S52 Swapped E30 Driveshaft Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 Swapped E30 Driveshaft Problem

I own an S52 swapped E30. The prior owner did some things well and cheaped out on others. When I bought the car, it had an E30 driveshaft and the Revshift guibo. Around 2000-2500 RPM on downshifts vibration occurred and a tweedling sound under the car (I assume an unhappy CSB). Now, over 1 year later, the vibration is getting getting worse. I have to assume the guibo and CSB are shot. My questions are as follows
    1) Can I replace the guibo with an OEM or BMW guibo and a new CSB and keep the current E30 driveshaft - yes, I am thinking of cheaping out as a 1998 328i driveshaft is $650 with no core charge benefit since they're not the same.
    2) What am I risking by not converting to an E36 driveshaft with an E30 CSB and an OEM style guibo.

I know there has been a lot of threads on the recommended setup - I'm looking for advice from those who may have tried everything. Thanks in advance. Frank.

There's more to a driveshaft than the guibo and CSB. There are u joints to consider as well. I think it comes down to what you have access to at a reasonable price. I see later e36 driveshafts for sale all the time for $100-150 on CL. There are more of them at the yards these days vs E30's. Then you can run an OEM big flange rubber guibo as well.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

The most common cause of CSB failure on e30's is stiff U-joints. When you have the shaft out check to make sure you can move the u-joints freely. What transmission are you running? That effects which driveshaft you need. You should also check your driveshaft alignment while you are at it, if it is off you can chew up your guibo pretty quick.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Originally posted by Frank096 View Post
        I own an S52 swapped E30. The prior owner did some things well and cheaped out on others. When I bought the car, it had an E30 driveshaft and the Revshift guibo. Around 2000-2500 RPM on downshifts vibration occurred and a tweedling sound under the car (I assume an unhappy CSB). Now, over 1 year later, the vibration is getting getting worse. I have to assume the guibo and CSB are shot. My questions are as follows

1) Can I replace the guibo with an OEM or BMW guibo and a new CSB and keep the current E30 driveshaft - yes, I am thinking of cheaping out as a 1998 328i driveshaft is $650 with no core charge benefit since they're not the same.

2) What am I risking by not converting to an E36 driveshaft with an E30 CSB and an OEM style guibo.

I know there has been a lot of threads on the recommended setup - I'm looking for advice from those who may have tried everything. Thanks in advance. Frank.

1. Only works if you cut the head off your current driveshaft and have a bigger one welded on balanced etc. doesn’t sound like something easy or cheap for you to do

2. You will just continue to enjoy fantastic friendly vibrations

3. Get the Oem part and bolt
        It in done. E36 zf driveshaft, new center bearing and new guibo. Genuine Bmw > aftermarket
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
        X