Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to the E30 Chambers

Hey All,

This forum comes highly recommended from a friend of over 30 years. Above-mentioned friend along with a mutual buddy of ours who is going to build a madmax E30 one of these days spent hours of their time over the past few months helping in the search of forums, BAT, CL, etc so first of all thanks to Simon (2mAn) I am excited to finally be back in an E30!

I spent about six or seven months patiently waiting for the right car to come along but as I commute to work with a bicycle and the rain/winter is coming I ended up settling on a bone stock 1988 325iS with H&R Sports. It's been hit twice in its past, fender benders not on the carfax but the hood and the driver's side fender have been swapped out with paint-matched pieces at some point in its past. It's also got a dent on the passenger door and probably a dozen door dings from 30 years of California parking lot horse shit.

Initially it seemed to be a better car than it actually was (my bad on not noticing the fucking kickdown button under the gas pedal for one) but since I'm not in the business of flipping these cars for profit I'm married to it now. The good news is all the "major" maintenance was done before I bought it (water pump, timing belt, guibo, etc.), i.e. the usual buy and flip for a profit treatment.

I'm refreshing the car with a performance suspension over the next month: (all new control arms, tie rods, bushings, poly and rubber mounts where applicable), IE3 springs, fixed camber plates, upgrading to a Z3 rack. The IE standard/stock brake kit with drilled and slotted rotors is going in as well. Also dropping in a momo and an IE short shift kit with a dual selector rod over the next couple weeks.

Stage 1 clutchmasters dual mass clutch and lightened flywheel need to happen sooner than later as its currently engaging at the very top. Tranny is getting love at that time as well.

I actually just finished lowering the steering column! Just needed a pilot chamfer and an extractor for the two anti-theft bolts. Took about 5 minutes after disassembly and planning. Easy!

Eventually a supercharged S52 motor swap in the summer but the stereo I have planned for this thing is going to be insanity and that's what I'll be tinkering with over the winter while I source everything for the swap and BAR so look for me mainly in the car audio/electronics section until spring time as I get all the BMW bells and whistles working again and the stereo fabrication going in the garage.

Looking forward to working with you all in getting our E30s where we want them to be. My specialty is mainly in auto electrical, wiring, and car audio but I'll be happy to help you guys out in any way I can.

All right, enough already. Who wants to see my little German bitch?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by E30Bastard; 11-19-2018, 03:59 PM.
    "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

And here's the ride too! :hitler:
    Attached Files

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Cool, but whats going on with that Alfa!?!

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bastard View Post
        All right, enough already. Who wants to see my little German bitch?
        A fitting end to your intro post

If you're able to dig up pics of the other E30, please do...

This bastard used to own a 100% bone stock M10 318 complete with an insane stereo (see the trend?) and some sticky Toyo tires. Massive body roll in in the backroads and all the WOT that M10 could take... those were the days
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Heres the pic he sent me when he first bought the car... just look how happy he is

Car has a nice stance too
          Attached Files
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Subscribed.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Lol Simon! Holy cow I look stoked lol

Hey Davie,

To answer your question it is a 1978 Niki Lauda Spider Veloce 2000. Fully and faithfully restored bumper to bumper by yours truly except for the paint. That car is done and completely stock. Won't be changing a thing on it either as I think it is an engineering marvel in its original form! I did keep a thread on it on AlfaBB but I was terrible at keeping it updated. I was really good at asking a fuckton of stupid questions, though...

I'm actually still really good at that now that I think about it...

As an update:

New blower resistor revealed a new issue with the fan now blowing at the 4th speed. The passenger side fins are all brittle and cracked causing the fan itself to expand from the centrifugal force and strike the inside of its housing or enclosure as it is spinning. I counted the fins and wrapped zip ties around every five fins whether or not they were cracked/broken or not for even weight distribution. If you have this issue or something like it make sure that the zip locks are on the inside of the fan wheel unless you want even more insanity at 4th speed than before.

Can provide videos of the issue if anyone is curious but I forgot to take pics of the fix and proper operation of the fan because it was 1AM and I was still somewhat hammered from that badass Rams game.;D

Notes: Everything on the passenger side seems brittle and cooked. Possible heater core failure in the past? I barely touched the plastic retaining strap on the passenger side and my fat fucking finger broke it right off. The driver's side plastic retaining strap and the fan seemed supple and pliable. It didn't seem like anyone had been in there before but there's really no telling. The heater core didn't look ancient so it was probably replaced at some point and maybe that's why all the plastic seems so cooked on the passenger side...failing core and a searing hot coolant mist of death?

***Edit***Fix for the broken bottom half of the passenger side retaining strap was some bicycle cable with a washer on the end to sit flat against the inside of the housing. I fed the cable through the hole from the inside of the bottom of the housing and pulled until the washer was flat against it and cable was taut, then I slid the cover back into place and used the holes in the top half of the retaining strap to cinch the blower motor cover back into place. No difference at all in the way its seated now as opposed to factory condition before I started dicking with it. Will message blunttech for the replacement parts.
              Last edited by E30Bastard; 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Gorgeous GSD.
                ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

EFF UUU
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Since the fuel gauge headache seems to be done the Bastard has moved on to his real passion... audio

Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Why not mount those from underneath for a cleaner install? Put that backing plate underneath?
                      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                        Why not mount those from underneath for a cleaner install? Put that backing plate underneath?
                        my thoughts exactly
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                        IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

His car has the premium rear speakers so I think the opening doesnt match with the larger speaker. The plate mounted underneath would've worked if he had the basic smaller rear speaker openings. I know he ordered 5.25" speakers but I think he ended up with 6" or something and a much better speaker so he just ran with it

Im just guessing, but I think thats why.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Hi All,

The plates wouldn't have worked from underneath because of the awkward PS cutout. Plus these monster Hertz 6.5 barely clear by about 1/16" the way they sit now. If I put that plate underneath they'd bottom out. Also, the speakers are about 20 pounds each...I like the retromod look anyway. Looks super clean in the car.

Ended up going with Hertz Mille MLK (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_301MLK...EaAlXVEALw_wcB) back there. I shit you not these are the best sounding/most accurate 6.5" speakers I have ever heard. They take everything I can throw at them and do not distort.

I went with hertz mille 5.25 in the front and a JL8W7. Hertz amp with 150rms x4 for the higher end of the spectrum, JL 500/1 monoblock for the boom.

I think I will have to do a few posts over the next couple days here lol

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Update:

Cheap brakepad and rotor replacement (autozone special until I finish convincing myself to upgrade the brakes and nix the ABS which I'm pretty works as well as the AC does), IE Stage 3, Koni Single Adjustables, trailing arm bushings, subframe bushings, diff bushing, trans mounts, motor mounts, CSB, sway bar bushings, end links, control arms, fixed camber plates, drop hats, strut bearings, and tie rod ends have all been installed.

I have also gone ahead and performed an oil change, diff service and a tranny service.

Replaced every sensor in the car except the TPS, o2, and oil pressure sensors which I'm waiting for in the mail (more on that later, chasing a god damned intermittent CEL and the fucking stomp test isn't working, etc).

E30 steering rack has been yanked and replaced with a Z3 2.7 LTL. Steering flex coupler went the way of poly too. Dropped the steering column down and slapped on a momo.

I feel like I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff!

Told you guys I'm complete shit at keeping threads, didn't I?

Next up - HD dual mass clutch, lightened flywheel. Gonna change out all the goodies, pivot points, and bushings with the recommended upgrades while I'm in there too. I have an IE short shifter waiting in the box with a dual selector rod as well.

After this is done I will be turning my focus to the headliner and some DentPro work while 2mAn very patiently listens to me bitch about the previous owner's horseshit almost every single day and helps me figure out how best to blow my m20 into pieces with a turbo. Parts for this will be sourced over the winter/spring.

Sidenote - I swear to God every time I work on this car I find evidence of yet another accident or something broken hidden beneath a thin veil of plastic or metal. This thing was some dumb, rich blonde's bumper car in Beverly Hills 100% (she's listed as the first owner in the service manual back in 1988, and it was originally automatic). Fuck you, Maxine!

Y'all know I'm right!!! : )))))))

P.S.

The wheels I've gotten for this thing are staggered and awesome but they're just sitting stacked in the garage because the tires I went with don't like the rain very much. Pics and details coming soon!
                              Last edited by E30Bastard; 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Working...
                              X