No announcement yet.

Value: Bone Stock vs Modified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW wasn't using 'E' designations when they made the 2002, there's no such thing as an E10.

and yeah, unless you've got a dedicated track car and it matters if you win or not - I don't understand wanting a 'slicktop' in the first place (ugh, now I gotta wash my keyboard). It's like wanting a 316i with crank windows, no A/C and an AM radio..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think its more of an annoying thing... E9 is a thing, but E10 is wrong?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        BMW wasn't using 'E' designations when they made the 2002, there's no such thing as an E10.

and yeah, unless you've got a dedicated track car and it matters if you win or not - I don't understand wanting a 'slicktop' in the first place (ugh, now I gotta wash my keyboard). It's like wanting a 316i with crank windows, no A/C and an AM radio..

Headroom. It makes a difference.

Comment

Just curious: when did the 2002 start being referred to as an 'E10'? I guess I've been in the dark for the 30 years since I last owned a 2002, so please pardon my old-timer ignorance. I bought my first 2002 new in late 1972, and until I bought my latest (another '72) last year, I hadn't heard of ...

Comment

For certain cars, collectors want as close to as stock car as possible with original paint and numbers matching etc.. but that limited to the blue chip cars, the 325is, 318is, Mtech cars with a stick. Those will always be worth the premium. and more of a premium as they get snatched up and become rarer. The more modded the less they are worth.

For everything else, 4 doors, automatics, most non-sport cars, they are worth whatever condition they are in. I would imagine that lightly modded or unmodded makes little to know difference as people who are buying them are going to drive them and the mods would hopefully make that more fun.

Heavily modded cars are only worth it to the right person who shares your vision or if the car is very well done. To every one else the mods are just something that needs to be fixed/done over/a hassle to take on. They may be worth more but to a much smaller market. This also plays into trendy irreversible mods like pandem kits and stuff like that. They are in style now but what happens when they aren't?

At the end of the day, who cares what its worth if you never intend on selling. Also, just enjoy and drive your car. Why save it for the next person? As long as you can afford the loss in value do whatever the hell you want to it and put as many miles on it as you want. I have a friend that always buys supercars but then wont drive them because he cant afford to loose the money on trade in if he puts more than like 5000miles a year on it... at that point does he even own the car.
            e30sport.net
            '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
            '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
            '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

I agree Beir, and I agree with those that say “does it matter?”.

My personal opinion is that the M20b25/manual transmission is plenty satisfying to drive every day and I don’t think I would ever entertain a swap. A good engine and a well maintained chassis is worth plenty.
              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
              X