OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    Same car just way way more posh. I think they decided they needed to sell these in the suburbs and dolled them up.

I like the sort of no-nonsense-ness of the LR3. It has a simple functional interior, very comfortable, and I like the lights / grille / black fender arches/ etc a lot more.
    That's what I figured. BiL's is awesome, and it is pretty quick going from gas station to gas station :p

IMHO, the newer the rover, the less I like them aesthetically. The disco boxiness is awesome. Newer ones (no offense to anyone) look like Explorers. Or is it vice versa?
    BEERTECH

Comment

The P38 keeps on truckin’ through these frigid days :D:D

It’s comfy inside!
      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
      '95 525iT
      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Who here has a Disco 2?

I'm fighting with the idea of picking one up in the sub-$4k price range, winch bumper, small lift, then just sending it.

However, forum chatter and general knowledge of constant engine issues has me very wary of picking one up.
        2007 Range Rover Sport S/C

Comment

From what I remember the 04s are the only dII worth buying as they had the oil pick up fixed by then.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

I researched them at one point as a potential purchase. 90% of them seem to have head gasket issues, so you're either lucky enough to be in the 10% or you become intimately knowledgeable with the V8.

I think '04 had the center locking diff and a few other upgrades like xenon headlights that made it more desirable than the earlier models.

Personally, if I was to buy a reasonably priced Rover I think I'd go LR3, good mixture of creature comforts and off-road capability while not costing tons of money.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
              I researched them at one point as a potential purchase. 90% of them seem to have head gasket issues, so you're either lucky enough to be in the 10% or you become intimately knowledgeable with the V8.

I think '04 had the center locking diff and a few other upgrades like xenon headlights that made it more desirable than the earlier models.

Personally, if I was to buy a reasonably priced Rover I think I'd go LR3, good mixture of creature comforts and off-road capability while not costing tons of money.
              also IIRC all the DII's had the Center Diff lock but didnt have the cable to actuate it until 04, and you could retrofit the lever from a Disco to make it work with a little creative work.

I agree if you must go older Rover, a LR3 would be where I would be looking.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

I had a Disco 2 for a while

I bought it knowing the head gaskets had already been done, which at this point most Discos that are currently running have probably had the gaskets done or they would be completely and obviously blown by now. The late models with the 4.6L also had issues of dropping cylinder liners but that is also one of those things that if it hasn't happened by now, it's probably never going to happen...

The u-joints in the rear driveshaft are also a common point of failure but a rebuilt driveshaft can be had in the $250-300 range or you can replace them yourself for way cheaper.

Also the only DIIs that have a center locking diff are the '99 into late 2000, and the '03-'04. The late models already have the linkage and require no mods but the early models need the linkage from either a D1 or a late model DII.

They're awesome trucks, mine ran like a champ until a girl cut me off on the highway and totaled it. Just a small amount of bent sheet metal but it doesn't take much to total a $2500 disco...
                -Alex

Comment

Love the feedback on the lr3 vs RRS. I have been green lit by the wife to buy what I like on my next decent commission check...

Her being English and all helps get the nod of approval (I have 4 cars and 3 motorcycles already), and I think the plan will be to buy whatever I can get the best quality for the price with a jag powerplant. I'm fine adding Johnson lift rods, even to a full size RR, in order to get decent tires if I have to.

Comment

[ATTACH]126133[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                      Love the feedback on the lr3 vs RRS. I have been green lit by the wife to buy what I like on my next decent commission check...

Her being English and all helps get the nod of approval (I have 4 cars and 3 motorcycles already), and I think the plan will be to buy whatever I can get the best quality for the price with a jag powerplant. I'm fine adding Johnson lift rods, even to a full size RR, in order to get decent tires if I have to.
                      Remember, even if you have Johnson Lift rods, if an EAS component fails and drops you to the bump stops with larger tires, you won't be able to move at all because the tires will be jammed up in the wheel well.

Lucky 8 has larger bump stops for such moments so I would absolutely look into that if you go the Johnson Rod + larger tire route.

Comment

In a review of the $132,000, 575hp RR Sport SVR..........

"After a fair bit of driving, it seems pretty clear that the main value proposition of this Strange Rover is “object to advertise your disposable income” that happens to double as transportation."

To me it's pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                          In a review of the $132,000, 575hp RR Sport SVR..........

"After a fair bit of driving, it seems pretty clear that the main value proposition of this Strange Rover is “object to advertise your disposable income” that happens to double as transportation."

To me it's pointless.
                          1 year ago I would have said it was pointless to have any SUV with over 250bhp, because after all they're basically just for picking up groceries or getting out of snow covered driveways.

People could make the exact same argument against any Platinum F150 or F250, because I can almost guarantee 90% of them never haul anything larger than a Uhaul 10' trailer, yet cost $70k +.

After owning and daily driving a 400hp supercharged RRS, and having driven the newer 500hp RRS, I can absolutely understand why people pay a premium for high horsepower SUVs.

IMO, a Range Rover Sport is the *best* all around vehicle a person can own. Power, luxury, status (let's be real, who doesn't want a nice vehicle that others fawn over?), and fantastic looks all rolled into one.

Comment

Not me. I'd buy a sports car.

I like this.....
                            110 (NOT a Defender or an NAS limited edition or anything special).
                            2.5 diesel NA (slow. torque.)
                            Manual
                            Cloth seats
                            Dents and wear
                            Worked in the orange fields - prolly has some rust
                            Carries 5 people, or 10 people on jump seats, or a lot of stuff.
                            You can fix it with a rock and pliers.

The only things I think have any real function are a 2-seat sports car (or a sporting hatch city car), a single cab pickup with an 8' box, and a wagon (Volvo, E91..). They take care of anything you need to do. But if I had to drive across Africa, or crawl some rocks up a mountain while carrying some radio equipment, or I lived in really deep snow, I'd want this. I'm not gonna race it or take it to the opera or da clubs.

Kind of worthless on the highway, so I have to fall back on my list of three.
                            My son loves his Land Rover. He's a Land Rover guy, that's all he wants.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1985_land_rover_one_ten_1550798791f53ab7bdf0dDSC_5853-620x483.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	7200908

Bid for the chance to own a 1985 Land Rover 110 Diesel at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #16,758.

Last edited by LateFan; 02-26-2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

orrrr......

You could do this - a BMW V12 Range Rover Classic, for a fraction of the price. Where's that slammin when we need him?!

Bid for the chance to own a V12-Powered 1991 Land Rover Range Rover County Classic at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #11,723.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5b6ce25e11b83_rover_range_rover_county_classic_1532931961208495d56PPIK1909-1-620x426.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	7200926

Comment

I'm doing some work on a 1986 Defender 110 pickup from South Africa.

Anyone know of the best places to buy parts and also info sources like a good forum?
                                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X