No announcement yet.

1989 325ix Dinan Turbo stablemate for my 1988 E24 M6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool. That is a very Dinan car for sure.

Thanks!

Ditch those wheels. Keep it old school and original. Unless you go NOS/period correct.

The wheels in the video just don't look good IMHO.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
      Very cool. That is a very Dinan car for sure.

Thanks!

Ditch those wheels. Keep it old school and original. Unless you go NOS/period correct.

The wheels in the video just don't look good IMHO.
      Thank you.

I do have the original fcatory 15” basket wheels. Two of the BMW center logo caps have yellowed on the two wheels that were stored on top. Those can be easily changed. I think the tires may be the originals or really old. They are UNIROYAL ralye 205/55/15 tires. They look almost new hold air and free of cracks, but really hard rubber and naturally not safe to use. I had checked the date code on them before but don’t recall if I had seen 1988/89 or 1991. I can transer the new Dunlop tires on the Ronal’s to these original wheels. That will probably be the last thing I decide on after I have the car back.

Max
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Max325ix; 01-10-2019, 07:58 AM.

Comment

I'd leave the Ronals man, they are nice wheels. Period correct and also NLA for a while now.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

During testing we learned that a new Throttle Position Sensor is needed. The mixture was set rich to keep idle up. New OEM unit should arrive Thursday 17th.

I may also source a spare nearly new Transfercase. Don’t need one as unit in car is running prefectly but understand this is an issue to find when needed thus figure maybe a good idea to grab it.

More coming soon.

Max

Update ***. New correct OEM Bosch TPS unit arrived yesterday evening. Most places had it on backorder or showing one in stock but after placing the order I’d get contacted letting me know it was BO. Hope to have more updates though or after the weekend.
          Last edited by Max325ix; 01-18-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Replace,ent fuse box is incorrect unit

Turns out the fuse box I bought from ECS Nov 2016 is the incorrect unit. Not blaming ECS as it appears Real OEM and other places list the part I bought as the one that supersedes the original. My car has the ellipsoid head lights and I believe that changes things. I do not know which exact part number matches my fuse box in the ix as it no longer has legible part numbers so need to go with what info I find out there on the web. Using my VIN for reference in searches did not help.
            The part I bought from ECS is 61131370763 which fits most E30's.
            The part I believe I need is NLA 61131370761 which shows as a Euro fuse box.

My Canadian spec 88 E24 M6 has a fuse box with label part number 61131386386 which Real OEM also lists as NLA and are also showing the same part I bought ending with the 1169 as its replacement. My M6 also has the ellipsoid headlights and its fuse box should work on my ix E30. That new part Real OEM shows would not work on my M6 either.

Now I’m going to have to spend stupid money on some NLA fuse box from some special place or person if I can find one as I do not wish to modify anything.

The attached images are of the original box from the ix. Note the circled area with a five pin connector for the relay. All the newer parts come with a 4 hole pin connector in that same place. If anyone has any in put it would be greatly appropriated.

Also ordering new control arm bushings as ones on the car could use replacing.

Thanks

Max
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Max325ix; 01-21-2019, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Back side of current fuse box

Here is the back side of the current fuse box needing replacement
              Attached Files

Comment

Fuse Box Update

Looks like I found it.

Fuse Box Part # 61131370761 will also not work.

The same part # as the unit on my M6 is exactly what I needed for the ix.

M6 has Fuse Box part # 61131386386
                I found a matching used one on eBay and the pictures matched the 5 pin connectors I was looking for. It showed a cross reference of 61131386387 which I found on ECS by part number but wont show up on a search by fuse boxes.

Ordered for delivery Firday 25th.

Max

Comment

Is the PCB different in the ix? I had no idea. I guess I'll make sure I don't throw out the fuse box from my old parts car..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Which relay is it and what does it do?

Comment

Originally posted by Max325ix View Post
                      Turns out the fuse box I bought from ECS Nov 2016 is the incorrect unit. Not blaming ECS as it appears Real OEM and other places list the part I bought as the one that supersedes the original. My car has the ellipsoid head lights and I believe that changes things. I do not know which exact part number matches my fuse box in the ix as it no longer has legible part numbers so need to go with what info I find out there on the web. Using my VIN for reference in searches did not help.
                      The part I bought from ECS is 61131370763 which fits most E30's.
                      The part I believe I need is NLA 61131370761 which shows as a Euro fuse box.

My Canadian spec 88 E24 M6 has a fuse box with label part number 61131386386 which Real OEM also lists as NLA and are also showing the same part I bought ending with the 1169 as its replacement. My M6 also has the ellipsoid headlights and its fuse box should work on my ix E30. That new part Real OEM shows would not work on my M6 either.

Now I’m going to have to spend stupid money on some NLA fuse box from some special place or person if I can find one as I do not wish to modify anything.

The attached images are of the original box from the ix. Note the circled area with a five pin connector for the relay. All the newer parts come with a 4 hole pin connector in that same place. If anyone has any in put it would be greatly appropriated.

Also ordering new control arm bushings as ones on the car could use replacing.

Thanks

Max
                      I replaced my 91 fuse box with an 89 one, essentially the exact opposite of what you have available to you. And the only thing that is different is the one relay. But they use the exact same number and colors of wires. So your replacement one will work fine if it is installed properly.

The PO of my 91 325i hacked up a lot of things that put undo strain on my fuse box(the pcb was getting so hot it was melting the solder off of it)which caused my car to have intermittent electrical issues. So I replaced it. And I happened at that time to have an 89 325ix fuse box on hand from a rusted out 5 speed donor.

I posted a little about it here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...93773&page=362 If you have any questions let me know, I will try to help you if I can. But look at the wiring diagrams it is a simple job, just takes a while.
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        Is the PCB different in the ix? I had no idea. I guess I'll make sure I don't throw out the fuse box from my old parts car..
                        Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        Which relay is it and what does it do?
                        The pcb is not different between the ix and the standard rwd E30. But the pcb is different pertaining to the year of the vehicles.

At some point BMW "updated" the pcb color(red to green)and headlight relay from a four pole relay to a five pole relay. That is it. There is nothing else different.

If you look at the wiring diagrams for the headlights between 89 and earlier and compare them with 90 and later you will see the difference between them.
                        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Update on fuse box.

Ok. So here’s the final update on the fuse box. After some research I ended up finding the appropriate fuse box and able to source it via ECStunning. What wired is that when you search ECS’s site for fuse box specific to the E30 this replacement part for the red board type never shows up but if you put in the specific part number it displays.
                          The part that replaces the red board type fuse box is 61131386387. The board is bot red or green but beige. It was also less costly than the first box I purchased and for those needing red board replacements it is new vs sourcing a used one or needing to rewire to accomodate the five pin relay slots.

For those that asked what the two 5 pin relay slots are for, its is the headlights and fog lights. My car has the elipsoid lights.

Max
                          Attached Files

Comment

Fuse box update

Here is the back side.

Red board is the original. Beige is the good replacement.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Front struts

I decided to bite the bullet again on taking apart the front struts.
                              Originally I was undecided on having the Bilstien struts and shocks refurbished/rebuilt or replacing for new. Rrason for considering rebuilding by Bilstein was in case Dinan had them revlaved yhus wanting to keep it original and true to how Dinan had set up the car. When told it would take 11 weeks I had decided to order new performance Bilstein’s and figured I’d keep the set on the car for future consideration. Well, that plan never turned out well as it was around the time Bilstein had the rediculas back order. Shown delivery on 12 days we dismantled everything. Only the rear shocks arrived. After a few months of waiting and no ETA in site, it was decided to install the new rear shocks and put back the existing front struts. That never sat well with me or Steve so now that they were no longer on backorder I sourced new matching front struts. So Steve will be taking them out for the second time :(.

Max

Comment

I have a pair of ACS shocks I had in mind to be reconditioned to original specs... the price seems reasonable but you are saying the backorder is how long?
                                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
                                X