Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing convertible top

Have you replaced the top on your E 30?
    If so, what top did you use, what did it cost?
    Are you happy with the top and installation?
    What "pitfalls" did you encounter?
    This is serious stuff guys....
    DOC
    BMWCCA 12660

Do your homework Noob.....
    Read some posts here....

Comment

I got the $400 top off of Ebay. I installed it myself and very happy with it so far. Been on for little over 3 years now.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by Cptcarisma View Post
        Do your homework Noob.....
        Read some posts here....
        Really.....NOT NICE...someone steal your lollypop!
        BMWCCA 12660

Comment

Originally posted by DOC-K View Post
          Really.....NOT NICE...someone steal your lollypop!
          People on this site are usually very helpful and spend a lot of time answering questions and posting pictures. Your small number of posts and the very general nature of your question leads to a reasonable assumption that you are either a noob to E30s or are just starting to work on yours for the first time. Nothing wrong with that. We were all there at one point.

When I ask a very basic or very general question, I usually preface it with a brief explanation of the steps I've already taken to find the answer. I do this for three reasons: (1) it's a safe assumption that the question has already been answered numerous times on this site and I just failed to find the answer, (2) posting that type of question with no context leads to the very reasonable assumption that the poster thinks their time is more valuable than everyone else's and didn't spend any time searching for the answer, and (3) a little humility and self awareness goes a long way to unlocking the awesome info on this site and awesome knowledge of the community.

Cory
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Very eloquently put, Cory. Thanks. He made some very valid points & I apologize for coming off short. I was just being matter of fact.! The site & quite a few of the members here are quite helpful. Good luck & enjoy your e30!

Best Regards,
            CAPP :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
              I got the $400 top off of Ebay. I installed it myself and very happy with it so far. Been on for little over 3 years now.
              This isn't the r3v of old. Thanks for the informative post Jay!

The PO is hardly a noob, but maybe just isn't as forum savvy as others. ;)
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

how bad was it to do the install. I have never done a top and am hesitant about doing it.

Comment

Also for some of us visual learners, the sticky post on this topic doesn’t show up with pictures. Not sure if it’s just my iPhone or it’s everyone.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Read the entire “Sticky: An E30 convertible top install” thread as a start.

bradnic has kindly restored the thread with photos, but you have to go to the last page to find his update.

I have not yet done my top, but a friend did his and says it wasn’t that bad of a job. He’s not experienced in upholstery, but he is a master mechanic.

As with most of this stuff, your individual skill level has a lot to do with how difficult the job will be for you.
                    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                    1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                    Palm Beach County

Comment

Pretty easy to do, but it takes time. Send me your email and I'll give you my Word doc (with pics) for step by step installation.

Comment

Working...
                      X