I saw this car on the way to Newport today, on Mona Vale Road
    We're out there in here.

Comment

I get around.
      Any progress on yours with the V8?
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Diamond stitch. Also I can dig those rims.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Diamond stitch is yuck to me - just looks like a wannabe bentley or something an e30 will never be. I love the more oem look - or some houndstooth, maybe mtech fabric - something that looks like it could have been a super rare special order option.

Good luck!
          91 DS S52 Slicktop, 91 Calypso M42, 89 Royalblau M20, 84 Bahama Beige 323i, M535, Euro e24, ap1

www.RenownUSA.com
          ig @RenownUSA / @rude.scott

Comment

E46 rack swap complete!

I was tired with the standard E30 rack being so slow. I drive the car hard, and it as we know is unsettling when you have to change your hand position for every corner.
            So someone nearby was selling a purple tagged rack for the right price, and it happened to find its way into the garage.

The swap itself was fairly easy. Due to mine being a 318is the header clearance was an issue, but with the rack in the forward holes and the guibo delete linkage all the way down to the rack it seems to clear enough.
            Only other trouble was bending the lines, but with an oxy torch and a few hours we nailed that.

E46 rack vs E30. E30 on top, E46 on bottom.

Hilariously bad pictures of the lines. The one with the loop was fairly easy as there was lots of material to work with.

This one was a little more difficult as there was not much spare line. So it was fed up between the two smaller lines. Tight fit, but it works.

To complement the faster ratio rack, I bought this. It's a 330mm Momo Prototipo. I have the boss kit, waiting for the horn button to be posted to me.

And I also bought this, a 4.1 40% medium case. Posted from America as we don't have them at all over here, I got shafted because of the exchange rate.

Still have to order some other things before it gets fitted though. I'm going to do new unis in the driveshaft, new guibo, CSB, and shifter bushings as I bought a Z3 shifter.

Things are happening!

RE the interior, I'm going to get my sports seats retrimmed and hopefully a little more bolster added.

Also bought a welder and so will be fixing my rust soon.

It's all kicking off!

Also, does anyone know if the Whiteline strut brace will clear the manifold? Their website is arse to navigate.
            sigpic

Comment

What time is it?
              It's very belated update time, that's what!

Next after the E46 rack swap was driveline.
              Bought a 4.10 40% medium case from American ebay and had it posted over here. An expensive exercise, but such diffs don't exist here at all.
              Bushing was replaced with a Powerflex one, as I'm a big fan of that sort of stiffness. Not solid mount harsh but an assload better than rubber.
              Driveshaft was redone with new uni joints as the old ones were totally cactus, as well as new CSB and flex disc.

Before the work was done I figured it didn't matter if I destroyed the original 4.1 small open, which lead to a bit of this:

(yes I am awful at sliding)

While it was a shit of a job swapping diffs, once it was done I did some more of this:

I am still chasing a slight vibration from the driveline. The back wheels seem to sort of hop above 45mph or thereabouts when I put it on jackstands. Hoping that swapping the rear subframe will cure that as it might be wheelbearing or some shit.

After driveline was brakes. The ones that were on the car were super worn stock items and the hoses were in shit condition.
              So, I bought these.

And had these made up by the local brake shop.

With some EBC redstuff pads for the front and what will hopefully soon be Bendix ultimate rears (didn't realise that touring pads were different enough to not fit?) they feel great.

After that, a friend binned his 325i manual sedan so I bought it for cheap. Parts cars are always good, and the neighbours love having rusty broken piles of shit hanging around.

That's going to be donating its rear subframe, I'll pull engine and box and either sell them or stick them under the house for future parts, and everything else that I don't need will be sold.

However the most exciting part will be in the next post...
              Last edited by econti; 06-07-2015, 06:25 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

It's turbo time.

Well not quite as I still need to fit some proper coils and do the interior. But anyway.

Another user from here, and someone who is local-ish to me, had pulled his M42 turbo gear due to it throwing a rod. To cut a long story short, he ended up with more bits and sold it to me for a very reasonable price.

So!
                What we have here, is:

1. Block drilled to fit M12 studs with inserts (i.e. veryfuckingstrong). Crank is in the block just for keeping.

2. Head is also drilled to fit bigger studs. Has VAC springs and lifters, with custom cat cams.

3. Stock rods but balanced and shot peened

4. And my most favourite bit, JE forgies ceramic coated which should be around 10:1 c/r.

Not pictured is a whole bunch of other stuff including copper head gaskets, ARP rod bolts and all that biz, rocker covers, just generally useful stuff.

With this engine will be a custom intake plenum, exhaust manifold to suit a GT2860RS .64 A/R, 650cc injectors on a Nuke rail, all running through a Haltech PS1000 ECU.
                While I will be starting off with an internal wastegate, it should still make some very reasonable power.

It will be an absolutely massive learning curve for me as I've never built an engine before, let alone do ECU wiring or any of that shit. But I have done an assload of research and will be taking my time to try and get it god damn right. I guess since building and turbocharging M42s past thicker gasket and ARP studs isn't done nearly as much there just isn't all the data and info availble compared to m20s.

I am sort of tempted to do a youtube series on the build, would anyone actually watch it? It wouldn't just be 45 minutes of me telling you how to turn a socket, more just highlights sort of thing. If anyone watches Bamse's turbo volvo build, sort of like that except with way less budget, production value and interest.

But anyway. Plan is to have it running before the end of the year or before Buttchug does his, whichever comes first.
                sigpic

Comment

Get working son, I want to see this up at Cavallino's with forced induction already.

Glad to see you picked up Chris's parts that is a tried & true m42 build he had before, your plans seem to be the next level up

Comment

Ah good info on steering racks and a turbo M42?? Sign me up for this thread! Nice work so far, can't wait to watch another Turbo M42 build.
                    The Lineup in order of appearance:
                    91 535i
                    91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                    91 325is w/ S52
                    88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                    88 M3 ;D
                    91 325ix 5 speed
                    89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                    73 2002
                    1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                    1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                    1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                    1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                    Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

I love your idea of an all-around e30. Fantastic.

Comment

Looks like I'll be going with an external wastegate instead, as someone near me has exhaust and intake manifolds for sale.
                        Buying bits second hand is so much cheaper than having them made.

(Also note that I will not be updating this thread with things like bumper replacement and maintenance, however all that is going on behind the scenes)

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post
                        Get working son, I want to see this up at Cavallino's with forced induction already.

Glad to see you picked up Chris's parts that is a tried & true m42 build he had before, your plans seem to be the next level up
                        Chris' setup was more mental than mine will be, he was running E85 and all that biz. Whereas mine will be less of an out-and-out monster

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                        Ah good info on steering racks and a turbo M42?? Sign me up for this thread! Nice work so far, can't wait to watch another Turbo M42 build.
                        Always happy to help out. The community has given so much to me, that I figure the least I can do is give some back :)
                        sigpic

Comment

Awesome, if I'm thinking of the m42 you go the parts from correctly this will be a seriously cool build! I personally regret not being more detailed about all my work done to my engine in my thread so please do the world a favor and document the crap out of everything you do.

You are in the same boat I was when I started to build my car I had no idea what the hell I was doing when it came to rebuilding an engine or machine work. Thankfully the machine shop I used was owned by an older gentleman who used to build top fuel cars, and airplane engines so I would spend hours there learning about machine work and how to properly assemble engines. You're going to learn a lot, and the best advise I was ever given was "if you don't know what to do, don't do it, learn what you need to do first before guessing and doing it wrong."

If you have any questions about stuff feel free to ask, I'm more than willing to share any information I have about my car, and how I trouble shoot some of the issues I had. Glad to see another M42 turbo!

Originally posted by econti View Post
                          or before Buttchug does his, whichever comes first.
                          ^But this made me lol
                          -Dee
                          5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                          IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Me likey.
                            fried chicken

Comment

Good work so far! I'm liking this!
                              TURB'02

INSTAGRAM

Comment

Awesome stuff!! I vote for the blue-green plaid interior...
                                diamantschwarz 1991 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X