Removing fuel pump pulse damper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing fuel pump pulse damper?

Has anyone removed the fuel pump damper located near the fuel pump under the car? Mine is rusted out and I want to get rid of it. My car is 86 325es. What connector can I use in it's place? I am talking about part #20 in the parts diagram below:

For research: https://injector-rehab.com/shop/fpd.html

I have heard of people removing them without issue. What is interesting is the placement of the Fuel Pulsation Damper (FPD) in the parts diagram. If the FPDs are used to smooth out pulsations, it appears to be smoothing out the pulsations to the high pressure pump, suggesting that the in-tank pump could create pulsations?

I have an 86 325e and I have not removed mine. I also run a high pressure pump in the tank and inline at the moment. I am planning on removing the inline high pressure pump and may remove this unit as well.

Comment

Yeah, it's totally silly, and BMW did a terrible job setting up the fuel system for pre-facelift cars. When in doubt, trash the lift pump, under car pump (and other crap), nutty engine bay fuel line routing and simply run a high pressure pump in tank with a fuel filter where the under car pump was, along with new soft line to bridge odd sized connections.

Comment

I have removed the dampers from all of my early cars with no ill effects.

Replace the section of rubber fuel line the damper was located in with new hose. Better yet - replace all the rubber fuel lines and sleep better at night.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Working...
        X