formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
    That's encouraging, I'll call Holley and make sure but if so I will probs go that route

**EDIT** Just got off the phone with Ford performance, the bell housing is the same between the 2.0/2.3 with the exception of the oil pan. He said an mt-82 should fit as long as I swap to a 2.3l pan which is interchangeable. So it may be worthwhile to look for a manual from a new mustang instead.
    Thats great news! The mustang trans will hold a ton of power and have infinite support in the future.
    You may need/want the mustang pan, if not custom, as well since the FWD pans are angled with the engine tilt

Comment

Originally posted by super51fan View Post
      Thats great news! The mustang trans will hold a ton of power and have infinite support in the future.
      You may need/want the mustang pan, if not custom, as well since the FWD pans are angled with the engine tilt

Yes from my understanding I will need the 2.3l pan regardless as it has the proper bolt spacing for the bottom side of the transmission bell housing. Now I need to figure out if I can also use the 2.3l flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing and starter.

Comment

It seems like, even though more expensive, that a tremec t56 may be a better choice due to size as well as durability. I am not liking the things I am reading about the getrag mt-82 when you throw power or high rpm shifts at them.

Comment

Ended up going with the MT-82 Mustang transmission, found a 6k mile specimen locally!

Comment

glad to see progress being made on this. Wish I knew more about this swap/motor
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
              glad to see progress being made on this. Wish I knew more about this swap/motor

It may become more common to see this swap done, the engine transmission combo was $2200, which is pretty affordable for a power/$$ ratio.

Comment

Picked up a Spec stage 2+ aluminum flywheel/clutch combo, and pilot bearing. When the engine stand shows up I'll get the engine up and swap out the 2.3l oil pan. Then mate the trans to the engine and make some time to pull the m42.

Comment

this should certainly be a fun combo. This is an aluminum block right? How much do you think it weighs in full trim?
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    this should certainly be a fun combo. This is an aluminum block right? How much do you think it weighs in full trim?
                    I will try to figure out a way to weigh it accurately, but from anecdotal evidence:

M42 with all accesories: 345#
                    2.0 EcoBoost with all accessories: 328#
                    Getrag 260: ~95#
                    MT-82: ~123#

e30 318is dry weight with m42/getrag 260:2602#
                    e30 318is dry weight with swap theoretical: 2613#

Comment

The Ford Performance control pack showed up today.

Comment

Great work! The bell housing on the mustang gearbox sure looks deep, so will be interesting to see some pics on how it fits in the e30 tunnel & how far back you can get the engine.

In Australia we got a 240hp version of the 2.0 ecoboost in the RWD Ford Falcon, so I will certainly follow with interest.
                        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                          Great work! The bell housing on the mustang gearbox sure looks deep, so will be interesting to see some pics on how it fits in the e30 tunnel & how far back you can get the engine.

In Australia we got a 240hp version of the 2.0 ecoboost in the RWD Ford Falcon, so I will certainly follow with interest.
                          Lucky!

I wonder what transmission that uses? Methinks the MT-82 probably (EDIT: it's a TR-6060). Luckily the E30 transmission tunnel opening is fairly wide and my rough (very rough) measurements says that it will fit. If not, I have a bfh and some time so not an issue for me. I'm more concerned with the engine height, at 30" it's definitely not going to fit with the hood closed, but I am not opposed to taking and angle grinder to the hood to fix that problem.

Comment

Another big box from Ford Performance showed up today. This time it's the 2.0l engine orientation kit that supplies the correct 2.3l pan, intake manifold, coolant outlet neck to send hose to the front of engine and a few other related bits.

Also got a flocking kit for the dash, I went with "Goose Grey" Suede-Tex.

Comment

So tonight I got the engine up on the stand and am slowly putting on the parts for the rwd conversion, pictured is the 2.3l intake manifold. I won't be able to run the throttle body like that as it's in the way of the tensioner. Ford said slight modification is required so I'll need to inquire further as to what I need to do to make it fit.

Comment

Todays project included installing the new coolant outlet neck and associated tube and I also started to dress out the wiring harness. I have to unwrap a lot of the tape to allow some of the wires to stretch out to different locations.

New coolant tube and neck

Start of the wiring harness install

Comment

Working...
                                X