above
                      • Refurbished and rebalanced driveshaft
                      • New CSB and hardware

I think that's it.

Still need to get a new brake line T and either lines or verify my father has the stuff to make the correct lines. The one from the T to the first soft line on the passenger side exploded the other day. It is currently a three-legged dog, as we call 'em. Beatrix is telling me to hurry tf up with this work so she can be fit and nimble as in her younger years.

Once I get off my ass and sandblast the subframe, have a colleague weld it, and paint it up, I'll have a long, frustrating weekend ahead of me. Oh, and my first drive in an e30 with proper handling! I'm beyond excited for that.
                      Last edited by alkkamai; 07-02-2019, 09:55 AM. Reason: r3v hates umlauts, apparently & adding items

Comment

Working...
                      X