Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sway bars are you running? (325iX only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
    Yeah. E46 323i didn’t work. Going to try e36m3 next. Here’s a iX with a e36m3, I couldn’t talk directly with owner on if the mounts or bar are custom but you can note the sway link mount location.
    This is my car. Let me know if you guys have questions.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by rede30 View Post
      Was the e36M3 front sway bar, straight bolt on?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

With adjustable end links and tabs welded in new location I was able to run this setup.
        Last edited by rede30; 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-h...wE3UqwjjmaTrXg

Comment

Originally posted by rede30 View Post
          Wow, wasn’t expecting you to comment. I was mainly talking to nick on your car.

I’ll be buying a bar to see if the gc mounts/ endlinks will work but if it’s convenient. Honestly it almost looks like my setup would work better as long as the links aren’t too short.

Do you remember what poly bushing you have in there? I’d assume it’s modified to size. I’ve seen a few iX specific bushings online (I think)

Oh and it sounds like they are all the same besides thickness for e36 bars
          95 M3 22.5mm front
          96+ M3 23mm front
          pre-6/92 build 325 25mm front
          post-6/92 build 325 24mm front
          328 non-Sport 24mm front
          328 Sport 24mm front
          318ti Sport 25.5mm front
          Last edited by Chrisbike; 03-29-2018, 03:28 PM.
          Build Thread
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
          Parts Thread
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Nice. I just ordered the garagistic away bar tabs.

Comment

Could you possibly help me out and get measurements of the length of the endlinks and the measurement of the sway bar tabs from the top of the knuckle please? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
              Last edited by dirtyEthirtyIX; 03-30-2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm if the e36M3 front swaybar is a straight bolt on solution?

Comment

It's not. If you look at the pictures, he moved the swaybar link attachment points on the strut housings. Also it doesn't appear that the swaybar link is vertical, but maybe that doesn't matter since it just reduces the effectiveness of the bar, but it's still a lot stiffer because the bar is so much larger than stock.

I'd be more worried about clearance issues but it would seem to be OK. This looks like a great solution, if you do coilovers you have to move the swaybar link attachment point anyway.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    It's not. If you look at the pictures, he moved the swaybar link attachment points on the strut housings. Also it doesn't appear that the swaybar link is vertical, but maybe that doesn't matter since it just reduces the effectiveness of the bar, but it's still a lot stiffer because the bar is so much larger than stock.

I'd be more worried about clearance issues but it would seem to be OK. This looks like a great solution, if you do coilovers you have to move the swaybar link attachment point anyway.
                    If you compare his pic to the stock pic, it appears to be the same as far as clearance goes. As far as the relocation for link mount, I think an adjustable endllink would solve that. Not sure that relocation of link mount is necessary. If I had an e36 sway bar on hand, I would be trying this tomorrow.

Comment

Any more information on this? I've been curious about a swaybar upgrade for a while. I've even considered just getting a piece of metal bend to match, but i like the idea of the M3 bar more.

Comment

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
                        If you compare his pic to the stock pic, it appears to be the same as far as clearance goes. As far as the relocation for link mount, I think an adjustable endllink would solve that. Not sure that relocation of link mount is necessary. If I had an e36 sway bar on hand, I would be trying this tomorrow.

With coilovers you must reattach the link bracket anyway. May as well move it to the best spot. :)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm 96% sure an e36 m3 bar is going to fit no problem. The only snag might be the bushings.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

i picked up an ix touring bar for the front. it seemed to tie it together a little better
                            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I'm not sure why someone would want a stiffer front sway bar with the ix though. It's already prone to understeer and it does not really have that great of an ability to induce power oversteer. If you want to get it to rotate you really have to do a Scandinavian flick. Maybe so you can pair with a much stiffer rear sway?

I removed my front sway bar on the rallycross ix and it still isn't neutral, but it's a hell of a lot better. Stock rear bar.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

When my swaybar link broke, the handling was.. Not good. I wouldn't reccomend disconnecting it for track/autox. I think there is a big difference between tarmac and rally, anyway.

When i was logging tire temps it appeared to me lack of negative camber (and overheating the outside edge of the tires) contributed the most to understeer. Also, if you get to the point of a "zero" understeer balance, you end up with a car that snap oversteers instead.

In short, attempting to dial out all understeer will not result in good results. It is what it is.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X