Garagistic Odometer Gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garagistic Odometer Gears

Odo gears have always been $25 a gear and if all of yours are broken then thats quite a bit of cash... I found Garagistic on here and they had the Motometer gear kit for $30 total. When i bought mine they had (probably still do) a r3v member coupon code for $10 off. So i bought them $20 shipped. They arrived within a week and i just put them in today. The odometer works like new. If youve pulled your cluster before then its a piece of cake and the whole process may take 30-45 minutes. Great product and service and the plastic seems stronger than the original pieces.

+1 I did the same thing earlier this week. Shipping was pretty fast and so far has worked well. I guess time is the only way to tell with stuff like this though

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
    90 325ix

Comment

Always glad to hear a happy customer!

Comment

These guys are good...I had an issue with my first set I contacted them and they shipped me a new set with no problems stand up company!
        sigpic

Comment

We stand by our products!

Comment

Hurriedly did this the night before Bimmerfest East.

Getting the instrument cluster out of an airbag car when you can't get the darned steering wheel off was the biggest challenge.

I would highly recommend Garagistic.

The parts arrived quickly and the tutorial on their website is pretty well written and very easy to follow. Be aware though that their text says to remove 9 screws and the photo presented only shows 7 of the 9. Only took a few seconds to figure it out but did give me a chuckle.

It was very satisfying to drive off and see the ododmeter working again!

Thank you Garagistic. A very good product at a good price.

Comment

Just put mine in a couple weeks ago. Shipping was very fast and their online tutorials were extremely helpful!

I would definitely recommend getting new odometer gears from Garagistic.
              -Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

Comment

heres my gears that i replaced haha

I finaly have a working odo haha.

One thing I would change about this kit is the gear with the brass fitting. I think it is necessary to have the fitting cuz the plastic gear will not grip the rod enough and will eventually slip. of course I didnt really think about this until after I assembled everything
                Last edited by ///M42 sport; 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM.
                Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                  One thing I would change about this kit is the gear with the brass fitting. I think it is necessary to have the fitting cuz the plastic gear will grip the rod enough and will eventually slip. of course I didnt really think about this until after I assembled everything
                  Was just about to order a set from odometergears and saw this.

The brass fitting is removed and not replaced on either brand of gears correct?

Comment

I orderd a VDO, but also need a motometer. I would go ahead a place your order. You dont really have an alternative haha

I dont thing its too hard to fit the gear on the brass fitting. youll need to widen the hole a little. If you have a small watch screwdriver you maybe able to do it.

BTW I had a hell of a time removing the brass fitting. I know on the garagetastic website, it said to not use force, and that it would come off. I had to use a big set of pliers and be a little creative to force that fitting off.

Another question I had was is some kind of lubricant necessary? There was some on the original and a wax like material also.
                    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Here to clear some confusion:

Yes the factory brass bushing needs to be removed as the e1 12 tooth gear we supply fits directly on the shaft. It is a very tight fit so it will never slip off. Definitely do not try to modify or widen the gear. It is not needed.

Best way to install e1 gear:

After you remove the factory e1 gear (use this video to help):

When ready to install e1 gear, add a bit of lithium grease to help slip the gear on. Using a pair of needle nose pliers, hold the shaft the gear goes on from the back side (located in the center of the gauge) while pushing the gear on. The use of the need nose pliers is to insure you are not apply pressure to the shaft and damaging the unit! Use care when install your new gear.

Instructions for e1 gear specifically:
                      This guide should only be used to help you as a suggested way to fix your equipment. They are not intended to be absolute. Its your sole responsibility if any damage or inaccuracy may occur. If you are unsure how to take something apart, send us an email, we would be happy to help. There are many small pieces involved

As far as using lube once installed, its not really needed. However some customers have used lithium to insure there is absolutely no noise. We have never noticed noise however if you have a 100% factory exhaust e30 and super human hearing to be able to detect that from under the dash, well, then add a bit of grease for insurance. It wont hurt.

Comment

Is there still an r3v coupon?
                        '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                        current:
                        '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                        '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Originally posted by BrooklynMW View Post
                          Is there still an r3v coupon?
                          r3vmoto = motometer version

r3vmember = vdo version

Comment

Thanks man. Ordering mine tomorrow morning!
                            '87 325i "Chewey" (RIP, my beloved)
                            current:
                            '01 e46 325iT "Dot" - #datwagonlife
                            '87 e30 325i "Tui" - she has her mother's eyes

Comment

Of course i read this thread after i order my gears. lol

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post

One thing I would change about this kit is the gear with the brass fitting. I think it is necessary to have the fitting cuz the plastic gear will not grip the rod enough and will eventually slip. of course I didnt really think about this until after I assembled everything
                              I replaced the odometer gears in my blue e30 5 years ago with the bav auto $120 kit which also does not have the brass fitting. Still works fine.
                              Last edited by einstein57; 09-29-2012, 02:12 PM.

www.gecoils.com
                              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X