Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    The wiring is really super-easy. I haven't done it for the M50 yet, but did it for the M42 swap into this car (originally M10). Just takes a couple hours and looking at (widely available) resources to match colors.

There is a lot of e30 rally resources out there, with dozens of them running in the US. If you're on facebook check out "dirty e-thirties" page and "BMW gravel rallying" page and make sure you do a thread on here and we'll be sure to chime in.
    Thanks, I joined those groups and I'm now following you on FB and Instagram. I'll start a thread on here when I get going, it'll be bodywork then cage first. Probably won't be easy to source a cage up here but I have a few ideas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

Comment

Originally posted by 89_325i View Post
      Thanks, I joined those groups and I'm now following you on FB and Instagram. I'll start a thread on here when I get going, it'll be bodywork then cage first. Probably won't be easy to source a cage up here but I have a few ideas.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      post about the cage on the BMW gravel rallying page. There are several Canadians in there that will know where to get a cage done right.
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

(recap of WMWR a few posts above this!)

oh also, after unloading and unpacking, got back to the M50...

rebuilt the PS pump, and put most of the accessories on..

I have until the end of March to get the M42 out, do some upgrades to the engine bay area, and get this drivetrain in..
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post

Loaded up the next morning to head home, with some dirty vehicles..
          R2U (Group 2) class winning BMW 318i (2nd overall) at 2019 Waste Management Winter Rallysprint (SCCA). This was the 4th stage, with a combination of melting ...

And will post more interesting photos/vids as they become available.
          This is excellent! Congrats! I loved the in car vid, looked like a lot of fun.
          "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

Comment

got a few little parts in today and ordered up an early e36 325i airbox/filter that should be a good fit for this swap (the e34 one doesn't seem like it will fit, and the M42 one has the wrong shape of opening for the MAF assembly).

One thing I got in is an oil filter adaptor to let me run both the stock oil pressure warning switch and an aftermarket (VDO) sender, which will come off the M42 when I pull it. I find it kind of interesting that the M42 oil filter assembly has ports on both sides, allowing BOTH of these to be fitted with no modification, but the M50 doesn't. Oh well...

it fits pretty well, but I'll have to see what the clearances look like with the larger VDO sender on it, once it's off the M42

Also got in a new e30 coolant temp sensor, which replaces the 2nd sensor on the M50 (uses different impedence). Damn my hands are tore up from the sub-freezing weekend and lots of greasy engine scrubbing.....

Also, looks like the Dirty Industries boys are going to buy my parts shell, as their beat-up e30 is apparently "breaking in half" and this one is rust-free. I had gotten this car to have spare body panels, so part of teh deal is that they'll give me the hood and fenders and doors from their old car when they take this one (plus I'll keep the windshield). That way I should have spares, and not have a whole car taking up my single backyard garage bay.

Last edited by irish44j; 02-19-2019, 06:48 PM.
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Keeping updates coming, while I'm motivated :)

Today we got some snow, and the roads were a mess so my office was closed. So I had a day with no plans and nothing to do. So after a quick cleanup of the garage to make room to get the e30 in one bay next week, got back to the engine.

First I had to take a quick drive to pick up a couple little things. It's odd being out at 10am and seeing nobody on the usually-crowded route that I commute on..

Since I'm deleting the throttle-body preheater and the charcoal canister system, had to plug up all the ports on the TB, and then cross-splice the hose from the head to the "spider hose" that normally would go to the TB. Home Depot provided some barbed elbows that were a good fit.

Also replaced the short fuel injection hoses from each end of the fuel rail, with new clamps, just to be safe. Leaky fuel is no fun and these are easy to get to with the engine on a stand.

Also got the e30 coolant temp sensor in from FCP and installed it to replace the M50 piece, which has the wrong impedence for the VDO gauge I'm using.

off-topic - reminder I'm using the G240 from the M42 for this swap. As you can see from the bellhousing dust plates from my spare M42 and the M50, they are exactly the same pattern, other than a small cutout in the starter area (which I won't need)

Then went around and checked torques of stuff, including the big crank bolt. It takes around 300 ft-lbs, and without a torque wrench that goes that high, had to do a quick calculation using my weight on a cheater pipe to get it right.

And just like that, the front of the engine is pretty much done.

Oh, also removed the A/C pulley since I have no need for it. Made sure to add a couple washers to the bolts to compensate for the missing pulley thickness.

Next up, thinkig about how I'm going to run the wiring in the e30. The M50 harness is larger and the firewall grommet/seal piece is much larger than an e30's opening. So made up a template that I can use to cut out the correct size hole for the harness.

After 2 weeks waiting for my VANOS sprocket tool to come in, it once again got delayed for some reason. Screw it, time to do this without it, by using some long, curved-tip needlenose pliars in its place.

So, VANOS assembly off the car, needing some cleanup.

here's the "plunger" in the cyinder. These have a double-seal ring on them - a rubber o-ring below a teflon ring seal. Cleaned stuff up, installed new items. The VANOS had good resistance so probably was working fine, but this is preventative since it's easy to do while I have everything taken apart anyhow.

Once that was done and everything put back together, I could finally put the valve cover, new gaskets, etc etc back on the car. Also threw all the covers on, though I'm not totally done in there - I want to replace the coil boots before I button everything up. Set of 6 Denso boots on RockAuto for $35....on the way.

Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

And on and on we go. I hadn't planned to, but today's weather was amazing after the snow yesterday. By the time I got home all the snow had melted and the cars were dry, so I pulled the Porsche out of the way (It will get some miles this weekend) and took the rally car around the neighborhood once for its final drive as a 4-cylinder. Came back, stuck it in one of the garage bays, and got started....

First order of business was to drain the coolant, oil, power steering fluid, and unhook the fuel lines. Needless to say, my garage reeked after that. Somehow managed to do it all without too much spillage..

Minor note on this pic: I'm going to have to cut my skidplate brace bar out, since it's too close to the M50 pan. I will try to cut it flush and just move it forward 3-4". We'll see when the time comes.

Then just started taking things apart. I sprayed out the engine the other day so while it's kind of dirty, it's not muddy or anything. So far have the whole cooling system out, harness unhooked from the car, power steering pump unhooked, etc.

Of note, now I am finding all of the half-assed things I did over the past 8-9 years of adding to this car - in particular my haphazard wiring for things like lights, gauges/senders, electric fan override, etc etc. Wires all over the place with not much rhyme or reason. As this engine goes in I will clean up that stuff quite a bit.

Since I run all VDO gauges and no stock cluster, the M42 is full of VDO senders for oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, etc. These all have to go over to the M50 so my gauges still work. Here's the oil temp sensor + dual oil pressure (with dummy light hookup) mounted on the filter housing adaptor.

After some messing around with different positioning, I ended up mounting it like this, which has the best clearance and access for everything. Photo is from the front of the engine looking over the oil filter assembly

While at it, I spliced in the stock dummy light wire to the second VDO port so that will still work (saved our ass at NEFR). And ran a wire for the coolant temp sensor (which I can't get off the M42 until it's out of thee car and/or I pull the IM off). I'm wrapping them all up in their own mini-loom that will have a 4-wire hookup plug at the back fo the engine to link into the car.

So at this point pretty much everything forward of the firewall is unhooked. Just have to do all the stuff under the car now (exhaust, driveshaft, shift linkage) plus the heater hoses and the engine will be ready to be pulled out.

Once out, the plan is to take a week and clean everything up, cut off some old/useless brackets (like the mount for the M42 coil pack), reinforce the subframe mount areas further, and do more wiring cleanup. Still trying to find a good Porsche 944 brake booster after my mission to get one last weekend didn't succeed. Looks like I have a line on a M20 driveshaft that should work, so mostly just need shifter linkage stuff and eventually exhaust.
                Track/street e21 build
                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Thoughts on the 944 brake booster vs say the VW jetta brake booster?
                  1990 325is
                  m52b28
                  3.73lsd
                  g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                    Thoughts on the 944 brake booster vs say the VW jetta brake booster?
                    I have no idea. Does a Jetta booster fit too? If so, might be a good option, probably a lot cheaper new. I have 944 friends, so not real hard to get the 944 booster for cheap/used. So yeah, I apparently have no thoughts on it at all haha...throw me some knowledge!

-----

So, let's keep going on this now that we've gotten started. I have total automotive OCD (plus no other projects and apparently no social life in the winter). So got home from work around 4pm today and by 7pm, this happened:

Ok, let's back up a little bit. Actually before that happened, I got home and had a package waiting for me.....the "eBay China Special" headers. I mocked them up real quick and looks like I will have to bore out a couple of the holes a little bit - I had heard that these often have the bolt holes a little bit. I don't foresee it being a big issue, will get around to it. Otherwise, the welds look a lot cleaner and better than the pics on ebay showed, so that's a plus. But hey, for the $65 shipped I paid for them, they're pretty nice lol

Ok, before pulling the engine had to do all the "underneath" work - unbolt the driveshaft and CSB (not a problem other than lots of dirt falling in my face the whole time.....because rally car). Since I had the exhaust off last summer the bolts came off easily, which was nice, forwaffles a change. Then got to the trans. The bitch clip turned out to be a major bitch, as usual. MFer...

Aside from that, the one thing I was worried about was getting the trans brace unbolted. I reinforced it a couple years ago and added extensions for a second bolt on each side. Those came off fine since they are accessible from inside the car. But the OEM bolts (the little carriage-style square-head bolts that slide in the inset rails) weren't having it. Rusty, muddy, they were not interested in coming off. After cleaning, PB plaster, and heat managed to get them a bit loose but the channel on this car was already banged up and the notch on the bolts just wouldn't bite, even when prying them down. Well damn. Unbolted the transwaffles mounts and figured I'd just yank the engine forward to clear (benefits of a little M42).waffles

much dirtiness

After doing that and detaching the heater hoses, and doing a quick check for any forgotten ground straps or other crap, I pulled it. Not too bad, though one person and inside a fairly crowded garage makes for some interesting maneuvering. Incidentally, two of the bolts holding the hood to the hinges snapped. guess water is getting inside the hood and getting them rusty. Will have to correct that issue when i put it back on.

And, out it came with no major issues...

Since I'm re-using the G240 and the M20 clutch stuff, I took that off the engine before putting it out of the way

Notably, the throwout bearing was pretty gritty. Clearly a lot of dust gets in there in rally. I may look into putting some dust shields on the transmission "hole" at the bottom.waffles

The M20 clutch, which I put in like 6-7 years ago, looks damn near new. Something to be said for a low-power engine and I'm pretty clutch-friendly on my cars it seems. Will put in a new shaft bearing, and I have a new 320i TOB to go in. You may notice the FW is not milled. On the M42 I just ground down the two bolt surrounds on the back of the oil pan so it would clear. I'll probably do the same on the M50 since it looks exactly the same.

What else, what else...

With the M42 out I could finally get a hand down behind the IM to get my VDO coolant temp sender out (it's tighter than it looks in this pic). So that will go into the M50 as well. Not sure why I ordered a stock e30 one for that, since I obviously don't use the stock gauge cluster. Doh.

The urethane transmission bushings I put on the car like 8 years ago were still holding up but starting to split a bit. Doesn't matter either way, I have new stuff from my friends at Condor Speed Shop for that...

In case you care for some reason, here's how I reinforced the trans crossmember​​​​​​​ years ago..

Then did some cleaning up since it was starting to get hard to find tools and/or walk around in the mess...

So there we go, for now.

Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

nice update!

I have the Jetta brake booster. Not real sure of a difference either.

I think I have those same headers, bought from Speed Daddy off of eBay. You will need to either clearance the cross-member or the headers themselves. At least that's what I had to do.
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd
                      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I had issues with my bitch clip and the main reason it was such a pain was how tight it fit in the holes on the two ears on the transmission. I took a round file and filed out the holes diameter just slightly and I have never had an issue with it since in the last 50k+ miles.
                        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                          nice update!

I have the Jetta brake booster. Not real sure of a difference either.

I think I have those same headers, bought from Speed Daddy off of eBay. You will need to either clearance the cross-member or the headers themselves. At least that's what I had to do.
                          Yep, that's what I've read so I'm expecting to have to do so. I'd go with the treehouse bushings, but want to keep the offset M3 ones I have.

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                          I had issues with my bitch clip and the main reason it was such a pain was how tight it fit in the holes on the two ears on the transmission. I took a round file and filed out the holes diameter just slightly and I have never had an issue with it since in the last 50k+ miles.
                          good thought! I think I'll have to do that.
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

It was a nice day today, so I rolled the car out, hit the entire engine bay with Simple Green, and washed it out as well as possible. Not that I'm looking to make this a car-show engine bay or anything, but I may do a quick repaint since right now it's a mix of whatever spray paint colors I had around at any given time...

Also pulled off the rear part of the exhaust. Looks like it's been through World War 3.....this is the original exhaust from the car, or at least what's left of it. I've mended, plated, fixed it over the years of beating it's taken. And the Magnaflow muffler finally rusted through and got punched out at WMWR (no wonder the car was so loud, lol).

Got in some new coil boots to replace the oily ones that came out of the e34. While installing them, I decided to add some ground wires daisy-chained between the coils. They have two ground straps to the valve cover but more grounds is never a bad thing for something like coils. Especially since these are likely the original coils and probably need all the help they can get.

did a few other largely uninteresting things, and talked to Jim on the phone, who managed to find an M20 shift rod and carrier in his basement stash-o-parts. So, that's one less thing I need to find. At the point I'm down to needing:

- M20 driveshaft
                            - some kind of exhaust setup
                            - electric pusher fan for the radiator. I know I can get my Spal puller in there, but it's gonna be awfully close to the front of the engine and I'd just as well have a bit of cushion up there.

Cleaned up, came in to watch some TV and prep the e34's chassis-side X20 connector to be spliced into my original M10 C101 (the old square-style one), which was already spliced into the M42 C101. Should be pretty easy, just another thing.

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

things accomplished this evening:
                              - driveshaft fully removed (much dirt all over me)
                              - finished building the new wiring connector from the original c101 to the M50's x20.
                              - cleaned up and repainted the transmission brace
                              - unbolted the brake m/c from the booster in the hopes that I wouldn't have to crack open the brake lines to get the booster out. Looks like i'm going to have to :/ Side note: the outer (i.e. to the driver's side) bolt on the master cylinder is a pain in the ass to get to. Thank goodness for crow-foot wrenches :)
                              - reamed out the old rear shifter carrier bushing (which apparently is "bulit-in" to the bushing bracket and takes some effort) and pressed in the new Condor Speed Shop bushing.

stripped off all the insulation from the heater blower cover (which I could almost just leave off since there's just a blockoff plate behind it where the OEM heater used to be). This is to give a bit more space at the back of the bay with the M50 in there, and also to make it easier to build brackets on it to hang the M50 wiring loom.

aaand.....got out the Sawzall and cut the skidplate brace off. The M50 won't fit with it where it was mounted, so I'll re-mount it a bit farther forward once the engine is in there and I figure out exactly where I want it. Shouldn't be a big deal. Man, this thing has taken a beating (and remember, this is the 2nd build!)

And started cleaning up and repainting the engine bay, section-by-section

ah, one last thing. The e30 firewall has a little plastic "snorkus" drain for the HVAC intake box to drain rain water out. I think I've lost at least 3 of these and broken another couple. But, without it water pours right onto the engine valve cover, which I don't want. So this time I crammed a curved coolant hose into the hole with a generous amount of black silicone. Let's see how long this holds up.

So yeah, nothing super exciting today. Getting down to the dirty work of little detail.

Also we've decided to put the engine in without the transmission attached and just attach it from underneath. One of the nice things about the G240 is it's pretty small and not unbearably heavy. Seems like it'll be less hassle than the extreme angles needed to put the engine in with transmission attached. Guess we'll see in a week or two.
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Just going to keep charging through this, even though it's not that exciting at this point. So, tonight..

cleaned up and painted most of the engine bay. I had started using black, but Josh S reminded me that black sucks in engine bays. So I had half a can of automotive aluminum and a brush, so I did a half-assed paint job. This isn't a show car ;)

Then I pulled the original 1985 brake booster, after unhooking the MC hard lines. The Porsche 944 booster should be here in the next day or two, so will have to do one minor modification to it and then it should go right in

even found some of the original firewall insulation back there. The only part of the car I don't think I've ever seen directly...that corner between the booster and fuse box.

While in there, I rerouted all my gauge wires (the VDO stuff, which I made a pigtail for on the M50 engine side), shortened and repositioned by gas tank breather tube, and opened up the fuse box to re-set both the bottom and side wire grommets, which had both somehow come off.

I also got out the dremel and cut the hole in the firewall where the DME plug and relay panel will go through. Same place as the OEM hole, just had to make it bigger and square-ish. Forgot to take a pic, but hopefully it will all be good. And I messed around with some of the e34 brackets that I took off the car - specifically the one that has the remote positive jumper nub and also mounts the x20 plug and OBD diagnostic port. I think I can make this work with a bit of modification, which will make for a cleaner overall install I think.

And finally got the last couple things on the M50 finished up. Amazon sent me a big box 'o copper washers to replace all the old ones on the senders and on the VANOS oil feed line. Gotta love Amazon....At my local autozone they charge $5.99 for like 4 of these. This box was like $14 and free shipping, or something like that.

There's where the stupid water temp sender is...requires a couple u-joints to get to with a 19mm socket....

Track/street e21 build
                                visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Working...
                                X