86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 eta 5.0 swap...

I've got another thread in the 24v section, but decided recently that I want to change direction. The M54B30 I was going to use most likely needs a rebuild, as it sat outside for a few years under a tarp that continuously found its way off of the engine. The case was filled with water, so I really don't feel like chancing it with that engine. I could probably get another M54 at the junkyard (or an M52tu), but for the same price I could also get a 302. So that's what I decided to do.

Here's the car:

I have to keep it in my backyard while there's no engine in it, because the city and my HOA have been all over me already. It is currently under a waterproof cover though.

Ordered the E30V8 motor/trans mount this week, got them yesterday.

Ordered a front/rear subframe reinforcement kit from Garagistic this morning, as well as rear toe/camber adjustment kit.

The plan is to find an engine from a 96-97 Explorer or Mountaineer. I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to convert it to Mustang ignition or run my Megasquirt on it, but before it ever goes in the car it's going to get new valve springs and camshaft, and probably aluminum GT40 style heads. I won't be buying the motor until next month, as I'm lacking time/space to do such things right this moment as I prepare for a trade show in May.

I'll be running a Borg-Warner T5 transmission, converting to the E36 style rear diff mounting, and then we'll go from there. I don't plan on restoring the look of the car, want it to be pretty unassuming, Roadkill style build.

Subbing. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just about got the 302 out if a 99 Mountaineer, just waiting for some chains to pull it out. $280 plus a $80 core charge for the full engine with accessories. I wanted to go 96-97, but the only option I had for that year was a 97 with 183k miles. I don't know the mileage on the 99, but it's a much cleaner engine externally, so I'd rather take the gamble, even if it means the wrong heads.

Comment

Got most everything disconnected, but ran out of time. Someone had the chains for the engine hoist, and didn't turn them in until a half hour before LKQ closed. Will be back in the morning to finish the job.
        Last edited by Elysian; 04-14-2017, 03:39 PM. Reason: Fixed the HUGE image.

Comment

Just got the engine home. Hell of a day, worked way too hard in the sun, nearly got heat stroke I think. I'm leaving the engine in the truck bed overnight. I'll take it out tomorrow.

Comment

Sweeeet !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stroke it to 347ci!

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                Stroke it to 347ci!
                First goal is to get it on the road

Comment

I love me a good ole 5.0. I had many a foxbody back in the day!

I wouldn't mess with the GT40X al heads, they don't make enough power for the $$ they are IMO. Trick flow twisted wedge 170s (almost the same price), a ported gt40p intake, and an anderson b31 or 41 cam will make some fantastic power in an E30 without pulling the bottom end apart or spending much money.

Good luck!
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    I love me a good ole 5.0. I had many a foxbody back in the day!

I wouldn't mess with the GT40X al heads, they don't make enough power for the $$ they are IMO. Trick flow twisted wedge 170s (almost the same price), a ported gt40p intake, and an anderson b31 or 41 cam will make some fantastic power in an E30 without pulling the bottom end apart or spending much money.

Good luck!
                    My main interest is for weight saving over iron, but I'll check around, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
                      My main interest is for weight saving over iron, but I'll check around, thanks!
                      Right on- the Twisted Wedge 170s flow much better, are roughly the same price, and are still aluminum! Either way you'll make 300whp if you do a decent cam, intake, and al heads.

Hell, I made 302whp on crappy old iron heads, a TF street intake and a $50 cam.
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Awesome, I like the prices on the Trick Flow stuff, will very likely go that route. The anderson 31 looks like a good fit, though if I did stroke it down the road maybe the 41 would be better.

Comment

Put my spare engines in my pickups to take to the metal scrappers tomorrow. Put the 302 on my engine stand, ready for some real work to begin.

Comment

Got the parts necessary for 5 lug swap on the way. Already had a pair of right side front E36 M3 hubs, have a left side ordered. Also found a 318ti in a local junkyard, they're giving me both sides of the rear, including suspension, brakes, etc, for $275. Couldn't pass that up. Ordered the front sump oil pan, pickup, and a dipstick for a timing cover outlet. I'll drill the Explorer timing cover to fit the new dipstick. I won't really be able to start working until after May 8th, the trade show coming up and all is keeping me extremely busy.

Comment

Found a 318ti at a local junkyard, asked them to pull the left and right arms for me. They gave me the whole rear end minus different and axles.

Comment

Working...
                              X