Getrag 240 from M42 compatible with M40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 240 from M42 compatible with M40

Hey guys, short time lurker, first time poster. I purchased my first E30 over the summer and promptly fell in love. So when I had the opportunity to buy a Touring model I jumped at it. Come to find out it is equipped with the M40 engine, which was never available in the US. I’ve been able to get parts I’ve needed so far without too much trouble though.

The problem I currently have is today 3rd gear started popping out. I’m new to turning wrenches, but google told me it’s probably the 3rd gear synchros. I’ve decided to just put in a new Getrag 240. I found a couple for under $200, but they are off of M42 engines. My question is will they work with the M40 engine? I’ve sleuthed around and from what I can tell the output flanges are different, but possibly interchangeable? Any insight the board can offer would be huge. A few months ago I knew next to nothing about cars and thanks to this board I’ve been able to learn and fix a lot on my own. I’ll also be doing the S50 swap in the future when I think I can handle it. Thanks in advance for any help, and many belated thank yous for the help I’ve already received from old threads!

If your M40 car has the single mass flywheel, definitely reuse that. It's ~ 5 lbs lighter than the dual mass that came in the US M42 cars. That flywheel works fine with the G240.

Comment

They're the same transmissions, don't think there are different output flanges, so if you had to swap output flanges I'd be surprised, but it wouldn't be hard to do

Do be aware that there are two input shaft sizes for the M40/42 G240s, which may impact the pilot bearing that you will need. Unless you have to change the pilot bearing you could just leave your FW/clutch/PP in place.

Also, consider a rebuild of your shifter while you're there, and don't be tempted to do the rear main seal unless it's leaking.

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I definitely got the answer I was looking for, and some info I didn’t know I needed. I’m putting the Touring away for the winter and I’ll be doing the tranny swap soon. The info you guys provided is priceless! Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X