Blower motor install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blower motor install

My current blower motor is seized. (Car sat for 2 years). There is NO room to pull the motor in and out, and I broke a few blades when installing the new one. I currently get a vibration noise with the new assembly. I'm assuming it's because if the broken blades. 1) Is there a way to sway out fan cages.. as the old motor has good fan cages. 2) Is there a way to install the motor without breaking the fan? Do you need to remove the intake manifold?
    1990 M3
    1991 325iX
    1991 M5
    1999 M3C
    2003 M5
    2012 X5 35d

Which car are you talking about? On the M3 it's not a problem but if you have a 6 cylinder especially a 24V engine then it's harder. Probably have to pull the manifold with a 24v swap.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

what motor? no need to remove intake. its takes some shimmying to squeeze it in there, i had no problem getting mine in without breaking any of the blades. what brand blower motor?

Comment

If you have a 6cyl, it's easier to pull the manifold. Honestly, I still insist swapping out the wiper transmission is easier than the blower motor, at least on a late E30 with a 6cyl. There is no way you're getting the fan in there without damaging it.

As far as swapping cages, sure, maybe - but you have to get the orientation & balance just right. In any case it might be worth trying because the new motor will burn out quickly from being out of balance.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I never had a problem changing the blower motor with the stock M20 engine. It's tight but doable if the weatherstrips and wiring in the area is secured out of the way.

The M52 swapped car was a bit more of a pain in the azz, but I did that with removing the beauty covers and some small items on the top of the engine.

The biggest pain was reinstalling that metal clip that holds the motor in the housing.

The E30 collection:
          1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
          1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
          1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
          1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
          1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
          1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
          1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
          2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
          2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

"Doable", sure, but I did it twice - first time damaged the cages because the opening is just not big enough. second time I removed the intake manifold and it took half as long.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              "Doable", sure, but I did it twice - first time damaged the cages because the opening is just not big enough. second time I removed the intake manifold and it took half as long.
              Concur, if installing a new unit maybe it could squeeze in, but if a used unit I'd remove the manifold to prevent breakage.

You can also preheat the fan to make it more pliable and less prone to breakage.

Comment

Working...
              X