best tuning chip for obd1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
    Yes pretty much as I said. Mechanical mods and engine tuned for those makes more hp.

But my original point was those unnaturally high TORQUE numbers previously compared to engine displacement = false hp readings from those dynojet dyno results. You can't say that this or that particular tuner is better than some other if these better tune results are based on false dyno readings.
    So the s54 doesn't exist, or the numbers are fake? They are also a 3.2l, how can they achieve such high numbers?

You do realize engines can achieve over 100% ve?

Even if the numbers don't match what you think they should, I have been using the same dyno for 8yrs, so if the tuned numbers are skewed, then so are the base numbers - making the gains valid. As I posted earlier in this thread I have dyno'd stock s52's on the same dyno and they come in at about 210whp. You really think that number is "that" inflated compared to the stock 240bhp rating?
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

S54 is rated for 269ft-lbs for 3.2 litre engine. And the dyno graph on the first page had 276ft-lbs from crank with 15% drivetrain loss from 3 liter engine. That's 92ft-lbs per liter and the s54 "only" puts out 84ft-lbs per liter even though it's way more sophisticated engine than m5x ones. 240 ft-lbs from crank is probably much closer to the reality than from wheels. But I will stop this here. No worth going this back and forth..

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
        Car also ran a 13.1 three times the same night with a 2.1 60ft on the dragstrip. 105mph trap speed. (all from memory)
        what was the weight? this is an e36 right or is it in an e30?
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

270whp and 240ft-lbs from wheels? Please tell me how that is done because with nominal 15% drivetrain loss that is 310hp and 276ft-lbs from crank which are figures that make you the worlds best engine tuner ever. Thats 92ft-lbs per litre which would you put on the top list of most torque per litre on NA engine, beating manufacturers that have used big money and years of development for their race engines.

If that's crank hp, not whp, those numbers are more feasible. But still I would like to know what has done to the engine, because it's still not easy figure to get out of m5x based engine.
          dont read too much into it or try an make sense of it you wont get anywhere trying to back calculate flywheel from the wheels

the losses for a RWD manual will be lower than people think and particularly so at peak torque
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
            How do I know if I need a chip for my car?

Right now I have the "hot intake", ebay longtube headers with no cats that go to a muffler.

Also has the pink top injectors. Other than that it is stock.

Will the car run "rough" without a tune or just not have enough power?
            Aren't pink tops the stock injectors on M52s? If so you'll be fine. If not, get a tune. The ECU won't be able to compensate for the added flow of upgraded injectors. Other than that it's mostly stock so it'll work without a tune. Getting a tune will give you a bump in power but it is more worth it when you have more mods.
            Originally posted by Melon
            Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
              Aren't pink tops the stock injectors on M52s? If so you'll be fine. If not, get a tune. The ECU won't be able to compensate for the added flow of upgraded injectors. Other than that it's mostly stock so it'll work without a tune. Getting a tune will give you a bump in power but it is more worth it when you have more mods.
              After doing a little searching, the pink tops are stock for the m52b28 motor.

Right now I'd just like to get it running right and then be able to mod it. Would like to do m50 intake and s52 cams.
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

S54 is rated for 269ft-lbs for 3.2 litre engine. And the dyno graph on the first page had 276ft-lbs from crank with 15% drivetrain loss from 3 liter engine. That's 92ft-lbs per liter and the s54 "only" puts out 84ft-lbs per liter even though it's way more sophisticated engine than m5x ones. 240 ft-lbs from crank is probably much closer to the reality than from wheels. But I will stop this here. No worth going this back and forth..
                And? There are plenty of S54s that put down a lot more than 269ft/lbs with tuning.

this thread makes my brain hurt. Stop trying to calculate BHP from the wheels. It's pointless - dyno's are a tool, used to tune the engine, not a dick measuring stick..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  what was the weight? this is an e36 right or is it in an e30?
                  E36. 2,580 with driver that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaker View Post
                    E36. 2,580 with driver that night.
                    2580? typo? should do way way more mph than 105 with 300-310 flywheel as in like 115

a 3600lb e36 S50b32 (stock euro) does 103-105MPH with 316bhp

Comment

Pink injectors are 21lb, and came in all the OBD2 e36's. If you use them in and OBD1 setup, it will run fairly rich without a matching chip (OBD1 used 17lb).
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        Pink injectors are 21lb, and came in all the OBD2 e36's. If you use them in and OBD1 setup, it will run fairly rich without a matching chip (OBD1 used 17lb).
                        Thank you! It was also brought to my attention about the FPR and that when the swap was done that I may not have one on the car. Once I'm feeling better I need to check.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd

Comment

If you're after an OBD1 fuel rail with a brand new FPR, I have one for sale that would not cost you very much.

Comment

Jaker, pm sent
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd

Comment

Working...
                            X