Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Brake Pressure Regulator - Can I bypass it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake Pressure Regulator - Can I bypass it?

Hei guys,

I'm well into installing my Chase Bays Front to Rear Brake line kit (which is awesome, BTW). But I've run into a snag.

I didn't realize there was the brake pressure regulator under the master cylinder, and it's a real you know what to get at. I still have some ideas about getting the line off, I'm trying to snip off the bottom of the hardline so I can get a stubby in there to get the fitting off. But if I get nowhere with it, can I bypass this piece? My car is NON-ABS .

I saw these two older threads:

Which lead me to this:

From my reading of it, what it sounds like is if I should bypass and delete this pressure regulator, the rear brakes will get more force. I have no issue if I use rear pads a bit more. With my daily driving, I'm getting 100K kmn plus on a set of pads.

I'm running a 1986 stock Eta engine, NON-ABS, stock springs, TRW pads front and rear and my struts are new Bilstein B4s, front and rear. The car is daily driven.

Really need an answer ASAP.

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by estoguy; 12-20-2018, 08:48 PM. Reason: new info
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Update, so I went ahead and bypassed the regulator... Honestly haven't noticed a huge difference in braking at all. The car got a good run today of over 400 km on highway and in town driving, no issues, so even with a stock setup, bypassing seems that regulator doesn't seem to pose a problem.
    Estoguy

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

I'm pretty sure it won't pose a problem... until you need it. I think it's been discussed on here before that it's there so you don't fishtail.

Comment

On a track car this is a worthwhile mod.
        It allows you to actually get some work out of the rear brakes.
        I ran my E30M3 like this for years when it had stock brakes with no adjustable rear bias valve.
        Be aware that in a track use scenario my rear brake pad consumption doubled then going to 2 sets of rears to every set of fronts.

However,,, On a street car I dont see the benefit. Just a mod to say I did a mod. I dont think you will ever realize any benefit unless you drive really dangerously on the street.

And,,, on a non-ABS car it just might bite you in the ass some day on a panic stop.

I have always been a huge advocate of this mod,,, on tracked E30s with stock brakes.
        On a street car I would never bother.
        Jimmy P.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
        98 318Ti Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Seems like it would cause the rear brakes to lock up under hard braking, which is obviously bad. Try mashing the pedal at 20-30mph and see what happens.

Comment

I want to do just the opposite. I want to install a regulator to reduce the pressure on the back brakes. I was having a problem at Road Atlanta, in the rain, when trying to trail brake around corners. The rears were wanting to lock up and the back end was coming around. Made for a bit of white-knuckled racing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
              Seems like it would cause the rear brakes to lock up under hard braking, which is obviously bad. Try mashing the pedal at 20-30mph and see what happens.

I've done a few hard mashes and the braking is just fine, no locking at the rear. YMMV
              Estoguy

Comment

Working...
              X