No announcement yet.

Project rust-bucket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got my mausberry circuits auto shut down car switch wired up and installed. Dash looks to be functioning properly at the moment. Just need to do a bit more tweaking to hopefully get the raspberry pi to startup faster. Eventually I will design a custom gauge/dash view, but I think this standard tunerstudio one will serve it's purpose for now.

Comment

Big weekend as I finally got the car back on the ground! Still going to have to go up a few times to adjust ride height, finish exhaust, etc. But I will be able to roll the car out of my garage to clean and be able to fully open the doors to finish up the wiring for the first time in over 6 months...

The ride height was a complete guess, but I think the front is probably close to right, and the rear will definitely be going down. Final height will be determined once the fender flares go on.

Hopefully I can get the majority of the wiring wrapped up today and get the seats and harnesses installed.

Comment

Comment

running?

Comment

Not yet. I keep getting bogfged down with little things that are taking way longer then they should. Great example, the passenger side front hard line to soft brake line nut was stripped, likely by the previous owner or some shop. Same thing happened with the clutch line. Took me WAAAY to long to deal with that.

I have the MS3x fully setup and hopefully wired correctly. Just need to swap the crank sensor that I forgot to do while the car was still on jack stands, finish up the surge tank lines (just need a few bolts to hold down the surge tank), and I need to weld in a bung to a temporary downpipe for the wideband.

If it wasn't coming up to Christmas I would do all of that this weekend and hopefully have it running.

Comment

Small update. Finally got around to getting the surge tank installed (nearly)

Just need to throw the hose clamps on the tops side after I 100% determine the line routing underneath the car. For a cheap ebay surge tank, it fit pretty well and so far I am happy. Time will tell if I made a bad choice or not. The fuel pump is however an AEM high flow pump, so I didn't skimp there.

Comment

I went back & read your entire build (so far) after you suggested the door cards. Thanks.

Looks like you've done this before. Impressed.

You can see what I'm working with in the project section: "My retired '88 M3 GTS2 Pro Challenge Street Car"

I'm picking away at it as winter goes along up here in Ga.

Paul

Comment

Your car is such an awesome find!

This is my first project as big as this one ahs turned into. I have "built" a few other cars over the last few years, but nothing to this scale. I have been learning a LOT along the way, and would definitely have done a few things differently if I knew this was the route I was going from the beginning.

Comment

I think we all think that as we progress on our projects ... and skill.

Thanks for the props on my beside the barn find. Hope to be street driving in the summer.

I'll keep watch'n yours ... looks like fun

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post

and finally, I decided to do a 24v swap.

THIS... would've saved me alot of time lol ... 86 alpine white basket case car here , used it as an intro to wrenching. not even mad
                      1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                      Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
                      1967 2002 parts car
                      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

All sorts of work I managed to finish up today.

Coated the floor pan in bed liner. I have a feeling a lot of people here aren't going to like this one, but it's functional and really easy to apply and touch up. This has turned into a track build anyways...Side note, if anyone else plans on doing this, do not leave the car in your garage while doing this...Your house will smell like checmicals while it cures.

Also broke the welder out and got the second seat rail completed

On top of these, I finally welded up the hy35 internal wastegate flap, drilled out two of the 4 holes on the turbo for the two remaining studs, finished up the downpipe, tapped the compressor housing for a 1/8th fitting for the boost controller, and leaned up a few of the non needed brackets in the engine bay.

The fixed back seats and harnesses should be going in tomorrow with the rest of the center console pieces. Hopefully I will be able to start the car next week.

Comment

Got a bunch more work done today, but unfortunately not nearly as much as I was hoping to. There are always silly little things that just east time away...

Got the seats and brackets mocked up to check fitment and seating position

I also got most of the center console reassembled as well. Even wired up the push start button, and so far so good.

Hopefully during the week I can refinish the seat brackets, install the harnesses, and finish off the wiring.

Only real negative from the weekend is that I just realized the HY35 doesn't have enough clearance to get a nut onto 1 of the 4 studs...Not sure how i'm going to solve that one yet.

Comment

A few updates from during the week. Turns out the Holset HY35 just wasn't going to fit. The turbine housing on the one I had was threaded on two hole for a bolt while the other two were non threaded for a stud. I drilled out the threaded holes, but it was just too tight to get a nut on the studs from the t3 flange...I clearanced some of the housing, but I really didn't like the idea of grinding down a cast material, especially in a place that will see the amount of heat cycling and stress that will.

So, fast forward and I ended up with a new turbo

I was pretty much dead set on a borg warner turbo, but the guy at Boost Lab here in tampa talked me into this precision. I don't normally get sold on anything, but the price was a significant difference, and since this was an expense I wasn't really looking to incur, I went with his suggestion.

It fits a lot better in the engine bay as well since it was never meant to have an internal gate, and thus the dimensions are a bit better for my application. Only downside now is that I need to make a new downpipe...

Since I have the interior nearly completed, most all of the wiring done, etc. I decided it was time to get the seats in and run my harnesses.

Then ran into this issue

That angle is to severe, and I think the harness bar is not made high enough. I don't think lowering my seat is going to make the angle much better, so I am looking into some other solutions still...

But until then, I just mocked everything up to see what it would look like

The wife likes it at least :)

Comment

Re: Coilpack wiring, if you're looking for ideas, here's what I did:

After this, I wrapped the harness a little more and trimmed the boot back.
                              I filed circular notches into the beauty cover and valve cover rib for the wire to lay in.

With cover:

Still needed to wrap the downpipe and put an aluminum heat shield on the plastic beauty cover to keep the heat away, but it worked well.

after adding the aluminum piece:
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
                                Since I have the interior nearly completed, most all of the wiring done, etc. I decided it was time to get the seats in and run my harnesses.

Then ran into this issue

That angle is to severe, and I think the harness bar is not made high enough. I don't think lowering my seat is going to make the angle much better, so I am looking into some other solutions still...
                                the floor seat mounts you made push the seat up pretty high, Id have a look at re-engineering them. Have you checked to see how tall you sit in the car with the seats as-is, and with a helmet? Im sure you'll find that you need to redo them.

These are the typical styles of seat mounts, you can imagine how using your seat side mounts on these will drop the seat about 2" and completely change that angle on the harness
                                Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X