• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First E30: '89 Lachssilber 325i Four Door

The car as she sits today...scroll down to the last post to see updates:
    2-10-2019

--Original post--

Hey everyone, I've posted a small amount here and there but figured I'd take a second to show you all my first E30 that I bought late last year.

I found it on eBay in Anaheim. The company I bought it from auctions off cars that are donated to charity. Snagged it for $2125, figured it looked straight and was worth the relatively small gamble. Carfax showed a single-owner, California car, and had the original (clean) title in hand to prove it.

Here's how she sat on the lot:

Album link for other images from the lot I bought it from, and from when I first brought it home:

https://imgur.com/a/kq3jv

Biggest negatives are comfort interior (though it's in pretty good shape) and of course the slushbox. Obviously it had been lowered, and I was pleased to find it had relatively new Bilsteins all around. It needed a valve adjustment, timing and some other belts, but since that's been taken care of it has been running great considering the 220,000+ miles. Have put about 2500 on myself. It's been a pleasure to drive - even with the automatic and a somewhat whiny open diff...

Since then I've been mainly doing minor cosmetic upgrades. Put in a Continental TR7412UB-OR radio with bluetooth, a Z3 short antenna, a (slightly beat up) M tech I wheel, and spent some time removing that godawful faded tint:

https://imgur.com/a/YN4eP

The last of those three images represents how I spent my last weekend. After the heavy rains (unfortunately, I don't have a garage), I noticed my passenger carpet was completely soaked. Turns out the "elephant trunk" was completely full of crap, and water had soaked the entire floor. I spent the weekend with a shop vac and the carpet ripped up, drying it and hoping to get ahead of any smell. So far, so good - put it all back together Sunday night. Next item on the agenda is checking all the other drains before it rains again.

Next big project is probably A/C work - car has the R134 adapters but it's not blowing cold, so need to get that sorted (hopefully before summer).

Thanks for reading, this forum has been a huge help and source of information for me as I begin this journey.

-Troy
    Last edited by e30_troy; 02-10-2019, 12:34 PM.

Love the color. Car seems like it's in good shape would love to see more of it also is that stock bumper ? Not plastic ??? Maybe I'm off ??
    PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Man I love that color. I was convinced I was going to have an E30 in Lachssilber as my first E30, maybe one day.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mpolito3355 View Post
        Love the color. Car seems like it's in good shape would love to see more of it also is that stock bumper ? Not plastic ??? Maybe I'm off ??

It’s in great shape. The guy who owned it before me seeme to really take care of it...had to have been garaged. I have no service records but it seems to have been well maintained.
        As for the bumper I believe it’s stock, but the color does make it look aluminum-like in that pic. Ill post some better/more recent pics as soon as I wash it - it’s looking a lot better with that faded tint removed.

Comment

Looking good! The car looks really straight and clean, nice pick-up.
          1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
          SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
          Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

The best deals on E30s nowadays are the 4 door autos.... Least molested of all E30s. Im happy with mine and I just finished getting the auto to manual swap finished. The auto won my respect, but it was never going to last haha
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

nice find, looks like a score! good luck with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                The best deals on E30s nowadays are the 4 door autos.... Least molested of all E30s. Im happy with mine and I just finished getting the auto to manual swap finished. The auto won my respect, but it was never going to last haha
                Completely agree. And yes, day-to-day, the auto isn't hideous. But there are certainly moments when you'd like to be more engaged...and you feel kinda lame just mashing the gas. Glad to hear you've finally finished your swap and hope you're enjoying it.

Comment

New Year Updates - lots of photos ahead!

First off: yes, it's still an automatic...

Have put just around 3,000 miles on the car in the year I've owned it. (I walk or ride my bike to work, so pretty much only drive it a couple times a week). Mechanically, the car has been solid. Since the initial timing belt service and valve adjustment, I've just changed the oil (I run 20W-50) and replaced front rotors. The weeping head gasket issue is still there, but it's such a slight leak (that goes away when the engine warms up) so I'm not worrying.

I've pretty much just been making cosmetic tweaks here and there that you will see in the photos ahead.

Last month, I ordered a set of Ronal LS wheels from r3v member Phil (Kaikane40). Highly recommend him if you're in the market for these wheels. He's got a FS thread here. Hats off to another r3v member Toby (TFJR) for inspiring me to run these wheels. His Lachs four door has provided lots of inspiration as I sort mine out.

Couldn't wait to get the new wheels on my car when they came last month.

I ended up going with the same tires Toby did, Yokohama S-Drives 205 / 55 / R15. I got two of the tires from Amazon, since I had about $200 in gift cards lying around. That helped to bring the total cost down a bit. Had Chatsworth Tire order the other two and brought everything over there today for the install (my family, starting with my grandpa, have been going there for 40+ years). One of the guys there was very complimentary of my car.
                  Snapped a quick pick before pic. Bye bye to the old setup (MB Mesh X w/ Kumho 195 / 60 / R15 - wheels are now for sale, PM me):

Got an alignment:

I knew I would like the new setup, but was pretty blown away when I rounded the corner and saw my car. The wider tires really fill out nicely:

Stopped to get it washed on the way home.

And then stopped for a little photo shoot:

Overall, I'm really liking the new setup. It's noticeably quieter than it was before and the tires have great grip. And as low as my car is, I've not experienced any rubbing. I'm actually excited for the rain we are supposed to have coming up end of next week so I can see the wet performance difference as well. I was slipping and sliding a lot during the last rainstorm we had....

I snapped a few interior pics as well to show off some other upgrades: sport seats, Mtech I wheel, E46 vert floor mats, and Continental Head Unit (modified by Jimmy - earthwormjim - so that the LEDs match better)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23PLFCF]

Here's a photo of the modified headunit, lit up. I tried to take a few photos head-on, but the camera makes it seem brighter than it is. In person, it's pretty much a dead-on match to the BMW orange. Though the color / brightness is off in the last two pics, they do give you a sense of the before and after.

Before:

After:

There are always little cosmetic things to tweak. Wishlist moving forward includes headlights, fog and turn signal lenses, euro trim, a new front lip, and more. I did a once over of the Mtech wheel with Leatherique, but I need to take the time and do it a little more thoroughly. I think sanding a little more and investing in an airbrush setup will help immensely. I'm also in the market for some Lachssilber side mirrors. I had ordered two from eBay, but one of them turned out not to be Lachs after the seller had confirmed it was, so for now I just have a left side mirror.

One last update is that a garage opened up in my building, which I jumped on, so I guess she's officially a garage queen now Nice to not have to worry about parking tickets, sprinklers, idiots stealing my grill (that happened...), and the like.

Overall, the car is great, and looking forward to making more improvements down the line.Thanks for reading.
                  Last edited by e30_troy; 01-26-2019, 09:38 PM. Reason: Turns out I've only put 3,000 miles on the car. 2,999 to be exact...

Comment

Great find, what type of wheels were on it before you purchased the Bbs wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by 325isman View Post
                      Great find, what type of wheels were on it before you purchased the Bbs wheels?
                      I believe they are MB (Discount Tire brand) "Mesh X". 15" 4x100. The new wheels are Ronal LS, not BBS.

Comment

First E30: '89 Lachssilber 325i Four Door

Originally posted by e30_troy View Post

One last update is that a garage opened up in my building, which I jumped on, so I guess she's officially a garage queen now Nice to not have to worry about parking tickets, sprinklers, idiots stealing my grill (that happened...), and the like.

A garage is a wonderful thing, glad that new grille will be safe now lol

Car is looking fantastic BTW
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          A garage is a wonderful thing, glad that new grille will be safe now lol

Car is looking fantastic BTW
                          Thanks! and, forgot to give you credit for supplying said new grille lol.

Comment

Great round of updates! Do you know if there's a write-up for the head unit modification?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                              Great round of updates! Do you know if there's a write-up for the head unit modification?
                              Thank you! See earthwormjim's posts in these two threads:
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...=424765&page=2
                              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...316683&page=11

Comment

Working...
                              X